It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police taser 83-year-old woman in altercation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Police taser 83-year-old woman in altercation

www.pioneerlocal.com

Niles police officers stunned an 83-year-old woman with a Taser last month after she threatened them with a knife, police say.

Police say that two officers went to Ziecina's residence Dec. 8 because she was complaining about noise coming from the apartment next door.

Officers who went to the scene say that they saw Ziecina holding a 7-inch kitchen knife when they arrived.

She refused to drop the knife after officers drew their weapons and commanded her to do so, police say.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Ziecina is due in court Feb. 23 to answer to the misdemeanor charge of aggravated assault against a peace officer.

I think that by definition that was not a peace officer.
I understand the charge though, I do.

But are we not supposed to be able to look at law enforcers as heroes?
Who can possibly look at tazing an 83year old as heroic?
That is not heroism that is cowardice to say the least.

Why use a tazer when something as simple as patience is all that is needed to subdue an 83 year old woman?

Didn't the UN consider Tazers as an instrument of torture, so they basically tortured an 83 year old woman!

I can't believe the world we live in, now I got the Avatar blues

www.pioneerlocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
suppose you could argue the police are being champions of equality in their use of tazers and making sure it is not ageist or sexist.

Granny needs to watch her trash talkin and blade carrying

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

1.) Who cares what the U.N thinks, not a damn one of those U.N "Leaders" is elected.

2.) Those cops should be ashamed of themselves really you cant disarm a 83 year old women? Why not just tell her to turn the damn T.V down, how would they feel if there Grandmother was treated that way... Fooking Idiots.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Your telling me a trained police officer can't even subdue a 83 year old women? That's just sad. Don't taze me bro.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Dude whenever I watch American cop shows the women and elderly are nearly always the worst ones... they hurl abuse, they don't care about being blatantly racist because they're just a product of another generation, being frankly honest a lot of them can neither string a coherent sentence or probably tell you which decade we're in.
I would have probly tazered her too lol.

There was one guy who was well in his 70's where cops didn't go in with tazers and decided take him down and it took 4 of em cos he was off his lid on PCP.

On the flip side, I'm suprised it didn't kill her and I suppose its wholly dependant on the circumstances, did she look like was smoking crack etc. Cos in the that case she's definitely getting a jolt.

Your threads nearly always lighten my mood Academia...

But I got the Avvy Blues too lol

[edit on 12-1-2010 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Why use a tazer when something as simple as patience is all that is needed to subdue an 83 year old woman?

Didn't the UN consider Tazers as an instrument of torture, so they basically tortured an 83 year old woman!

Well, knives wielded by old ladies can puncture a lung just as easily as one wielded by me; well, maybe not, but if a cop tells you to put the knife down, at that point, compliance is as simple as relaxing the muscles in your hand. Granted, it would have probably been easier to just take it from her. Or wait until she fell asleep. But hey, if someone ever comes at you with a knife, remember kid, you should just talk them down.

Second, who gives a frack about what the UN classifies something as? It's a doddering, PC-obsessed grab-bag of ineffectual politicians mosttimes so far removed from the issues they try to make decisions about that they have no idea what the hell's going on. There's a reason UN peacekeepers are the biggest joke in the world.

Could they have found a better solution? Absolutely. Were they completely wrong for what they did? I don't believe so, there was a threat to their lives and they neutralized it with no casualties on either side.

[edit on 2010/1/12 by Griever0311]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Tazering an 83-year-old woman in her altercation???

Thats Obscene!
I
I wouldn't want to get tazered in my altercation!
That would freaking HURT!

Personal Disclosure: I
for the lady and
to the LEO's, who shouldn't feel any lions pride at all!

P.S. [note: ALL Puns also intended!
]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
When cops got Tazers they got a brand new tool.

To borrow an old expression and change it around a little - I think what I'm about to say may be one reason we see Tazers being used so much now.

All the cops got a shiny, new, "Do what I say right now!" hammer. Suddenly every person they come in contact with looks remarkably like a nail to the officers.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Griever0311

Lets just get this clear. If you cannot disarm an 83 year old knife weilding granny without a tazer, then you do not deserve to wear any uniform. You deserve locking in a room with a mountain lion till you either grow balls or die trying. Damn some people are weak. What if she had fallen on the knife ? What if she had died of electricaly induced heart attack or had a stroke bought on by the shock ?
Used to be a day when a cop would risk thier life to save a person from killing themselves. Nowadays they dont even care when they endanger the public? What is wrong with the human race man.... disgusting.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Well, part of the problem is that though in theory the police could have spent a lot of time "talking her out of the knife," that may or may not have been possible and she may have made aggressive moves. In any event, maybe they decided the Taser was safer for everyone involved. Or, maybe it was a busy day and taking 40 minutes with her might have meant they were unavailable to go on another urgent call. So, I am not quick to judge. And those who think that anyone can be easily disarmed of a knife, even by a trained person, have been watching too much television.

top topics

join