It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darvaza Hole: "The Door to Hell"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Very cool! Who knew there was a second man made natural fire burning somewhere in the world. I am familiar with Centralia as it is only about 45 minutes from me. It has changed so much in the past 20 years it is unrecognizable. I did not know they used it for footage for life after people.

I was up in Centralia in September of last year. The major intersection in the town is non existent. Well, the town is pretty much non existent. If you go by , you will very vaguely see turn offs for roads, maybe the trace of a sidewalk. This was once a busy suburban town with over 2,000 residents. This town was large enough to have 2 catholic schools, seven churches, five hotels, twenty seven saloons, two theatres, a bank, a post office and fourteen general and grocery stores. There is nothing there now but piles of stone, a cracked sidewalk and some smoke coming out of the ground.

Planning my spring trip up there on my way to Knoebels. (you locals know that place, a wonderous roadside attraction!!)

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GTORick
Too bad they couldn't harness the lost heat energy and produce electricity with some turbines. If the heat is that intense then it would seem academic to set up steam run turbines to produce electricity. That way they could turn a tragedy into an advantage.

Don't give them any ideas, or they'll be blowing holes all over the planet!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I wonder how much this adds to our global warming and what the IR above this area looks like? Nice post. Cheers

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but do you see the 2 countries to the north and 2 to the south? The northern ones were once controlled by the Soviet Union...and Iraq and Iran are to the south. I really don't pay attention to religon, but what if it IS the door to hell? All I'm saying is what if TPTB are trying to control it? Just a thought. Does anyone know and bible verses about a door to hell?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by USamf
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but do you see the 2 countries to the north and 2 to the south? The northern ones were once controlled by the Soviet Union...and Iraq and Iran are to the south. I really don't pay attention to religon, but what if it IS the door to hell? All I'm saying is what if TPTB are trying to control it? Just a thought. Does anyone know and bible verses about a door to hell?

The door to hell is in Mexico!

Seriously though, there is a cave in Mexico and writings all along the walls in several ancient languages describe it as the doorway to hell/Hades, etc. There is even a "River Styx" many many miles into the cave, and researchers have never found the end to it!

Even though this burning hole isn't a serious environmental threat, it stands as a reminder to the unknown consequences that can result for careless manipulation and actions taken by humans.

Isn't the Earth in a Fossil Fuel Crunch? How much is being wasted there? What about a continuously burning furnace of this size burning for 40 years...global warming? What about the "draw" of this heat plume? Is it attracting natural gas reserves from all over the world through underground fissures? Will it eventually burn up every last bit of Natural Gas? What about other wells in the area? Are they still functional? More so, or less so? I have heard of companies intentionally setting underground fires of coal to create natural gas and other more expensive by-products and harvest those instead of the coal?

HOWEVER YOU LOOK AT IT...GREAT OP! THANKS!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
There are many doors to hell. I am one of them.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

I live in the same state as Centralia and have been there not too long ago...very interesting stuff there.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
OMG why did thay not just nuke it
, i mean its the only logical thing to do when Burning it fails. geez short sighted or what

or maby its the back door to hell mexico being the front n all

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I still don't understand why they don't cap it. They could take a huge concrete dome, lift it into place with 4 cranes, the oxygen would be used up causing the fire to go out.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by arcana_imperii

I know it would probably be kinda bleak there and all, like a poster earlier said, but i would love to visit a place like that. Just to see what all happens in that kind of cituation That kind of stuff really interests me.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by arcana_imperii

I know it would probably be kinda bleak there and all, like a poster earlier said, but i would love to visit a place like that. Just to see what all happens in that kind of cituation That kind of stuff really interests me.

MessOnTheFED!

I have been there and there (Centralia) is not much to see actually.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It probably wouldnt be that easy. Blowing it up would probably be a good option. Not a damn nuke tho. Thats a bit much. LOL.

I like the idea of putting the turbine over the top of it. All that energy just going to waist is a real bummer.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
now THAT is carbon footprint.

I have seen the videos about it once.

Makes you wonder how much money Turkey lost on gas.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I recently read somewhere that the gas was set on fire to prevent the toxic gases from poisoning the towns folk....

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Maybe this proves abiotic gas.

Seems like something is providing and endless supply of gas.
Maybe it's venting like a balloon with a slow leak. That would make the rest of Earth's crust too big for the interior. Maybe that's what caused the quake in Haiti. Interesting!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

God opened the Earth and swallowed Korah in the Sinai. It says he fell alive into hell. Then in Isaiah's time, hell enlarged itself.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
If you can only stand there for afew minutes imagine hell. That must really suck, Hell.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GTORick
Too bad they couldn't harness the lost heat energy and produce electricity with some turbines. If the heat is that intense then it would seem academic to set up steam run turbines to produce electricity. That way they could turn a tragedy into an advantage.

Yess!! your totally right - why dont scientist use that "free" energy , build a huge huge giant powerstation near it, use all this heat to generate steam to power huge turbines. Looking at the size of the hole this is a power generating DREAM. Normally they have to drill miles deep to "hot rocks" for geo termal electricity generation. With the size of this hole they could lower masses of the radiator pipes they use to circulate the water where it would almost instantly be converted in to steam.

great thread btw - thanks for sharing

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here is a better use for the hole

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/702671d2f9e4.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by Monts

Heres another screw up due to human error. People do things that they have no idea about the outcome. We are doing this everyday.

I believe that one of the reasons it was set on fire was the need to prevent detonation of a huge cloud of methane/air mixture that was accumulating over the well. This could have been nothing short of nuclear explosion. So yeah, it's ugly, but there were valid reasons to set it on fire.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join