It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Lawmaker wants to banish negative language

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Washington Lawmaker wants to banish negative language

hosted.ap.org

SEATTLE (AP) -- Decades ago, poor children became known as "disadvantaged" to soften the stigma of poverty. Then they were "at-risk." Now, a Washington lawmaker wants to replace those euphemisms with a new one, "at hope."

Democratic State Sen. Rosa Franklin says negative labels are hurting kids' chances for success and she's not a bit concerned that people will be confused by her proposed rewrite of the 54 places in state law where words like "at risk" and "disadvantaged" are used.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is what the politicians work on here in Washington State. This is a state with a massive budget deficit, failing infrastructure and in most of the State, poor public schools. The legislature is spending time discussing the merits of labling kids "children of hope" rather than "children at risk".

Aside from the waste of time and money, "Hope" is something that you can't control. I buy a lottery ticket and "Hope" I win. You can't hope to be a good student. You can't hope to not take drugs. You can't hope to not get pregnant. What is a "child of hope"?

This is PC nonsense. A feel good measure that IMO can do more harm than good, but it is typical.

I leave in a community where due to budget constraints they just eliminated youth sports. There was an excellent program enabling kids to play football, basketball and baseball. Great support from parents, very willing coaches and a ton of turnout of kids wanting to play. The reason they canceled it was that they did not have the cash to pay for referees. The referee in a 3rd grade game is a high school student who is making minimum wage. In basketball you have a bit of janitorial support, but in football and baseball it is just the ref. All other materials are covered by the players with a fee. There are even schools that will provide the refs for free and have them use the hours they spend work toward their community service requirements, so most of those costs could also be eliminated.

In 5 years they will need to pass a bond measure to hire more police because these kids who now have no youth sports to channel their energy in a positive way will be getting into trouble. Oh well. When a 13 year old is jammed up in the legal system they can lable him a "child of hope". I'm sure that will make all the difference in his life.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised this was introduced by a liberal female politician.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
EVERYONE should watch a 1990 stand up comedian perfromace by George carlin* its on youtube. HE talks about how soft the american language has gotten. very detailed! its not just comedy its how things are going. WE shouldnt reffer to people as people anymore, persons* the man in the moon would become the person in the moon, wede be singing for he's a jolly good person, man hole cover would become person hole cover.
poor people arnt broke* they are inner citys with substandard negative cash flow* and the infamous one i have memorized..shellshock* during WWI, whne a soldier is about to or completely snaps, it swas fefferesd to as shellshock* WWII , it was battle fatigue* Korean war came around, it was called operational exhaustion* Vietnam war and to this day, post-dramatic stree disorder* ALL those words to describe one codition* i'll bet you if we had been calling it shellschok during vitenam war, some of those verterans might have gotten the attention they needed at the time***
its disgusting, flamboyant, and disgraceful how the upper class wants to soften things up. what are we gunna change 'sex' too... 2 impartial persons engaging in reprodcution? cars and atuomobiles could be reffered to as self semi sustainable prtable devices

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is just politics as usual.

Renaming a problem doesn't make the problem go away. It just has a new name.

This is just a classic. Why bother trying to actually accomplish something when you can just give it a new name.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I just read those news. The next most interesting news were that Rod B. said he's blacker than Obama, but could not apologize to Obama because he aint got his phone number. Leading experts on the issue said his words were intentional and have gained him certain amount of power in field of politics. This is just like entertainment industry.

new topics

top topics

join