It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little Bit Of Suicide

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

Yup,if you think "conversation" can be called "bad ass game".

Whatever.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

wanted to say.... I can't offer anything apart from an unfortunate experience of the subject... If you feel the need to chat then I am available via U2U as now work from home..

I bow out gracefully.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If governments ever allow suicide, it will certainly qualify the people who might be assisted in official way.

You see, people are batteries for governments. They don't allow them to kill themselves at will. Only those, that are unable to work (to produce) for government - this means those which are beyond repair at reasonable costs - would be allowed to "end" themselves.

This is why they say that your eternal soul will burn in hell should you commit suicide

Fear keeps people in bay

-v

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Nobody is forcing a person to live. Yes attempting suicide is illegal. If you do the job right though, nobody can prosecute you.

If somebody wants to die they can down a dozen Tylenol PM, chase it with a large shot of Jack Daniels, walk in to the garage and crank the car. Nobody can stop you and it is almost certainly painless.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Oceanborn

thanks for the kind words. I know there are situations with medical issues and such, but for all the people who should have lived but had their lives cut short, it seems such a waste for someone to not live life 100% when they have the chance. I mainly am referring to the teenagers and young adults who have these feelings from time to time. It always gets better. Always.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

sometimes one's avitar is better heeded than looked at.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by network dude]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I posted before reading the whole thread. My point was that crying about somebody preventing others from comitting suicide is idiotic. Making it seem romantic or glamorous is just as equally idiotic.

I was not trying to tell the poster to comitt suicide. I was pointing out the absolute fallacy of their initial conversational thrust. Nobody prevents suicide. The law can not stop some one from taking their own life in their own home.

I also don't think that the gov't should be providing suicide safe houses. To me it is a personal choice for a person, or a person and their family. It should not be made my responsibility to fund some one's self murder.

I know the pain caused by the suicide of a loved one. One of my best friend's found his step dad's body and a cousin found his father's nearly headless body. I haven't seen it in my immediate circle, but I have seen the effects on people around me. I do not advocate suicide in any case outside of terminal illness where the person loses the ability to live in a dignified way. Even then it should be their choice and not a doctor's.

I was just trying to say all of that in a very short way.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
If governments ever allow suicide, it will certainly qualify the people who might be assisted in official way.

-v

Well, they will have to, actually, simply because of the way our laws are currently written. Contract law says you have to have a sound mind to enter into a binding agreement, and we currently classify the desire to kill oneself a mental illness.

If it is ever allowable, legally, it will likely only be allowable for those who are in physical pain that cannot be controlled with drugs. Already, many doctors leave in their terminal patients hands drugs in sufficient quantity for the person suffering to be medicated to the point of death. It just isnt formally legal, and it is unspoken. It is sort of left to the patient and their family to deal with personally.

Perhaps as neuroscience progresses, and traction is gained for the understanding that emotional pain is no less painful than physical pain, things will change. I think at the very least once this is understood by the majority in the medical world, people suffering from emotional pain will be treated with greater dignity, and not blamed for their illness. I also think that neuroscience offers the hope of truly effective treatments as we understand more and more how the brain works.

One of the biggest problems, as I see it, with allowing people who are suffering mental anguish to kill themselves is that doing so would allow society to continue to sort of ignore the problem. We have a very high percentage of Americans that use some sort of mood altering substance just to make them feel good enough to make it through their day. From caffeine to heroine, will all the prosac and whatever else in between. Thats a problem. We need to figure out if this society we are building, and refining is really working for us on a human level. At the level of personal satisfaction. If it isnt, the answer isnt killing the people it makes most miserable. The answer is to fix the mess we are living in so that people dont hate their lives so much they want to die.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It's certainly a tough one.
And i don't think that "Allowing" someone to do it will necessarily be the way to go... it's not like assisted suicide or euthanasia... whereby someone maybe physically paralysed or dying from a terminal illness and wants to die.... if someone is so messed up in their mind or they're at the point that they cannot take any more, they will take their life irrespective of the law.

I think actually get to that stage, you have to have been through some crap.

Take the case that has been all over the news in the UK at the moment.

UK suicide story

It is an absolutely harrowing story and if wasn't for the neglect of the authorities, then this woman and her daughter would be alive today.
She honestly felt that she had no other choice and it truly saddens me.

That story is poles apart from say the troubled teen or depressed person.. in these cases all it would take is for the sufferer to open up, but they are actually so used to just bottling up the problem and just "taking it all" that they don't feel that anyone will listen or will understand.
Even though the family and friends have done all they can, and whether they even know or not, this person just gets to the point where they've had enough.

And when it's someone young, who doesn't understand that school will be over soon and they can move on and make new friends and things will turn around, it's just heartbreaking.

I don't think that really that there is a case for someone wanting to kill themselves, other than medical reasons.
There is always a solution to whatever the problem may be... it's just getting to the person in time and knowing who they are and that they need help, even though there may be no signs.

Someone said earlier that perhaps if someone was just tired of living, perfectly healthy, not depressed but just doesn't want to live.... i think that's just crazy... and very sad.

Do you know how many people would give anything for a chance at a life where they were perfectly healthy and had no problems.
How many around the world would kill for a shot at living in a decent society and had the chance to live well, eat properly and raise their kids and stuff?

Mental illness is such a delicate subject and has such stigma attached to it that people are afraid to ask for help or don't feel that people relate to their problems.
We need to change attitudes towards it and make sure we can help those who don't want to ask for help.

I've basically just rambled so sorry i make no sense.

Anyway, That's my 2p's worth.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I actually believe that the people that say suicide victims are selfish are the only selfish people, to be honest. It's probably already been said, but yeah, it has to be said again.

How one can possibly think "This dude killed himself!" and only think of their feelings is stupid. People kill themselves for a reason, and a lot of the time it could have been avoided if someone was willing to open their ears and listen to the thoughts of the person that's a victim.

Often, I've thought about pretty much just ending it. I mean, I've never gotten to the stage where I'm looking down at a whiskey bottle and OD'ing on pills, but I do feel agonised by my existence. Really, I would like to devote my life being helpful to others in this world, but I feel like some sort of conduit of negativity. I usually feel content in minding my own business but negativity ends up finding me one way or another. For the last few years I've never wronged one person, yet for some reason my inaction has resulted in me somehow wronging the world. This is what I don't understand. If I even try to open up to someone about my feelings just a little bit, it ends in the other party somehow in tears or highly frustrated with me. I really don't understand.

This is why I don't like my existence one bit, and hell, I wish I could give up my life for someone with cancer or something; someone that has so many aspirations and things that they want to get done in life, yet can't because of a life shortening affliction. I, on the other hand, don't really contribute to humanity and would pretty much be better off just being dead.

Still. One thing that keeps me holding on is the fact that I do feel a sense of purpose, somehow. Like, perhaps I actually will one day help humanity. I would love for that happen, but it feels like I'm waiting for that moment. Seems I've been waiting my entire life for that moment. One day last year I woke up just thinking "Whatever is out there, take me. Please. I really can't take this existence anymore. The end of me will somehow bring peace for one and all...Just hurry the hell up and take me out of here already".

So, not long after when I finally managed to get sleep, I got sleep paralysis and heard a female voice say "You must survive". I'll never forget those words, and I guess maybe there's something looking out for me after all. Perhaps I just have a deluded mind. I don't even know. One thing's for certain and that is that I must survive.

...Yeah, I think I'm gonna regret posting what I just posted. Oh well, whatever. I still think suicide should be allowed. Well, depends. There are those that want to die for narcissistic reasons and ones that want to die because of the endless torture and torment that happens upon them once they mingle with others. Seriously, sometimes it's not easy seeing many things that happen in the world in a different light to others, and others will be quick to judge you and rip you apart for believing something different. Too many closed minds in this world. Too many willing to never open them.

What good are eyes when no one is willing to see?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
I, on the other hand, don't really contribute to humanity and would pretty much be better off just being dead.

But you could contribute and help humanity.
Just start small.... go and volunteer at a homeless shelter...or go and speak to some old people in an old folks home or whatever.

There is always something positive you can do.

Nobody would be better off dead... there is so much beauty in the world.
It's hard to see when all we hear constantly is negative crap... and when many people are negative... but not all people are like that and not all of your experiences will be like that.

It's all about the outlook and perception of the individual and both can be changed.

If you wanna chat any time, shoot me a U2U.

[edit on 12/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It's so funny how people can think that morality is so set in stone and give these stock answers. It's like watching all the spiritual Gurus in the movie about oneness give a stock answer to oneness. They talk about how certain they are that "all is one." God forbid one of them say it isn't, even 1 out of 100.

If someone wants to take their own life, you want to say they are wrong because they didn't work hard enough or "work" through it.

In society it always seems to come down to if someone is working hard or not. Everyone gets so jealous when somebody else isn't all stressed out or exhausted from work.

Same thing...

It's not a selfish act. It only often has to be done selfishly, because it is approached overall by everyone so immaturely. And then people again get the means confused with the ends, the what confused with the how.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Let me put it in terms you might understand.

Life has no meaning. this is not good nor bad. its up to you to decide. when a person wants to commit suicide, they are merely looking at the glass half empty. trust me, i hung myself before. thankfully i failed, but i learned an up most valuable lesson. look at the glass as half full. plus, it gives you more.

EDIT: Society is made up of a whole bunch of yous. decide what you want to do, not what you should do to please society.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by gandhi]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
It's so funny how people can think that morality is so set in stone and give these stock answers. It's like watching all the spiritual Gurus in the movie about oneness give a stock answer to oneness. They talk about how certain they are that "all is one." God forbid one of them say it isn't, even 1 out of 100.

If someone wants to take their own life, you want to say they are wrong because they didn't work hard enough or "work" through it.

In society it always seems to come down to if someone is working hard or not. Everyone gets so jealous when somebody else isn't all stressed out or exhausted from work.

Same thing...

It's not a selfish act. It only often has to be done selfishly, because it is approached overall by everyone so immaturely. And then people again get the means confused with the ends, the what confused with the how.

Sir or madam
I hate to be a party-pooper here but your post is written in total ignorance. There honestly are no really valid reasons to terminate one's life. Most of these folks are suffering from mental illness in the form of profound depression. Many of them see themselves as trapped in an endless cycle of hopeless despair and misery. They couldn't be more wrong. There are many therapies available to them that could help them to allieviate their feelings of hopelessness and empower them to take control of their lives and their destinies once more. It's not the amount of work that's important but the amount of SMART work that's important. It's the amount of concentrated effort towards a goal that makes your life better that is the key. My wife worked in a mental health facility for many years, and she has many stories of suicidal folks who were brought back from the abyss with the right combo of therapy and drugs. The key is often in understanding their own self-image. so many people these days imagine that they are just leaves to buffeted about by the winds of fate. They don't understand that they have the power to effectively change their lives if they choose to do so.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
If governments ever allow suicide,

What an interesting statement.

I don't believe any government should have sovereignty over anyone's body.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Purpose is something we tell ourselves we have in order to sleep better at night.

What if there is no purpose to be seen?
What if nothing really pleases you?

It's not about being a coward. It's not about escapism. The only question that matters in life is whether or not to commit suicide.

If one commits suicide they're labeled as "selfish". What about people that are left behind? They're hurting because they miss their loved ones. They would rather see them alive and miserable than dead but (probably) happy. Is that not selfish?

Who's to say that they've not moved to a better place? Who's to say that they should have lived their lives according to everyone else's standards?

Should we all live our lives according to a belief system that doesn't make any sense to us?

Is there anyone that can say, with confidence, that they know what was going on in person's mind right before they committed suicide?

Is there anyone that can be sure that what's written in a suicide note is the whole truth?

We all thought of what it would be like to jump off a building, wind tearing at your face, memories and people's faces clawing, screaming at you while you get closer and closer to the ground zero... the starting point, where it all began and where it all will end. Those who didn't - will.

We say we respect people's opinions. We say we respect the choices they make.

It's all a matter of choice.

I choose to respect it.

In my humble opinion,
XIIIth

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I see OP used the cover of Suicides debut album. niiice. old school NY punk/noise.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No matter how bad it is today, in a few days, that feeling of pain goes away. Plus it's a cowards way out. Dealing with life's adversities shows character, and should be something to be proud of.

A persons death affects a lot of people. Never in a good way. It's selfish.

Perfectly the thing I'd love to hear from someone who disagrees. Some people are so miserable that life for them is unlikely to get better. So, you say it's selfish for them to end suffering because it causes suffering for others. What about it being selfish to keep that person alive for the selfish desires for others? That's even more selfish on behalf of even more people. So, which shows a display of more selfishness? Option B.

Being born into a life and forced to live it suffering is like being barely alive but not given painkillers for some people. And, yet it's more humane to put out suffering animals than it is humans who suffer in ways that can't always easily be seen.

The same sadistic murderers who seem to enjoy manipulating others and ravaging countries with bombs and guns are the same ones who made the laws to keep sufferers unable to end their lives more humanely. And, it's got a lot to do with religion, which I consider a huge threat to the happiness of very many people at the hands of a few who can't even all follow their own 'policies.'

I find the fact that you consider all suffering temporary and fixable to be overly optimistic and naive.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I wish my lawn was suicidal so it would cut itself.

Is it just me or are members becoming more suicidal?
What's going on here!?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Sir or madam
I hate to be a party-pooper here but your post is written in total ignorance.
They don't understand that they have the power to effectively change their lives if they choose to do so.

My post was written in a total hurry, maybe rough around the edges I'll attempt to discuss this.

How quickly people's lives change when they overcome this fear or that. Often a self-made fear that was never more than a phantom, help or none they face it, then they win and take control of their life. Just one problem they obsessed over, and wham they are a new person. If we look at that objectively doesn't it seem odd? Once they reach a certain level of acceptable dissonance, they never question the box they were put in again.

I wonder how many posters on this forum have survived a suicidal thought without therapy and medicine? It's not always an endless pit of despair, for someone to be saved from by intervention, medicine and therapy. In other words it's not always made to be a huge deal of - especially when you are dealing with people who don't have an insane or extreme fear of Death, Hell, or Taboo.

So if I calmly ask myself right now, "Do I want to kill myself?" And the calm reply is, "No thanks." Suddenly that wasn't so hard. But if you go around approaching the problem as if a pit of despair accompanies every thought of suicide then you will get what you get.

You simply cannot apply the 1 in a thousand obsessively mentally ill to an open discussion on suicide (edit: with people who are sane and discussing philosophy). And yes the word obsessed is an important distinction to make there.

And how easy it is to make a demon of it when they are obsessed with suicide instead of something else - like blaiming others. Because I imagine that the person walking down the street obsessed with blaming others is in just as much pain as the person who obsesses over suicide.

(Edit: I agree that obsession combined with true mental disorder is a nasty painful combination - but if the person has only one or the other, things are such a smaller deal. It seems too often the treatment does not make this distinction. But I freely admit that yes, there are extreme cases that are very serious - at that point it's not very philosophical though)

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Novise]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join