It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican says 'Avatar' is no masterpiece

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
It's just:

- And it's not only The Vatican - it's really all religions:

Their's is right and every other one is wrong.

THAT I can't stand. That's really what gets me about all of this and why I get so heated in some forums.

Gahh,

Interesting... do you operate on the mindset that you are wrong and everyone else is right? That would be the opposite of how you say the vatican works. And yet!... it seems so illogical to operate by any other means.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I agree.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't comment on that aspect of this thread. I believe all organized religion breeds "control". From the top to the bottom. From the pope, rhabi, saint whatever to the preacher (or what have you) around the corner.

I've even witnessed it in Pagan communities. The "priests" and "priestesses" get going on a power trip.

That is why I agree that your own personal religion should be just that. Your own.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply to that you were knocking on anything.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well I say to the Vatican, you're no masterpiece.
And to Emperor Palpatine, err the Pope, you're no masterpiece either. (okay guy in my eyes)

Man it's just a movie, a good one at that. But I see how some people think there might be an agenda behind it.

[edit on 1/12/2010 by Slash]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
Interesting... do you operate on the mindset that you are wrong and everyone else is right? That would be the opposite of how you say the vatican works. And yet!... it seems so illogical to operate by any other means.

I'm not going to lie - that kind of went over my head.

All I am saying is that one religion says every other one is wrong. I can't stand that thinking. That's all.

If it's wrong FOR ME to think that, then I don't want to be right!

[edit on 1/12/2010 by impaired]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
BTW, I didn't mean to imply to that you were knocking on anything.

Not at all, never even crossed my mind.

This thread topic is serious business........more serious than people seem to realize in their zombie-like trances.

Peace

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well, one can't get angry at the pope. that just shows as much ignorance on the other side.

He is stating his beliefs to the people who follow his word. anyone else who listens and takes it seriously is probably the same people who read the MSM and get angry.

Its something you have no control over, someone elses oppinon. stop sweating about it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is not a surprise.

Christianity often presents a relatively low appraisal of life and the world. It is taken for gospel that the world cannot be good and cannot endure, but must eventually be destroyed to allow the fulfillment of a 2000 year old promise that things are going to get better.

That's what you get for martyring religious figures though- their thinking and teaching stops and becomes a crystallized dogma to others, rather than continuing a cycle of growth, evolution, and succession to new generations.

If we hadn't murdered Jesus, maybe Ratzinger would have inherited a more balanced and mature ideology from an unbroken line of Christian thought, rather than a quasi-political doctrine born from countless betrayals and lies.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
i dont know whcih is worse Vatican talking outta its behind as usual or people giving it a speck of attention.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by marsvolta
i dont know whcih is worse Vatican talking outta its behind as usual or people giving it a speck of attention.

You got me.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Wow nice find.

What do Free Mason's worship? I would believe it is nature and the sun. For without the sun there would be no life.

And the Vatican is just as corrupt as the U.S. Corporate Government.

S&F

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The Bible clearly says, "Thou shalt have no other God but me!" Pretty simple really.

Nothing about one of the greatest money-making swindles in the world; nothing about supporting paedophiles and child slavery; nothing about the enforced slavery of millions of Mayan and Aztec Indians - not to mention other indiginous tribes the Catholic church 'converted', throughout the world.

Neither does the Bible say that the church should dictate how you live your life, other than you should try to be a good and honest person and not shag your neighbour's wife or oxen.

So worshipping Mother Earth and Mother Nature seems a natural thing to do, unlike worshipping some mystical superbeing who may or may not have existed.

How ridiculous is it that a former Nazi flak gunner can tell billions of people how to live their lives when he cannot or will not run his so called church properly?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fritz

I agree with you until said run his church properly, but you have see that he is running his church properly as he wants it run.

It may not be morally correct, but its the way he wants it.

Everything else i agree with you though.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I am sorry, but I have go onto it from an atheistic scientific side ... the nature, biosphere and ecology on PANDORA are absolutely, totally , out off the window fuc...ing different than what we have on EARTH. Simply said every damn living organism with a more than one cell nerve system is a symbiont. The whole planet is in reality the biggest "artificial" inteligence and most complex computer machine ever existed as an programmer and IT expert would said. The PANDORANS simply have to worhip nature, because it would kick their asses like it kicked the asses of terrans in the finishing of the movie, when every damn bug, cat, animal, flying thing began to kamikadze on terran vehicles and infantry.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

there afraid there control on money could end! no more givng god's broke ass are hard earned money which i never did anyway i think religion is abunch of b/s why cant we just all live together as a soceity of people in peace and harmony with the land like the indians who cares about the vatican and christianity for that matter there only reason its even still around as a religion is because of there force and intimidation through out history and its ability to evolve with science other then that its abunch of b/s

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Slash

but respecting nature is not an agenda. It is a moral.

Second line.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

I'm not going to lie - that kind of went over my head.

All I am saying is that one religion says every other one is wrong. I can't stand that thinking. That's all.

If it's wrong FOR ME to think that, then I don't want to be right!

[edit on 1/12/2010 by impaired]

It wouldn't be a proper way of thinking to have a strict set of principles and yet say, "But we are probably wrong." Sure, we will find out we are wrong if we ARE wrong, but why operate on the premise that we are wrong? We should operate on the premise that we are RIGHT until we are proven wrong. In this way will we learn more easily what is right and what is wrong.

I was not making a point to say that the Vatican is right about anything. I am making the point that if you can't cope with the idea of someone believing they are right, then how do you even make an argument? How can you even say that religion is wrong? How can you say that religion is wrong about believing they are right and everything else is wrong? Don't you think you could be wrong about that?

I'm not sure how to put it into simpler terms. My apologies.

How is it hard to understand this : You should always operate honestly based on your conscience. You should always operate to the best of your ability as if you are right. You should not operate dishonestly. You should not operate against what you know to be right. It makes no sense.

Is it possible to think that you are right by operating against what you think is right? Yes. But that is because your conscience has bested your logic and realized that -something- is not right. If you ever run into this situation, it is because SOMEONE is trying to tell you something...

I can't make it any simpler or more complex, I don't think.

Besides... what is the big deal what the Vatican thinks? Don't we know that the Vatican is a culmination of evil spirits doing good deeds in order to keep order? Don't we know that the purpose of the Vatican is to suck in the good people by means of good works and good words and also to condemn those bad people by means of bad works and bad words in an attempt to retain their own evil sovereignty?

Don't we know that the entire world that worships the Vatican and its Seat is a world that does the exact opposite of what the Vatican finds to be good AT THE MERCY OF THE VATICAN ITSELF?

The purpose of the Vatican is to create laws in order to create sin. The more "sin" of which we become aware, the more we condemn ourselves and thus we are judged. It is not necessarily that playing rock music with a little distortion is a sin (depending on your intent and reason) so much as that anyone who stumbles upon that little rule finds within themselves sin and believes it and YET continues their course! In this way they have judged themselves and will be condemned accord to their own beliefs.

The purpose of the Vatican is to Lead People Away From The Lord. The Lord has NO EQUAL and NO REPRESENTATION on this planet in the form of rule! JESUS DENIED THIS RULE DURING HIS TIME IN THE WILDERNESS AGAINST SATAN!

However, let it be known... that when the Vatican or its representatives speak truth of a certain subject, it is wholly to lead people away from the truth. People do not trust the vatican and therefore LEAD THEMSELVES AWAY FROM WHAT THE VATICAN SAYS. It is a trick.

It is true -- the movie Avatar is designed to generate the responses and mentalities that are following. People are intelligent enough to realize the effects of this movie. Anyone who denies it is a hypocrite by means of our own secular science of psychology. People know and yet people deny their own knowledge. It's pathetic at best.

It is true -- the movie Avatar is not that great. The entire populace must not have much interaction with many RPGs and the sort. R.A. Salvatore certainly has done a much better job in presenting more interesting fantastical worlds. Square Enix (formerly Squaresoft), as well, has created much more enticing worlds.

But it has James Cameron's name on it. Now the world has been exposed to something that a lot of us former-geeks already knew about.

I'm thinking much drama is part of the plan for this movie. So, this ends my ever referring to it significantly again.

God's fantastical reality is much more intriguing anyhow.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
This is not a surprise.

Christianity often presents a relatively low appraisal of life and the world. It is taken for gospel that the world cannot be good and cannot endure, but must eventually be destroyed to allow the fulfillment of a 2000 year old promise that things are going to get better.

That's what you get for martyring religious figures though- their thinking and teaching stops and becomes a crystallized dogma to others, rather than continuing a cycle of growth, evolution, and succession to new generations.

If we hadn't murdered Jesus, maybe Ratzinger would have inherited a more balanced and mature ideology from an unbroken line of Christian thought, rather than a quasi-political doctrine born from countless betrayals and lies.

And you are considered a subject matter expert?

Ratzinger only inherited evil. That much is certain. He has no good ties with Jesus by any means.

Christianity as a religion holds life itself pretty high. I mean, eternal life for us humans is the whole purpose of God revealing Himself to us. He didn't do it for His own health.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
But its still a tree-huggers agenda behind it.

Pun intended or?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
My goodness... another thread about human nature! Isn't there enough going on that is actually important in the world? Of course the Vatican is going to say whatever is in their own best interest... who wouldn't and who doesn't? Does anybody make a thread that says "Microsoft says Apple MAC OS X not as good as Windows" or "Republicans say 'Dems' are no replacement for Elephant!" No, they don't, and you know why? Because everybody, and I mean everybody on this planet, generally looks out for their own interest.

Tell me, those of you who love to bash things like the Catholic Church for things like this, do you ever stand up for you company or family? Do you believe that your company is better than other companies? Do you believe your family is more worthy of your resources than other families? Do you cheer for your favorite sports team? How about your country? Have you ever thought "my country is the best country in the world?"

Well, the Pope represents a certain religion, and if he didn't believe what that religion stands for, he shouldn't be Pope. You guys love to find any excuse to bash the people you don't like. If he did things against Christianity, everyone would be calling him the Anti-Christ, and they would use his anti-christian behavior as a justification. Now, when he actually takes a stand FOR his religion, you blast him for that... unbelievable really.

By the way, I'm not Catholic in the slightest, and have a great deal of negative to say about that particular organization in general... they also do a lot of good all over the world as far as hospitals, etc. I also don't like the current Pope very much on a purely "gut feeling" level. That being said, I don't fault him at all for saying what he said about Avatar, because he is addressing something that makes sense from his point of view as the head of the Catholic church.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join