It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican says 'Avatar' is no masterpiece

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The Vatican might be scared that computerized/virtual or visual "spectacle" will make its pomp and ceremony seem shabby and outdated. Aesthetics have always been important for their rituals, whether you or I happen to think its right or wrong. Most established religions have at least SOME overlap with aesthetics.

One more tolerant way for them to handle the issue would be to focus on the comforting aspect of tradition and reality that their verson of things can bring...the cool, dark feeling of being in a big cathedral, the light streaming through real stained-glass, the moss on old blocks of stone...this cannot be replaced by cinematic spectacle.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired...

What's wrong with "Worshiping" nature? What's the problem there? Is the Vatican getting upset because people may be opening their eyes and that might steal thunder from some religions?

I just see this as uncalled for - Avatar aside. I don't see the harm in looking up to nature - at all.

Looking up to nature is not worshipping nature.

Nothing wrong with respecting (looking up to) nature...
...but 'worship' is quite another thing.

To worship means to 'bow down to' or 'to prostrate oneself', 'do homage'...
...the Greek word means 'to kiss the hand', to kneel before'.

Worship then is to regard or treat someone or something as superior.

I don't think this is a good way to treat nature or a pope.

Most people naked and unarmed would survive for less than a day in 'nature'...
...it showed be feared and respected but never worshipped.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Like most Catholics they miss the point. The earth and all in it is living. Adam communed with nature like the Navi did in the movie.
The Vatican has become too religious to be biblical anymore. But they are religious!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
movies.yahoo.com...

The Vatican newspaper and radio station are criticizing James Cameron's 3-D blockbuster for flirting with the idea that worship of nature can replace religion — a notion the pope has warned against. They call the movie a simplistic and sappy tale, despite its awe-inspiring special effects.

I'm sorry, but this is BS.

It's not that I'm taking sides with the movie. It WAS a great movie, but what they have to say about it is just BS to me.

What's wrong with "Worshiping" nature? What's the problem there? Is the Vatican getting upset because people may be opening their eyes and that might steal thunder from some religions?

No he's annoyed because the Vatican spent huge a amounts of resources trying to kill nature religions.. if they come back all that witch burning would be for nothing.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Okay Vatican thankyou for your input.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Who gives a flying rat's rectum what the hell the Vatican thinks of any movie!!! What, do we need things 'Kid tested, Papal approved' now?!?!? Hey Benedict, instead of worrying about the plot lines of movies, how about you finally get a handle on your altar boy raping priests!!!

OK, I feel better now! [/rant]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Hi Impaired,

I agree with you. I think it is disgusting that the Vatican should lead anyone away from the worship of nature. Nature is more beautiful, awe inspiring and fullfilling than any religion could ever be and I think they know it.

IMHO they are afraid that eventually the people of the planet may revert to the ways of the wise, ancient people.....Worshipping Nature!

People are quickly awakening all over the world, and I reckon they know it.

S&F

G

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Is it me, or has the Vatican been awful loud about stuff as of late? Everything from alien life to movie reviews. I wonder what Pope- a Tine- is up to.... Unless he's slowly trying to steer us back into a second round of the church controlling everything.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

I think he's skeered that the Papal Prophecy of Saint Malachy might be true... If so, then buh-bye Catholic Church... buh-bye Vatican... buh-bye Rome... OK, the last one would suck, because I've been to Rome and that city rocks!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Occy Anonymous

I meant, some people would make it out to be an agenda. I fully agree about respecting nature. I loved the ideology of the film my self.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by Slash]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Maybe, but IMHO they are fighting a lost cause. imagine in 20 yrs time even, the modern generations will just not buy it.

Society is changing fast, people are changing fast. Technology and internet and gadgets is what youngsters rely on these days, not a bible.

religion is going to have to change with the times, a lot if they want to hold on to any number of people.

christianity especially.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I have not seen the movie.

But I have a problem with any corrupt group of people dictating what is and what is not.

When I say "corrupt group", I include the Vatican, all governments, the monarchy, and in fact any other group of people. You cannot have a group of people without corruption.

Because no group has a right to say what is or what is not - in any shape or form.

The individual has the right of choice, opinion, and everything else.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The Na’vi worked along side and under the support of Eywa, the all-encompassing spirit/guiding force/deity of their planet Pandora.

She is manifest in the planet She inhabits.

When the Na’vi ask, She actually responds.

A thought: perhaps the Roman Catholic Church doesn’t like the idea of a film that has as one of its central themes a not only a female deity, one that is not only easily accessible to everyone, but who will really answer prayers – not ambiguously but definitively.

It may be a stretch to theorize, but perhaps in times of increasing apostasy and, conversely, religious confrontation, maybe the Church – which is running an organisation that deals in elitist mysticism supposedly headed by an invisible, detached, seemingly impassive God - don’t like the reaction Avatar is getting.

Why?

How many people walked away from the movie feeling like they didn’t want to leave Pandora?

Could that feeling of detachment - caused by a movie – mirror a deep-seated (and perhaps hard-wired) yearning Humans have for our deities/universe/nature to do something other than let us spiral out of control and step in and help, rather than apparently continue to “speak” through the mouths of increasingly fallible men?

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
(Will someone pls repost this as a new thread? I cannot due to being a new user. Lest an admin slides me the 5th golden ticket

Why Pandora May Be A Real Planet (Avatar)

Now, let me preface this by saying the following...

I heard somewhere that James Cameron had dreamt of Pandora for years, but after searching around some (although not extensively) I could not find an internet quote of this, so if any of you can, please let me know at [email protected] as it would greatly fit into my theory. As many of you know, dreams themselves often occur on an astral plane, a place where many advanced spiritual thinkers of our civilization concur that we actually travel to in dream state.

Now, I have been reading Lisette Larkins book "Talking to Extraterrestrials", I know but stick with me. Any open and receptive consciousness that spends even 10 minutes with this book would feel something resonate in their heart and mind akin to truth. These dialogues most certainly seem beyond the scope of the normal human parlance, and she is a VERY respected author in the UFO community. I have also had certain experiences that would verify her accuracy, but this isn’t about me, I'm no one. So, heres the juice. On page 67 in the chapter entitled Count the Stars, Count the Ships the following text occurs.

"As you see signs of prejudice in your children, talk to them. Remind them that there are others who are different on this planet, that it is important to get beyond that type of thinking so that they might get ready to embrace other children who are off your planet and who may be blue with green stripes and who may have a tail, and who may have mastered telekinesis. Help them explode open their imaginations. Do this with your children and you will prepare them to know us. Surely you can imagine how beneficial this would be." pg. 67

Now, admittedly, this is not the most convincing selection of the text I could post to convince of the ET presence behind her channelings, or communications, I don’t think she likes the channel word. These are a certain colonies of Greys she says she is contacting here. This book was published in 2002. Now, should we accept the veracity of her alleged sources, then we must also accept that it is most likely that these beings would choose an example of other life forms such as the above description from the infinite realities existing and manifest throughout this dynamic and ever-evolving universe, a cosmos of hyper-diversity, coral reefs of constellations. Shouldn’t we? What need would they have for hyperbole or conjecture when there are probably thousands of real examples to choose from? And if you know anything about the Greys, you would know that this is the exact tongue in cheek behavior they demonstrate, all in good humor, most of the time
. So there's my schpeel. I assure you that (and many Barnes and Noble and Borders carry her books) if you spend just 10 minutes with this book, those of you familiar with the litany of obvious UFO evidence out there will become convinced that there is a serious likelihood of this being truly of ET source. Amazon.com Larkins and see the reviews, she is respected. For those of you uninitiated unto the obviousness of the Grey’s presence. Please take a moment and watch this video.
www.youtube.com... UFO Lands on Playground: 62 Witnesses, All Children
my name is Austin Proffitt, I’m 23, my e-mail is [email protected] If you go through the avenues of information I have presented here on your own, and find what I am saying to be immanently plausible, then let us spread this post far and wide. Although, it may be best to keep it from those who CNN reported were experiencing depression and suicidal thoughts at not being able to be Pandorian. Or maybe this is the cure? www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Religion, don't you just love it
anything that disagrees with it, gets called out. What a crazy world we all live in.

For the record I believe nature should/will always come first.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Split404

When you make the grade, you should start your own thread, interesting read, don't forget to include camerons 33rd movement. Maybe Pandora isn't just a story.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
they reject this movie because loving nature seems to pagan for them and pagan is in the eyes of the vatican is devil worshipping sinners !

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
As a Christian i thought this movie kicked serious ASS!

If anything respect for nature and those around you is tantamount to living in peace with creation.

Sucks that the catholic church had to smear the movie.

I wish the movie was longer... i was enthralled throughout the entire thing!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
Religion, don't you just love it
anything that disagrees with it, gets called out. What a crazy world we all live in.

For the record I believe nature should/will always come first.

Interesting. People, don't you just love them
whatever religion disagrees with them, gets called out. What a crazy world we all live in.

For the record I believe you forgot to think before this post.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
the vatican is terrified of allowing other "beliefs" into an already cultural and religious world. I listened to the full report on another site, the vatican radio also mentions it fears the world is becoming a egalitarian culture. (egalitarian meaning it favors social equality)

So what?!?! there are a LOT worse things I could think of than a nation(s) striving for social equality. Jeez! anything that becomes a huge success (aka avatar) the vatican gets terrified it might start something that it cant control. does it not know that if its gonna keep belittling and dissing Avatar its just gonna make it THAT much more successful? The over all theme of Avatar to me is respect the planet. I can't think of any better message to put out there, especially in this modern world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join