It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States lower standards for high school diplomas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

States lower standards for high school diplomas

www.msnbc.msn.com

A law adopting statewide high school exams for graduation took effect in Pennsylvania on Saturday, with the goal of ensuring that students leaving high school are prepared for college and the workplace. But critics say the requirement has been so watered down

As deadlines approached for schools to start making passage of the exams a requirement for graduation, and practice tests indicated that large numbers of students would fail, many states softened standards, delayed the requirement or add
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
arkansasnews.com www.detnews.c om
www.nola.com
www.cnsnews.com

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Many states have faced lawsuits over the proposed requirements amid accusations that the tests are unfair to students with disabilities, non-native speakers of English and students attending schools with fewer educational resources.

The disabilities part I can understand, perhaps you ATSers can suggest something for that group.

But the english part I don't get, were there any successful lawsuits?

If you go to an english school how can you get sued for issuing exams in english?
I'm still scratching my head on that one.

But anyhow, I think that all the problems we are facing today, even corruption, has to do with educatinon as it's root problem.

I mean who the hell sits atop of this problem at this time today and what are they doing?

U.S. Secretary of Education Has No Professional Classroom Teaching Experience

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan, who oversees a federal agency that spent $134.8 billion in fiscal 2009, tutored kids as a young student but has never professionally taught inside a classroom.

For fiscal year 2010, which began Oct. 1, 2009, the Education Department was allotted $46.7 billion in discretionary funding by President Obama. That amount is an addition to the $96.8 billion in discretionary funding appropriated under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, better known as the stimulus package.
www.cnsnews.com...

Where is this money, where has it gone, in what areas was it invested in?

If your money.....that much money, went into your kids's education shouldn't you know where it has gone???

Fine... stocks is one thing
But education is another, was it necessary for the funding to be discretionary?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Its a tough call on what kind of law-suits might have been filed.

We already look like the armpit of the world, when it comes to education.

Heck, there are plenty of people that make it through high school and cannot understand five sentances that they just read.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It all boils down to Individuals. Either a student wants to succeed or dosent. The teachers dont really give a damn, for the most part. They are too buisy complaining about the low pay and tons of work. Personaly i believe teachers should be paid as much as doctors. Then maybe we could get something done in this country. But teachers dont go into their line of business to become rich. Most of them have good intensions initally. But that goes out the window after a couple years of "service".

Off Topic: MoodernAcademia... Is DOOM and GLOOM all that you promote? Do you realy see nothing good about this world? Thats all you ever give here on ATS. Your threads are well put together, for the most part, but how about something uplifting for a change?

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I say fail them all, if they can't get through simplified high school then they don't deserve that diploma. Hold them back another year. Then force those that were held back to repeat 12th grade to do a FULL Year of nothing but English, Math, History, Science, ect., no Electives and no half days, then force them to pull out with at least a B- Average., then they've proven to society that they belong in college or out in the work force.

I agree with MessOnTheFED! with paying teachers like doctors.
Then taxes would go up a lot. Not to say it's not going up already by a lot.

As with teaching kids with disabilities there are schools for that.

As with teaching kids that don't speak English, well that's the Elementary school's failure... well most of it, some of it lies with the parents not willing to learn either.

Where is this money, where has it gone, in what areas was it invested in?

Why must you ask, we all know the Bankers took it. Or maybe it was never really given to the Bankers maybe the Bankers took it as a coverup so Obama can actually give it to other countries. /shrugs.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
WE have a number of issues with our educational system.

Not all high school students are going to go to college. Let's take a hard look at that. We need to offer these kids a different curricula that will give them the opportunity to get some job skills before they are dumped on the workforce. Perhaps the number of technical institutes that have popped up recognize this need and are already filling that niche but why does our public school system not help kids with degrees that they can use?

We have a population of students who just don't try no matter how good the teachers and curricula are. So what's to be done? Fail them. Make a diploma worth something once again.

We need to stop pretending that a school can motivate every child to do their best. Much of the motivation comes from their home environment.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
As the saying goes : "You can't strengthen the weak by weakening the strong."

Perfectly descriptive in this case.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The education system in America is broken, and you would have to break contracts with the unions in order to fix it.

I hope the government's stand up to the teachers unions one day and simply refuse to renew the contracts they have so they can actually change some laws for the better.

They dump in more money and more money and more money but the educational standards and results go down.

It's not money, it's the public education system and it needs to end. The sooner the better.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
Off Topic: MoodernAcademia... Is DOOM and GLOOM all that you promote? Do you realy see nothing good about this world? Thats all you ever give here on ATS. Your threads are well put together, for the most part, but how about something uplifting for a change?

Here are only some of many of my positive threads on ATS
The first thread listed for example is a very important positive news but only one member replied. I have positive threads but they don't get much spotlight unfortunately.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do agree with you though, positivity do not represent a majority of my threads but to be honest I don't find alot of positivity either, it's not like i'm not looking.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Guess your right there. People dont ride the roller-coaster for the view.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Its a tough call on what kind of law-suits might have been filed.

We already look like the armpit of the world, when it comes to education.

Heck, there are plenty of people that make it through high school and cannot understand five sentances that they just read.

lol well played!

Here in New Zealand we have a system called NCEA which is meant to stand for 'National Certificate in Educational Achievement'. I have dubbed it ' No Child Enters Academia'.
I work at a Tertiary Institution and have noticed the standards have dropped since I was a student.
In NCEA students are allowed to resit exams/tests and something my partner noticed as she went through her course a couple of years ago was that, even though she worked her arse off and passed with flying colours, it was frustrating that people who failed the first - or second - time were allowed resits and were told where they went wrong and ended up with the same marks as her even though she never failed a test or exam!.

This means that 'success' is manipulated and people get an over-inflated sense of their own abilities and Tertiary Providers then have to clean up the mess because the students are used to being able to resit, get provided with the answers (essentially) and not failing. Some (many) can't write coherent essays or conduct appropriate research and plagiarism becomes rife.

In short, this 'dumbing down' is not acceptable.

It pisses me off.

new topics

top topics

join