It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar cells made through oil-and-water 'self-assembly'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Solar cells made through oil-and-water 'self-assembly'

news.bbc.co.uk

The idea joins a raft of approaches toward self-assembly, but lends itself particularly well to small components.

The work is reported in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Crucially, it could allow the large-scale assembly of high-quality electronic components on materials of just about any type, in contrast to "inkjet printed" electronics or some previous self-assembly techniques.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
We all use computers so this may effect all of us. I think it is important to note that this could be a very inexpensive way to produce components on the industrial scale. I also can't help but wonder where the self assembling feacher will lead to. Robots making robots perhaps? Please post what ever it is you think.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see how far we can take this process. I've always imagined that hard drives and likewise would be replaced by some form of "smart gel" that stores memory and processes as well.
Of course the topic at hand is mainly a manufacturing medium but imagine the possibilities as this point. There's more than enough to provide for a few years of patents and industry.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Excellent find. S & F

It is just this kind of article that gives me hope for the human race when most other news makes it sound like we're all headed back to the dark ages again.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Centurion, Thanks a bunch.
And thanks to both who have posted. Yes this is a manufacturing process, but like was said, it is nice to see something that might help keep us out of the stone age. I just hope the tech will not be inhibited in any way.

new topics

top topics

join