It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Yes, is one of the Caribbean navy ships that has been diverted to Haiti today along with others, they aid is not as extensive right now, but because Haiti have not working hospitals they will serve as the emergency evacuation for critical patients.

Things are moving very fast, US is just all over it.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
"Hundreds of thousands of people have died in Haiti's earthquake, the prime minister told CNN today. "

CNN.com

Now I know this is just his personal estimate, but consider the fact that this man is professional and educated very well, and that he is ON THE GROUND there as we speak.

Like I said last nite, my estimate was 125k.

But from this on the ground update from the PM, we are truely looking at something on the scale from 125k to 250k dead and at least half a million injured.

I hope he is simply exaggerating but I am afraid he is relating the truth as he sees it.

May God have mercy on them.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Canape-Vert Area Aerial Pic

---

USAID Administrator Raj Shah: We are looking at critical issues -- water, infrastructure and transportation

---

More pics - a few i have not yet seen: (GRAPHIC)
www.torontosun.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It will US troops in Haiti until the UN takes over to help the government that now doesn't even have a central command place to operate as the presidential palace was destroy, BTW the beautiful building was a historical building and probable the most lavished building in all Haiti.

So sad.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
We could be looking at a potential higher than 250,00. Since these poor people literally have no health infrastructure, they are waiting for the international community.

1556 Shaanxi earthquake killed 830,000 people - worse in history.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by infinite]

link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I knew this was a bad quake, but hundreds of thousands
Those poor Haitians can't ever catch a break. My heart goes out to them.

link   
Sheesh, civil order will not be restored for a long time. I am sure financially Haiti, may not recover. The good news, I suppose in the long term, all the strutures destroyed, perhaps may be rebuild with 21st century technology due to the support of other nations. perhaps.. Just at first glance such horror. Rumored to be hundreds of thousands dead. Very strange earthquake as well.

I hope and pray for them as well, everything destroyed thousands homeless i am sure food is scarce, many barried hurt broken bones, anger, sorrow, what a human disaster...

What a horrible sight if indeed, hundreds of thousands have past, in sub tropical climates disease and hygene will be one of the many problems as well, indeed it will take ALLOT of World support to clean this up and help these people. Also seeing allot of the video footage coming in most people look like they are still in shock.. Be a few days to see the human effect...

Not much of a praying person but I will say a prayer..

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Unfortunate Irony, The palace was Built after the last devastating earthquake there ruined the original.

And thank you for the news!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Red Cross update:

Haiti update: We committed $200,000 last night, and increased that amount this morning to $1 million

---

CNN ireports (GRAPHIC PHOTOS)
www.ireport.com...

[edit on 13-1-2010 by cjcord]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Apparently, the National Palace, all hospitals in Port au Prince, the Parliament, the National Police HQ, the Finance Ministry, and the Foreign Ministry are all destroyed.

A USAF air control squadron is being sent from Puerto Rico to aid planes in landing at the Toussant L'Ouverture International Airport. Additionally, selected units (medical, military police, engineer, etc) units from the Puerto Rico National Guard and the US Virgin Islands National Guard are being put on alert. USCG aircraft and helicopters from CGAS Borinquin in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico are also on standby. The US Navy is sending a hospital ship and at least 1 amphibious assault ship (each Wasp class amphibious assault ship includes an on board hospital with 600 beds as well as up to 20 helicopters that could be use for medical or SAR duties).

I would also imagine their will be a quick response from British, French, and Dutch military assets in the Caribbean.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Excellent news!
To clarify, my Aid deployment post named those countries with territories nearby. They all seemed to insinuate that they WERE sending teams from those areas first, with backup from their home countries.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
fredodupoux - 5:36 p.m.
dead bodies are everywhere i havent seen one ambulance or any proffesionl med care anywhere in port-au-prince

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Thanks for the update, I called my family in PR but they said that they didn't feel the Earthquake, we get earthquakes once in a while but not like the one in Haiti.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
AAAEsean - 5:38 p.m.
French official: Port-au-Prince runway in good enough condition to handle relief flights. http://(link tracking not allowed)/8CfweL

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
More specific info on individual nation's aid effort:

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
another video

Interesting Twitter (unconfirmed)

"Pentagon briefing...considering Guantanamo Bay as a place for refugees"

On scene tweet:

"MINUSTAH trucks are all over the streets jamming the traffic while all of them sit in the not lifting a stone! Help!"

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
More Tweets:

".....went to St Gerard Church..people are trapped in the school..others are dead in the rubble"

" US Air Force to take control of PAP airport"

"So far no Hampton U, CNU or W&M schl-based projects happening in #Haiti; officials say no local college students stranded or injured there."

"http://twitpic.com/xxtrc - Everyone ok at the Hotel Oloffson. Jan. 13 2010"

"I saw a couple of helicopters twice today but there is no sign that the international presence is helping the population (via @RAMhaiti)"

"Dominican government is trying to avoid a massive exodus of Haitians into their territory./y8fbvkw"

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

They will probably use PR also, for evacuation of refugees, after all over 3 million people are affected that means not food or shelter and then comes the injured.

Well it seems that USA FEMA is on standby depending the US military assessments of the emergency.

Alot of military power heading to Haiti.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
News3ThisAM - 5:48 p.m.
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Leading Haitian senator: Deaths may reach 500,000 based on destruction, but no firm... http://(link tracking not allowed)/4wIeEk

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Yes they have too, as all the countries around the world are already sending their share of emergency personnel and aid.

The entire world is just pouring on help effort.

Haiti is a nation where the fortunate get to live on 1 to 2 dollars a day

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join