It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish families exempt from insurance mandate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

www.watertowndailytimes.com...

Hundreds of Amish families in the region are likely to be free from that requirement.

The Amish, as well as some other religious sects, are covered by a "religious conscience" exemption, which allows people with religious objections to insurance to opt out of the mandate. It is in both the House and Senate versions of the bill, making its appearance in the final version routine unless there are last-minute objections.

Good for them, I am glad for them,

Will you become Amish?

update at 3:00.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
They still have to pay taxes. They're just as much slaves to the fed as any of us are.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
They still have to pay taxes. They're just as much slaves to the fed as any of us are.

I see your point, but, I, for one, envy their particular style of freedom.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If they sell stuff they have to but, If I am not mistakning the Amish Own there counties or atleast some of them, Nothing to pay taxes on there, I do belive.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I did too until I realized how little freedom they actually have. Their own religious conviction aside they are forced to pay property taxes which in turn forces them to have some sort of income which opens them up to income taxes.

To earn an income to pay their taxes and remain within their no-tech lifestyle they resort to things like puppy mills and some go so far as to bootleg liquor.

Sure, a few in some really nice tourist areas can get by with textiles, clothing, furniture etc... but all of that 'legitimate' business opens them up to further taxation and regulation while taking great amounts of time away from the real farm work they need to complete for survival.

If the Amish werent so forgiving and passive they would have instigated an insurrection long ago.

I could see perhaps their lifestyle being a protest of sorts but much like any other form of protest it will get them nowhere. As long as we keep paying our taxes the gov will never pay any real mind to our complaints and protests.

The Amish have become a doormat for the United States. The only difference between their doormat status and everyone else's in a TV in the living room.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Property taxes. They have to pay them or their land gets confiscated and they get sent to prison.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
--ask a jahovah witness how many of them went to jail for refusing the draft for vietnam----real fighters in real times-

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Counties collect property taxes, Not the states. Well In Ohio its that way I pay property taxes to the county not the state, its the same where the Amish live and own there lands on the Eastern side of the state.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I suppose if they own the entire town or county they could avoid property taxation but as law:

Is it true that the Amish don't have to pay taxes?

The Supreme Court has ruled that Amish who are self employed do not have to pay Social Security tax, as it is a form of insurance and as such conflicts with their religious beliefs. Amish who are employed by non-Amish employers, however, do pay this tax. Amish pay property taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, etc., as well.

Amish living/farming on land they own in a town they do not own still have to pay property taxes.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

This may be true as there are a lot of Amish Communties but I do know of a few Counties and towns that are owned by the Amish its like a little country of its own.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

...and Quakers are exempt from a draft. I guess that's yet another conspiracy or something, right?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

...and Quakers are exempt from a draft. I guess that's yet another conspiracy or something, right?

Seriously?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I've heard that, too. I was kinda skeptical until I found this:

WASHINGTON, July 30 (UPI) -- A young Washington state man has sued the U.S. government because the draft registration form has no place to show conscientious objector status.

Tobin Jacobrown, 21, of Indianola, a practicing Quaker, is being represented by the American Civil Liberties Union in the lawsuit filed Wednesday in the District of Columbia, The Washington Post reported.

Jacobrown says U.S. law requires the Selective Service System to recognize those who object to war or military service on religious or moral grounds.

The military draft was abolished in 1973, but young men are still required to register in case Congress brings it back.

Jacobrown said he refused to fill out the forms. That means he cannot get a job with the U.S. government or receive federal student aid.

"A big part of my religion is not submitting to any system that you feel is unjust," Jacobrown said. "And I think this is unjust."

Dan Amon, a spokesman for Selective Service, said conscientious objectors can raise their beliefs before a draft board if conscription is revived.

Quaker sues over draft registration

top topics

join