It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
ThinkingofRob RT @vhernandezcnn Just in: U.S. military assets on ground in #Haiti stabilizing airport for incoming flights, says Natl. Sec. Council rep. half a minute ago from web

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoFigure52
Could this quake be man made...Is there reason for the US to go into Haiti. Do we need to flank Cuba before something happens.

The HAARP program can easily pulse large blast anywhere in the world.

You should post that on another thread in the Skunkworks where wild speculation is welcome. On a normal year there are close to 20 earthquakes in the 6 to 7 range on average. There will be plenty of wild theories floating around and many threads for them.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
PhoenixRising4O Obama to send Flights to Haiti to rescue American Citizens. Estimated 45,000 Americans & Gov employees in #Haiti #CNN less than a minute ago from TweetDeck

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Agreed.

Right, I'm off to bed now. 10:30pm here. I'll go through the updates in the morning - made significant contacts (especially with Oxfam) ATS will be kept notified.

infinite needs his beauty sleep.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Interesting such tremendous disasters in such a short span of time...

The Haitian prison is breached and 1 million prisoners escaped...

From a law enforcement standpoint what does that say to you?

They got some problems down there...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Im getting kind of impatient ...Where is everyone ? Where is the help?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

I have friends in Ft. Liberty. I hope they are OK. It's sad because Haiti has little economic resources.
Do you think that the quake is related to the sudden activity of Monserat Volcano? Aren't they both part of the Ring of Fire? I crosses over to the Caribbean, right?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Sleep tight and thanks for all the posts. I was able to get up to date quickly.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
The Haitian prison is breached and 1 million prisoners escaped...

1 million prisoners? Their population is only 9,780,064 (2008 statistic). so more than 1/10 of the population is (or was) incarcerated.

I thought the US led the world in that statistic. and the US statistic is 3.2 percent and that includes probation and parolees.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Compulsionist

Unfortunately, the real world doesn't move as fast as the internet

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Compulsionist

Are you kidding? The whole world is on the way. The US already has the airport up and running and rescue teams are arriving. Money and aid is coming in from all over. You should really read at least the last few pages of this thread.

What you can do is get a donation to one of the relief agencies involved.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I have the feeling this tragedy is being used for scams. The hundred thousand dead is so far untrue it is truely 100 thousand dead or missing. And in a country right now with no telephone or cell phone communication the missing and not dead would be very high until the communication is repaired. The prison according to the police chief of Haiti says possibly a thousand crimnals escaped the prison not millions. And he says theres no telling whos missing from the prison right now due to conditions. The text message number given by the State Department was given out in such a way and told by press for the first five to six hours that if you text this number we will give ten dollars to Haiti for the quake not mentioning that it will be billed to your cell phone. So how many people got scamed by using free texting on there cell phone to call the State Department saying they wanted money sent not knowing they were the ones paying. Sounds like they took notes years ago when the phone sex scams went on call this number and then the phone number gets billed ten dollars a minute. And the President of Haiti sitting at the airport with nothing more to say then I don't know while hes probly just waiting for his flight out of the country. Don't forget the tons of food and supplies found in the middle of the desert after Katrina or the thousands of trailers bought and left to rot and never used. Beware of the major scam going on right now on tv!!

[edit on 13-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Yeah, it will likely be weeks before the details are known. I'm sticking with what is being reported on major news sources. Once they can get teams in, we will get all the reliable details I'm sure.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

cmon man have a little hope, wea ll understand that in despairity people look for ways to gain on other peoples losses, but i think this is a genuine time of sorrow, people are trying to help

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

No , I'm not kidding. We have a team on the ground there already...all the way from Iceland. So I would think that help would be there already.

According to CNN and the Icelandic team there is no concerted effort in place yet. To me that's a slow response. That´s all I'm saying.

link   
20,000 US Marines may be diverted from a planned deployment to Afghanistan to assist in the rescue efforts in Haiti. Additional US Navy and US Coast Guard ships are on the way.

EDIT: I think it's embarrassing that tiny Iceland their tiny company sized Crisis Response Unit there quicker then everyone else ... using civilian airliners no less! Where is that Royal Netherlands Navy/Marines/Air Force task force stationed in Aruba? I know they have at least half a dozen helicopters. How about the British Royal Navy's Caribbean squadron? How about those special Mexican Red Cross search and rescue units?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by ChrisF231]

link   
Magnitude 4.9
Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 22:21:14 UTC
* Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 05:21:14 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 18.359°N, 72.510°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region HAITI REGION

This one was only an hour after the last aftershock.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sporkmonster
Magnitude 4.9
Date-Time

* Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 22:21:14 UTC
* Wednesday, January 13, 2010 at 05:21:14 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 18.359°N, 72.510°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region HAITI REGION

This one was only an hour after the last aftershock.

This right here is part of the reason for the "slowness" of developing a full blown relief plan....the ground is still shaky...not to mention the logistics of putting together a coordinated effort....don't want duplicated effort, don't want areas overlooked, don't want confusion as to chain of command...it's a headache in and of itself...BUT, the effort will be in full swing within a couple of days...in the mean time, it will trickle in to those that are alive and in need of aide.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
To those who don't think anybody would run a scam during a tragedy is fooling them selfs Haiti survives day to day with donations and right now they see a donation bonanza as this is going on this is a economic boom for them so just beware if you donate. Its not that I don't feel sorry for them I just remeber Katrina and the rip off it was , even the scams from 911 were Rudy Giuliani is still in charge of where the money should be spent as he takes his share each month for being in charge of it and how long ago was that now.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Haiti lies on the fault seperating the Caribbean plate from the American. Slippages are rare, however when they do occur there "slip" events, similar to whats occuring in CA.
The entire Penninsular of Port Au Prince has likely moved some 15 meters West thanks to this sudden movement, all across the entire region. Unfortunately the fault also lies across the mountains and hillsides the people built their homes on. Similar to what happened in Aquila (Italy.)

I only hope Seismologists and Geologists can get to the region quickly to determin wether this slip event has released the stress built up, most likely by the movement of the Pacific Plate in the past 2 years, or wether its transferred some of the stress Eastwards, where this region of the Caribbean is also "overdue" for a big quake.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join