It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
CNN is showing some pictures that have come in and it doesn't look good. Many buildings destroyed and the casualties will be high.

Our hopes and prayers go out to Haiti.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Canslli

As much as i dont want deaths if there are any lets hope it was quck and not dragged out.

This needs to be posted on more sites maybe just maybe people will be willing to help out more and stop moaning about the snow in the UK.

Any ideas on how to help these people other than the normal ways...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I do not mean to sound weird or anything. But I would have rather the quake hit my town. We would have been a bit better off and been able to react with medical and rescue services far faster.

not to be wierd either but I feel the same, of all the places to experience another disaster.... poor Haiti

I know there is a large population in South Florida ready to assist as soon as we get the word on how best we can do so with goods and supplies, but in the mean time donating to your favorite international charity will help.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
twitpic.com...

Photos are for all to see, this guy is right there,

Credited: CAREL PEDRE

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
city centre of Port au Prince destroyed according to AFP

Also another aftershock just hit while skynew man was on camera,

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
reply to post by Canslli

As much as i dont want deaths if there are any lets hope it was quck and not dragged out.

This needs to be posted on more sites maybe just maybe people will be willing to help out more and stop moaning about the snow in the UK.

Any ideas on how to help these people other than the normal ways...

There are reports of people screaming and crying from the rubble...How awful.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaPrime

When you hear things like this its so scary and makes you want to help so much...

I dont know any sites other than this one if you feel you want to volunteer outside where you live for emergencys like thse look at this.
www.volunteering.org.uk...

Also to everyone when your shopping and you pick up that item you dont really need just think how much futher would it goes for aid in this situation.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Update:

AFP: headquarters of the U.N. Stabilization Mission in Haiti has been destroyed, numerous people underneath the rubble, both dead, injured

Gosh these people are going to need all the help we can give, I hope that all of our countries pull together to send aid there way,

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Full Summary From USGS

Earthquake Summary

Tectonic Summary

The January 12, 2010, Haiti earthquake occurred in the boundary region separating the Caribbean plate and the North America plate. This plate boundary is dominated by left-lateral strike slip motion and compression, and accommodates about 20 mm/y slip, with the Caribbean plate moving eastward with respect to the North America plate. Haiti occupies the western part of the island of Hispaniola, one of the Greater Antilles islands, situated between Puerto Rico and Cuba.

At the longitude of the January 12 earthquake, motion between the Caribbean and North American plates is partitioned between two major east-west trending, strike-slip fault systems -- the Septentrional fault system in northern Haiti and the Enriquillo-Plaintain Garden fault system in southern Haiti.

The location and focal mechanism of the earthquake are consistent with the event having occurred as left-lateral strike slip faulting on the Enriquillo-Plaintain Garden fault system. This fault system accommodates about 7 mm/y, nearly half the overall motion between the Caribbean plate and North America plate. The Enriquillo-Plaintain Garden fault system has not produced a major earthquake in recent decades. The EPGFZ is the likely source of historical large earthquakes in 1860, 1770, 1761, 1751, 1684, 1673, and 1618, though none of these has been confirmed in the field as associated with this fault.

In other words... this is a somewhat unusual earthquake (other than just being large). I don't mean unnatural or caused by HAARP (please don't say that, can't think of any good reason to cause an earthquake in the poorest country in the Western hemisphere) but not something anyone really had on their radar.

Edited to add link: earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 12-1-2010 by quakewatcher]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
As of right now, RSOE has 18 quakes ranging from 4.x to 7.x, all within about 50 miles.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Hello everyone. I live in the capital of the neighboring country, the Dominican Republic an let me tell you, this is serious stuff. As you know, we share the island with our haitian brothers and sisters and the shock was so intense that it was felt all the way here! Much milder mind you but serious enough to get people hysterical. We are talking 156 miles or so.

Haiti is extremely poor, and though their urban structures are not tall skyscrapers and buildings, they are very old and poorly constructed for the most part. The influx of refugees will be a serious issue on our side depending on the loss of life and homelessness levels and will not doubt affect greatly our country as well. There is also widespread xenophobia and racism against the haitians, so I'm expecting an inevitable socio-political conflict.

It's just a terrible situation overall.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Isawsomething]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
city centre of Port au Prince destroyed according to AFP

Also another aftershock just hit while skynew man was on camera,

think you could find video of this..?

i just read a news story that said "thousands" are dead...
www.timesonline.co.uk...

poor haitians indeed... is there a god?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Isawsomething

thank you for posting to this thread, I've heard about the issues your country faces with your Haitian brothers and sisters and this will indeed be a very trying and hard time for the island on a whole. Please keep us posted with info and what's going on in the DR with this too.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There are two million people in Port-Au-Prince alone. This does not look good.

I have a feeling deaths may reach 1 million because of how people would build on top of one another

Lord have mercy.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
appaently the quake is the largest to hit the area ....EVER. so i think this disaster may be right up there with katrina and the tsunami...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Gosh you can see the dust cloud, and its so awfull hearing people panic, Goodness i feel so helpless right now!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Any official word on the number of casualties? Port Au Prince is a very very densely populated area, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of dead exceed 10,000+ mark

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

as do I.. Haiti is practically in South Florida's backyard, we should have ships going there right now with supplies and army of rescuers but sadly I don't think things work that way in our reality...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just some of the snippits of info coming out about things there, So tragic,

Gas station fell on top of occupied car during Haiti earthquake.

Widespread Power Outages In Haiti: Witnesses - CNN

If you are looking for family:

The number for Americans, who are looking for information about family members in Haiti, is 1-888-407-4747

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join