It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico opens 2010 with one of its deadliest days

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Mexico opens 2010 with one of its deadliest days

news.yahoo.com

MEXICO CITY – Mexico opened the new year with what could be its most dubious distinction yet in the 3-year-old battle against drug trafficking — 69 murders in one day.

More than 6,500 drug-related killings made 2009 the bloodiest year since President Felipe Calderon declared war on the cartels in late 2006 and deployed 45,000 soldiers to fight organized crime, according to death tallies by San Diego's Trans-Border Institute.

Two weeks into 2010, gang bloodshed is becoming more grotesque as drug lords ramp up their attempts at intimidation. Last week a victim's face was peeled from
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Well, I can say I never knew theres that many people dieing in our southern neighboor. 6,500 people killed in 2009? Thats close to the amount the US has lost in the middle east since 2001. It is mostly about drugs/gangs. Imagine if this spills over the border. I live in Texas and all I can say is, we are going to be ready when IF it happens. IF the economy and everything keeps going downhill, I can easily see this coming across.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-1-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Wow. that's horrible. Really really horrible. I heard it was 'bad' over there but MSM her in Australia never reports these sort of things. 69 in one day. that's just staggering. Thanks for bringing it to peoples attention! (well my attention at least!)

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I live in Texas, and I cannot say I have heard of anything this bad in any major news network recently other than the one I just found. Im sure Yahoo is just going to throw this article out the door after a few hours and we wont hear anything about this for another week or so. I want to know how many gangs and stuff here in the southern states are directly related to the mexican cartels. I want to know where the news is.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Living about 2 hours from the border, it really does scare me that this could possibly spill over.

When i hear people say "It's bad right now," it never really registered in my head that it is this bad.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I have a university friend who immegrated from mexico for school, and he says that he hears horror stories on a daily basis from his family and friends still living down on the outskirts of Mexico City.

It's amazing to me that this is happening, but this is only to be expected when half of the people in charge of controlling this are themselves corrupt.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
In a new incident of grisly drug war violence, a man's face was skinned and stitched onto a soccer ball as a threat to members of Mexico's Juarez drug cartel.

The unknown assailants cut up the body of Hugo Hernandez into seven pieces and left him on a street in the northern city of Los Mochis, a spokesman for Sinaloa prosecutors, Martin Robles, told the Associated Press.

Hernandez's torso was found in a plastic container in a separate location from another box that contained his arms, legs and skull. The macabre soccer ball was discovered a plastic bag near Los Mochis' City Hall in Sinaloa.

The gruesome discovery included a note, which read, "Happy New Year, because this will be your last."

Hernandez, 26, was kidnapped from Sonora on Jan. 2 and taken to the neigboring state of Sinaloa. The motive for his abduction remains unclear but Sonora is known for its marijuana farms, Robles said.

Sinaloa state is the hometown of the bosses from four of the six major drug cartels in Mexico.

While tortures and beheadings have become a familiar sight since President Felipe Calderon started his crackdown on drugs three years ago, Hernandez's murder was particularly grisly.

More than 15,000 people have been killed in the drug war, many of them in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana. At least 17 journalists have been killed since 1992 after reporting on the local drug community, which has spurred some of the country's newspapers to stop covering violence to avoid more deaths.

Members of the cartels often torture and mutilate their victims in order to intimidate the people who threaten them.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com... 0cNrloZNc

Read more: www.nydailynews.com... 0cNrloZNc

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I like how one of the persons that was interviewed blamed all of their problems on the U.S.

"You wonder how this will end, and it seems impossible," said Daniel Vega, an architect in the northern city of Monterrey. "I doubt Mexico can override drug use, especially since demand for the drugs, as well as all the money and weapons, come from the United States."

The big bad United States is demanding all of the drugs and we're happily handing over Billions of dollars and supplying the drug cartels with an unlimited supply of weapons in order to ensure that our drug habit can be met.

:deleted some of my post on accident:

These people would rather make excuses as to why things are so bad in their country instead of demanding their government do something about it.

The local news media has decided not to report on the violence of the drug cartels anymore because they're afriad of the consequences.

Yeah, that's exactly how this problem is going to get solved. Act like it doesn't exist and maybe they'll go away.

Why doesn't their President ask the U.N. for military aide so that these drug cartels can be stopped? Hell, they know where 6 of the 7 seven cartel bosses live. Send in the troops .. Destroy these worthless ass people and get to building the country into the money cow paradise that it used to be.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Detailed Perfection]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Funny that the DOJ and the Federales all agree that the weapons are actually moving up from the south for the most part... FARC sells it's old stuff to pay for new stuff that they get from people like Hugo Chavez etc...

Shortly after his inauguration Obama's Attorney general tried to justify a new AWB by citing the drug violence in mexico. Really it's sickening how people can get lead into emotional reaction overrides judgement political skullduggery so easilly and consistently.

The War on drugs is a war on the american people, the true purveyors are still and always have been inside our own government and intel communities. But look at how tidily the war on drugs accomplishes so many goals. It destroys families, allows them to imprison and keep in the system millions, and gives them a reason to upgun and militarize their police while disarming and stripping our rights in the name of officer safety and community cleanliness etc.

Wake up people addiction is a disease, drugs are a problem BECAUSE they are illegal, and nothing they do is going to fix the problem because they don't want to fix it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

Are you one of those 'Legalize Drugs and the problems go away' people?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Even the skeezy attorney Harvey Levin who does TMZ is telling the fans of TMZ that Mexico is too dangerous to visit right now. I personally would not go there. My co worker has rearranged a cruise she and her husband were taking, they are no longer going to mexico due to the murders and robberies they have heard about, some of what they heard came from some friends they have made through the years visiting Mexico.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I think if Mexico wants to take care of the drug cartels and problems they should legalize the death penalty.

You cannot win, if you have corrupt police officers inside jails still letting the leaders of the cartels that are caught give commands to his cartel from inside the prison.

I think the citizens of Mexico are getting fed up and I wouldn't be surprised if there is an attempt to throw out the government in the coming years, you cannot expect change when this has been going on for decades.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Well ... just legalizing drugs wouldn't solve any problems with how F'ed up everything else is.

But I am a Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness person... The logic used to justify most laws these days is highly spurious and when you come down to it can ALWAYS be traced to some profit based motive....

The Justice Industry, which btw when it becomes an industry it stops being Just, is something we need to look at closely if we ever revamp our nation into something close to what it was intended to be in the future.

As for the Mexico situation it's all terribly sad and yes I'm saying flat out that drugs being legal here would stop most of the deaths happening THERE right now. The whole situation is part of a larger picture of certain groups creating horrific suffering in whole populations to justify their agendas and pad their bottom lines.... Look into project censored for 2009 Food Aid from the Us government is another majorly sad situation.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Detailed Perfection

These people would rather make excuses as to why things are so bad in their country instead of demanding their government do something about it.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Detailed Perfection]

Mexico has so many death people because the GOVERNMENT IS DOING SOMETHING ABOUT DRUGS. Actual Mexican president policy IS war on drugs. Things would not been so hot if the policy were the old one.

Now, would drug dealers have so many resources if drugs were not such a good business?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I don't think people really realize the culture of mexico. Drugs are everywhere, there are people trying rip you off everywhere. I don't even think I can discuss many of the things I have seen there, that seemed, normal, or commonplace on ATS. Mexico is not just Cabo, PV, Acapulco, and Cancun. The non tourist spots, can get very sketchy very fast. Rural places, and cities too.

The people aren't going to toss their government, and the drugs will never ever go away.
I don't know what will happen to mexico, but it will take a miracle for it to be something positive. I guess the same goes for the rest of the world too, mexico is just gonna go first.

I try to think of mexico as a thriving country and work my way back from there, but that ain't easy.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by oshdra

well mexico has legalized most drugs for personal use, but i don't see what good that will do.
www.independent.co.uk... aine-now-legal-in-mexico-ndash-in-small-doses-1776792.html

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I would not advocate legalizing the death penalty in a system as corrupt as mexico's.
I see your point, but the potential for tragic injustices has me thinking otherwise.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
it is unfortunate that a rich nation can create products that have little value anywhere else other than in nations these products are not available.this vacuum allows people to be rash in the thoughts that wander through the mind, and a strong will and weak mind will be prone to actions that seem justifiable.in such aforementioned circumstances it is wise for the people of nations who offer goods that are not viewed as value within their own lands to come together.but the importation of goods within the these aforementioned lands creates the prior mentioned vacuum resulting in a recurring cycle.if their export is drugs and americas export is culture a means of community would need to be established that would negate the problems resulting in the disproportional aspects of this "business arrangement".

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I do remember when Mexico legalized pretty much all drugs. Im not sure how they regulate their stuff, like how amsterdam for example, does. Then of course, the cartels are pushing huge amounts thru mexico into the US and some fight eachother for territory. In my opinion, if it was just the goverment that supplied everything, there wouldnt be turf wars and all that senseless killing from the gangs/cartels.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I do remember when Mexico legalized pretty much all drugs. Im not sure how they regulate their stuff, like how amsterdam for example, does.

well they've legalized more stuff then amsterdam and I'm pretty sure they aren't doing much to regulate. I think they legalized possession for personal use to keep authorities focused on the real culprits, and to stop packing them in at prisons. Not a bad idea in that regard, but regulation? Come on...

Then of course, the cartels are pushing huge amounts thru mexico into the US and some fight eachother for territory. In my opinion, if it was just the goverment that supplied everything, there wouldnt be turf wars and all that senseless killing from the gangs/cartels.

this is a scary statement. You're putting an awful lot of faith in the government, bad idea, especially when it's the mexican government. I don't see any way that they can get into supplying drugs. What are they supposed to do, just open up a chain of shops?
It's just not realistic, at this point, for the government to have any hand in the drug business down there. They legalized it for personal use, they should stop right there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join