It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I just heard on the radio that the death toll could be as high as 500,000. Sad, sad, truly sad

That estimate is way too high, thankfully.

Downgrade it by about 50% and you will be a lot closer to the reality, given the very limited information we have at the moment.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I just heard on the radio that the death toll could be as high as 500,000. Sad, sad, truly sad

That estimate is way too high, thankfully.

Downgrade it by about 50% and you will be a lot closer to the reality, given the very limited information we have at the moment.

I thought that # was high too, but they were discussing in terms of lack of clean water, food shortages, pollution/contamination. More of a long-term number. BUT, yes, as a direct result of the quake it is too high...but devastating nonetheless.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I heard 50,000, then i heard 100,000, then i heard more than 100,000 either way its sad

p.s. please dnt say god this is

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Thanks Infinite for keeping us updated!!

Did we already cover this??

Survivors pulled from UN headquarters in Haiti

Peace

edit: double post.

[edit on 13/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Not sure. We had quite a lot from the United Nations - we might have missed it

BBC: In a moving report on its website, Haitian Metropole radio describes the devastation: "The streets of Port-au-Prince are nothing more than a gaping wound, where corpses are tangled with the remains of houses, shops... Schools and hospitals crumble, people are buried under the tons of rubble, or are waiting for a charitable hand that will come to their aid, and while this is happening, the looters are at work in the shops. Some people have lost their children, others their parents. Haiti has new orphans. Today it is very difficult to maintain hope, but as the saying goes, hope makes us live, so let us all join hands and keep hope alive."

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
capitolrock RT @GregMitch: RT @emilytroutman Red Cross, "We lack equipment, we lack bodybags." http://(link tracking not allowed)/8dgyuy #Haiti less than 20 seconds ago from web

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
From what I saw I think it might be that high. There were so many injured just laying out in the streets with serious fractures. No medical care, no pain medicine..they've no govt as I understand it so it well may be that crime might become a problem. It's bad.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
BreakingNews

14 U.N. staff members at Haiti mission in Port-au-Prince among quake fatalities; 56 others injured, organization says - Reuters less than a minute ago from BreakingNews Headquarters

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgrrsh26
pLease, if you have just 5$ to spair text YELE to 501501 for wyclef jean's yele organization to help the victims

It is very important that people confirm the legitimacy of anyone or any organization before giving. Then only give by mailing or hand delivering to an office you know is legitimate. Do not use credit cards and do not give if you have never heard of the organization. Frauds will be working boards by now.

Don't respond to unsolicited emails or to any requests coming to you from an unusual source.

Even though Yel'e is in an article on CNN, when I go to it, it is on a Squarespace "Claim this Domain" page. Be very careful. The International Red Cross is likely the best move. It is better to be safe than sorry.

www.yele.org... Try the link and you will see what I mean.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Guys, I'm trying to help the Haitians and there were three organizations listed in the following thread. If some of you could point me in the right direction as to which of the three is the best, or if you have others in mind I'd really appreciate this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Some updates:

Susana Malcorra, the head of the UN department of field support, confirms that at least 14 UN personnel have been killed - three Jordanian and 11 Brazilian peacekeepers, and one Haitian civilian. Fifty-six are injured, seven of them seriously. She tells reporters in New York that there will likely be far more fatalities.

link   

I thought that # was high too, but they were discussing in terms of lack of clean water, food shortages, pollution/contamination. More of a long-term number. BUT, yes, as a direct result of the quake it is too high...but devastating nonetheless.

Yeah your right.

In the scope of the upcoming months, 500k seems plausible.

This all depends though, on the events taking place now.

With a successful international AID operation we have the very real chance to mitigate the future deaths, and prevent further mass casualties.

And we are seeing some major aid convoys in movement right now, so things are looking better in that respect.

I must say though,I am quite pleased by the reaction of the world community, and this gives me hope for a better tomorrow for us all.

link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I agree with your warnings. But just to correct some info: Yele IS a vetted legitimate organization, begun by Wyclef Jean some years ago to aid Haiti. It is fully legitimate.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Statement by IMF Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn on Haiti
Press Release No. 10/02
January 13, 2010

Mr. Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), issued the following statement today on Haiti:

“I am very saddened by the events unfolding in Haiti following what is yet another major natural disaster. On behalf of everyone at the International Monetary Fund, I offer my deepest condolences and best wishes to the victims of this tragedy. I am confident that the international community will mobilize quickly to offer support to help this nation.

”The IMF stands ready to do its part with appropriate support in our areas of expertise. I have already asked staff to look into all the possibilities. We will coordinate with other international agencies, and mobilize our assistance as quickly as possible.”

For further information on the IMF and Haiti see: country page: www.imf.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

The Red Cross is always a safe bet. They have a text # ( text 90999) to donate 10$ from your cell bill.
Yele.org is another, text YELE to 501501 to donate 5.00$ from your cell bill

Recommended orgs are listed here:
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Update on an update (confusing? typical UN lol)

2120 The BBC's Barbara Plett at the UN in New York says: "The UN is being extremely cautious about casualty figures because information is still sketchy. The head of mission remains unaccounted for and the Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, is sending the deputy chief of UN peacekeeping operations, Edmond Mulet, to oversee rescue and relief efforts. An emergency response team is also expected on the ground shortly and a flash appeal for funds will be launched in the next few days."

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
dfid_uk

Douglas Alexander: Plane left London for #Haiti at 18:40. Vital equipment + UK experts on the way. Video msg ow.ly... 27 minutes ago from HootSuite

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Twitter just reported a small aftershock

---

World Bank To Provide $100 Million In emergency aid To Haiti - AFP

[edit on 13-1-2010 by cjcord]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

4.6 2010/01/13 18:54:17 18.447 -72.607 10.0 HAITI REGION
5.3 2010/01/13 14:43:45 18.453 -72.922 10.0 HAITI REGION
4.7 2010/01/13 12:41:45 18.411 -72.814 10.0 HAITI REGION