It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
To those who don't think anybody would run a scam during a tragedy is fooling them selfs Haiti survives day to day with donations and right now they see a donation bonanza as this is going on this is a economic boom for them so just beware if you donate. Its not that I don't feel sorry for them I just remeber Katrina and the rip off it was , even the scams from 911 were Rudy Giuliani is still in charge of where the money should be spent as he takes his share each month for being in charge of it and how long ago was that now.

Best thing to do is give blood.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Too bad human nature is so depraved. It's good to be careful that you give to an organization you know is going to use it as you intented.
Getting a team there is difficult. The more people you send, the more planning it requires. Remember you need to have suppies for yourselves and countless others. And it's still dangerous, lots of shaking still going on. Speed is important, but so is level headed planning.
I think massive earthmoving machines and big cranes are needed, not something you throw in the suitcase and go with. Of course, once you get them out of rubbel, you need lots of medical supplies and a safe place to put them and then food and water. How about electricity. You can hurry right over, but digging with your hands isn't very effective. So, even if you got there ASAP, if you don't have the equipment, it isn't enough. Better plan.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
www.law.umaryland.edu...

In the first days following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, an unprecedented number of Americans contributed over $2.2 billion (some estimates run as high as $2.7 billion) in donations to assist in the relief of victims. (Two hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center, a third into the Pentagon, and a fourth went down in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.) According to the New York State Attorney General’s office, over 250 new charitable funds were created in the weeks following the 9/11 crisis.

Thats 250 new charitable funds were created in the weeks following the 9/11 crisis with people taking 80% of the donations to pay for over head. Or scammers stealing relief funds.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Don't donate

End of Crisis

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48
reply to post by JBA2848

Don't donate

End of Crisis

I think you are wrong.

Even if you donate or not, the crisis exists outside of our actions.

Also, refusing to pitch in (which is your right), only increases the difficulty others will face in resolving the crisis.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Another earthquake in Mexico.
Better save your donations, California might fall into the ocean in a day or so.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Compulsionist

You do know it was the US Military with boots on the ground that opened the airport they landed at? Give them time and credit. Ships are there now and others are on the way. You can't fly in the kind of aid they need. They need cargo ship loads of food and aid and hundreds of rescue teams. A Hospital Ship is on the way now. Ships can't move at hundreds of miles per hour.

If you think they can get relief into a disaster of this size in one day, you are not being realistic at all. Truckloads of goods have to be driven to where they are loaded on planes and ships. Personal have to be rounded up and walk away from their own families and lives, which they will do.

Fortunately they are close to where US Navy Ship's are docked, so they can get there quickly along with the Coast Guard that is already there.

A small dedicated team of rescue workers can most certainly get there fast, but in the grand scheme they can only help a few people. What is needed is large numbers of people and supplies. That Hospital Ship with state of the art medical care will do more good than anything else I'd imagine. A few MD's with what they can carry in a small plane can only do so much.

The money is on the way also. I've already asked my Wife to issue a check which is the best I can do. Haiti's GNP is likely less than they will receive from the US alone, not to mention the rest of the world. That Hospital ship likely costs more per day to operate than most countries will send in total.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Edited to say that I had misunderstood.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
20,000 US Marines may be diverted from a planned deployment to Afghanistan to assist in the rescue efforts in Haiti. Additional US Navy and US Coast Guard ships are on the way.

EDIT: I think it's embarrassing that tiny Iceland their tiny company sized Crisis Response Unit there quicker then everyone else ... using civilian airliners no less! Where is that Royal Netherlands Navy/Marines/Air Force task force stationed in Aruba? I know they have at least half a dozen helicopters. How about the British Royal Navy's Caribbean squadron? How about those special Mexican Red Cross search and rescue units?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by ChrisF231]

Be for real here. Tiny teams of course can get there fast and maybe help a handful of people. What is needed though is medical care and food for hundreds of thousands of people and nobody on this planet could get that kind of aid there as fast as some are demanding. That is unrealistic to say the least. Impossible in fact.

As to Iceland's team, they are there because others opened the airport. Lets be for real about this and stop this my country got there faster than your country nonsense.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

True , I'm not being realistic , its no small operation.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

That is my intention of saying watch the scams. Like I said im not saying don't feel sorry for them and im not saying don''t donate just don't hand money out for the scammers to grab which they will in a heart beat. And watch the goverment itself because politians love to get rich off of tragedy such as Rudy. Donate to the well established orginzations and not the 250 or more that are fly by night organizations that are just out for there share of the money. Well established organizations most likely already have infrastructure for getting money supplies so on to Haiti because they have been doing it for years. But the new ones don't and will spend that money on not the victims but there over heads and pockets for setting things up, but by the time they set up its pretty much over.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think Guantanamo bay is being used for some of the medical operations going on but it could of been a false report from the msm.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I get your point. No problem. We in fact were making the same point.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Looks like youtube has a click here to donate button for the American Red Cross up. I'm glad they are doing something about it, youtube gets many people daily.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
www.newschannel9.com...

Helping Haiti? Beware of Scammers
Comments 4 | Recommend 0
January 13, 2010 12:09 PM
Dan Lehr
Many people are opening their hearts & pocketbooks to help the victims of the Haitian earthquake.

But if you're not careful, you could be the victim of a scammer out for your money.

From an e-mail sent to us by the Better Business Bureau:

January 13, 2009 – Arlington, VA – As immediate relief needs are assessed in the wake of the devastating earthquake in Haiti on January 12th, many Americans are looking for ways to help by donating to a charity. The Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance warns that—as occurred following the tsunami in 2004 and Katrina in 2005—fraudulent charities will likely emerge to try and scam donations from well-meaning Americans.

“Whenever there is a major natural disaster, be it home or abroad, there are two things you can count on. The first is the generosity of Americans to donate time and money to help victims, and the second is the appearance of poorly run and in some cases fraudulent charities,” said Art Taylor, President and CEO of the BBB Wise Giving Alliance. “Not only do Americans need to be concerned about avoiding fraud, they also need to make sure their money goes to competent relief organizations that are equipped and experienced to handle the unique challenges of providing assistance.”

BBB Wise Giving Alliance offers the following six tips to help Americans decide where to direct donations:

Rely on expert opinion when it comes to evaluating a charity.

Be cautious when relying on third-party recommendations such as bloggers or other Web sites, as they might not have fully researched the listed relief organizations. The public can go to www.bbb.org/charityto research charities and relief organizations to verify that they are accredited by the BBB and meet the 20 Standards for Charity Accountability.

Be wary of claims that 100 percent of donations will assist relief victims.

Be cautious when giving online.

Be cautious about online giving, especially in response to spam messages and emails that claim to link to a relief organization. In response to the tsunami disaster in 2004, there were concerns raised about many Web sites and new organizations that were created overnight allegedly to help victims.

Find out if the charity has an on-the-ground presence in the impacted areas.

Unless the charity already has staff in the effected areas, it may be difficult to get new aid workers to quickly provide assistance. See if the charity’s website clearly describes what they can do to address immediate needs.

Find out if the charity is providing direct aid or raising money for other groups.

Some charities may be raising money to pass along to relief organizations. If so, you may want to consider “avoiding the middleman” and giving directly to charities that have a presence in the region. Or, at a minimum, check out the ultimate recipients of these donations to ensure the organizations are equipped to effectively provide aid.

Gifts of clothing, food or other in-kind donations.

In-kind drives for food and clothing—while well intentioned— may not necessarily be the quickest way to help those in need - unless the organization has the staff and infrastructure to be able to properly distribute such aid. Ask the charity about their transportation and distribution plans. Be wary of those who are not experienced in disaster relief assistance.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
THose morons saying that harp, had something to do with this just shows the quality of the people on this website, in which is in my opinion a big deal for the webmaster and moderators. Somethings need to be governed especially when people with a higher pedigree, via inteligence and I suppose health somehow found this sight for alternative news.

I am horrified with some of the morons that are making posts on this topic..

I have high standards i come here looking for intellects, to discuss things that are unexplainable, due to one of our instincts in nature we were not given.. Why are we here and what for, and why do things like Haiti, occur. Not stupid bullcrap, about some magical harp program, giving man a big undeserved godlike presence on this earth.. Point and Case, This is Mothernature, God or the unexplained that did this Not man.. LOL...

I think we need some more mentally balanced men and women, moderating these Normal venues of post, as oppose to the fairy tale sections..

Unless well ATS, wants the respect of morons posting fairy tale bs.. On a Alternative news venue that some normal people come to, to get the real news..

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Bicent76]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

If you read most of this thread is down to Earth, sensible stuff. There are places for deep conspiracy threads. Yes, they do show up here, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. There's lots of good info and discussion going on here. Don't get do annoyed - chill. Lots of important stuff, don't let the little stuff get under your skin!

[edit on 1/13/2010 by zachi]

[edit on 1/13/2010 by zachi]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

i thought he said 1 million prisoners??? Unless CNN teletyped the wrong information. I thought that number was a little suspect, but then again, Haiti is the poorest nation in the hemisphere soooo... Coruption + Poverty = Crime?
If the whole Prison was breached as they said, the Prison is "Empty" how many prisoners does it hold?

O.k. I got some info off the net.
OVERVIEW

Haiti’s overcrowded, understaffed and insecure prisons are powder kegs awaiting a spark. Any explosion of violence or mass prisoner escape could undermine recent steps by the government and UN peacekeepers (MINUSTAH) to combat urban gangs and organised crime. The immediate needs are to ensure that the most dangerous prisoners, including newly arrested kidnap suspects, are held in maximum security cells; there are more guards to protect and ensure minimum care for prisoners; and a fast-track government/donor-financed plan to build more secure prisons begins. As President René Préval’s government nears the end of its first year, failure to respond with greater urgency and resources to the prison crisis not only would complicate police and justice reform but could add to national insecurity.

Haiti’s seventeen prisons hold more than 5,500 inmates but fewer than 10 per cent have been convicted and many are yet to be charged. In the National Prison in Port-au-Prince, which is filled to eight times capacity with 2,500 prisoners, there are only 25 guards, and disease is rampant. In the system countrywide access to food is minimal and to water insufficient, while 90 per cent of inmates have some form of scabies or chronic itching, and the risk of tuberculosis (TB) is far higher than the national norm. Prisoners have to take turns sleeping or sitting, and a walk to sanitation facilities – granted only once daily and for not more than 30 minutes – is often the prisoners’ only opportunity to leave cells. The National Prison is a labyrinth of dormitories and yards, where the response as elsewhere in the system to crumbling walls and inadequate security is to keep prisoners penned in their cells. An obsession with escape feeds on and drives the cycle of misery, humiliation, frustration and violence.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by Brainiac]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
CNN just reported some gunshots in Haiti. I can only imagine the pandemonium that erupts during the night there. I donated a small amount a short time ago.

Is it just me or does January always have some kind of disaster occurring?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by danj3ris
CNN just reported some gunshots in Haiti. I can only imagine the pandemonium that erupts during the night there. I donated a small amount a short time ago.

Is it just me or does January always have some kind of disaster occurring?

Read what I just posted...
This is gonna go south REAL QUICK!

They better send in MultiNational PeaceKeepers A.S.A.P.
Your gonna have pilage, plunder, Rape, and Dieases, Oh my...

This isn't happening in the U.S. This time, but it's Katrina to the 10th Power.
The problem is that there are people still alive...
To prey on each other...

I would send in Armies from most of the Countries... If they can do it for Iraq, Afganistan...
You need Martial law enacted now.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by Brainiac]

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join