It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone from around TN-VA-NC?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Is anyone on here from around Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, or Western (North) Carolina? I'm wondering if any of y'all have any good stories that are legit about this region...

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by petey_pongo23
Is anyone on here from around Northeast Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, or Western (North) Carolina? I'm wondering if any of y'all have any good stories that are legit about this region...

was born and raised in northeast tennessee. What kind of stories are you talking about? Bigfoot perhaps?

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'm from NC, myself... here are two of the more interesting phenomena we've got under our belts:

The Brown Mountain Lights: Unexplained orbs of light that appear, fly around a bit, and vanish; usually occurs at night.

www.brownmountainlights.com...

The Devil's Tramping Grounds: A circular patch of bare ground upon which nothing will grow; objects placed on the ground before dusk are found shunted to its edge during the night.

ri.essortment.com...

Have fun, and bring back pictures

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I'm a Hawkins County, TN resident myself (lifelong). And we have had a report of Bigfoot back in Phipps Bend a few years back. Any kind of reports or stories. Where are you from in Northeast TN?

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by petey_pongo23
Where are you from in Northeast TN?

Bristol/Johnson city. As for bigfoot sightings, ive Camped in damascus several times, never did see anything. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

~Shadow

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I'm in Tennessee as well. Other than some persistent stories of "Skunk Ape" sightings in Campbell County, TN and rumours of a wild big cat in the New Market, TN area, I am not aware of anything interesting.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I go to colllege in Bristol (Virginia side). Do you live towards Elizabethton? I'm sure that there must be something in those back woods toward...Shady Valley is it?

cma

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I am from Charlotte, NC. I live on the border of NC/SC.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I live in Bristol, TN right on the tn/va stateline off reedy creek rd. Havent heard to many things about my immediate area but would love to hear some. I would like to investigate. Anyone?

[Edited on 5-25-2004 by charliecarterhess]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Yeah, I think I know about where you are. Right there off of old 11-W. I'm sure that we could find something to get into around these parts. There are some good ghost stories where I'm at (about 20-30 minutes from you, depending on how far you live off the main road). However, I'm not sure how many good crypto- stories we have...

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I grew up in the SW VA area, though its been many years since I lived there. Many of the farmers in the area were quite sure panthers were about.

My uncle used to tell me of a spot you could go right at sunset and listen to the panthers scream. He said it was panthers, but said they sounded almost like a woman screaming. Which makes me wonder if it really was panthers.

But, as far as panthers go, I remember way back (probably in the 70's as I was just a boy). The local paper ran a picture of a black panther a deputy had hit with his car and killed one night on some back road.

Once I wishing in the Clinch river (again in the 70's) and I heard a huge splash comming from the opposite bank. There were some overhanging trees over the water and whatever it was was swam upriver about 50 feet under the overhanging trees and got out. I didn't get a great look at it, but it looked like a big cat to me. Short ears, very long tail, etc..

Many, many years ago (before I was born) something got what would have been a great uncle of mine. He was on a hillside picking blackberries while some other men worked in the field below.

Suddenly they hear him scream. The men can't see anything because the berry bushes are so thick. They all go charging up the hill and into the thicket.

They found the metal bucket he was putting the berries in laying on the ground with a side caved in. They searched for days - but that bucket was the only trace of him they ever found.

I remember one of the old farmers had a small stuffed unidentified critter he had shot. Ugly looking thing, it looked kinda like a weasel, possum and coon had made babies. As far as I know, he never had any type of scientific analysis done on it to see if it was really an unknown animal or just a weird looking possum. The farmer is long since dead - no idea what ever happened to the stuffed critter... His wife probably tossed it - she hated it.

Other stuff - as mentioned, lots of ghost stories in those areas. Lots of caves. Lots of Native American arrowheads and such scattered about if you keep your eyes open. The same uncle that told me of the panthers knew of a hole you could drop a rock in and never hear it hit bottom.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I know what you mean about those holes, it must be a great one. At my ex-girlfriend's house in Bristol we would throw all of the brush we had cut down including trees) into a hole, and eventually it would be gone. There have been countless balls lost in there. This is just an illustration of what these holes can do. Her family's house is right on top of the caverns, so all of that stuff that they've been throwing in that hole for years has to be going somewhere.

I know there are MANY holes like that throughout the area. That's why things "disappear" from above ground, because the ground just gives way.

As for the panthers...yes, I too have heard of panthers in this area. And I wouldn't be surprised if you did see a Big Cat going into the Clinch Mountains. My Grandparents own a mountain in Scott County, VA (in Gate City) and they have had reports of people seeing Big Cats on their territory. I know they have bobcats, but I am thinking that the Big Cats reports are probably mountain lions...

A5H

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Your grandparents own a mountain?
Like, a full mountain?
How much does one cost??

Ash

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
ok...you got me...

...they own a lot (not as in "a lot", but as in a portion of property) which is on the side of a mountain. I will have details about it later tonight, because when I called her she was heading out to a funeral. However, they do own the property of land that is on their side of the mountain. And there is no other individual that owns any property above their house, or to either side of their house for quite a ways...

...regardless...there is still very sound reasoning to think that there are Big Cats on their side of the mountain. I know that there is a huge pack of coyotes (at least 10), because I have seen them more than once...but the scariest part about these coyotes is that my Grandpa shot a rifle three times straight towards the pack to run them off...however, the glowing eyes of the coyotes never moved. They were not afraid of three rifle shots, so that left us to wonder what they could be capabel of

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I Live in Ga But there are alot of freaky things that happen here not to far from were i live there a gravitational hot spot if you park your car over it and turn off your car it will move by itsself!!! this is weird considering it is a leveled area!

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yup.. agree about the holes. We had those on my grandmother's farm (also in Scott County). There were a couple we'd have to keep filling up / blocking off so the cows wouldn't fall in and break a leg (or fall all the way in). Lots of water under the hills. Creeks that will sink into the ground then spring up again somewhere else. I guess the water must be what moves all the junk people throw in the holes.

Outside of the occasional, rare rumor or story I didn't hear many bigfoot type stories. The only one I have any personal experience with would be my uncle talking about the panthers screaming at sunset. I don't know for sure if panthers do that or not. But I've heard bigfoot noises described as "like a woman's scream" before and that's how he described what he heard.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
i live in middle tennessee, clarksville actually... and ive never heard of anything... anyone know of stories in middle tennessee

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The Linville Gorge (deepest gorge and highest concentration of poisonous snakes in eastern US) near Linville Falls, NC is named such due to a man named William Linville and his son John getting beheaded and their heads thrown off of Table Rock Mtn into the Gorge by the Cherokee in 1766. Supposedly a headless William or John occasionally search the Gorge trying to find their heads. Heard this from a Park Ranger so take it for what it's worth.

Haven't seen these guys there myself and I used to hike and camp there a lot.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Mt Carmel TN here. Wanting to go watch for Brown Mountain lights

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
A few towns over from me in NC I have heard stories that people regularly see colonial, and civil war soldiers moving around in the evening.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join