It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The width of the universe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I only found out about string theory recently. I had a friend tell me about it after I explained my waves theory, so that is that. These 'branes' sound like the waves that I'm talking about.

BTW, where do you get starting point from what I said? 'A Brief History of Time' explains a frothing time bubble and has it's own explanation of infinity, but he still had to start with something, thus the 'big bang'... by my theory, the big bang could be the result of the 'negative' side of a black hole.

Basically, the big picture is that everything is one, and you can get as far away from it to view it, it's still going to be the same size, everywhere. It's a matter of understanding philosophy rather than just making sense of what someone else said. I'm sure if you take everyone's theories and paint their big pictures, they are all the exact same thing, even religious (theories).

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Ah! Finally some word from a cedible source (scientists from Space.com)! I have this theory of two Spaces - Alpha Space, and Omega Space. Omega Space is the Universe, filled with matter AND dark matter. Alpha space is outside of Omega Space, filled only with dark matter. Dark matter is the "blackness" in space, the absence of matter, the anti-gravity pushing it all apart. I also have a theory that with enough dark matter, (light) matter is created, a possible explanation for the expansion theory- perheps with points of concentrated dark matter (black holes?). If the Universe has dimensions, it has an edge. But I dont think its like a shell - its just a boundry where the possibility of matter ends, it is not tangible and unrecordable by intruments. Its a limit.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Actually, this does beg the question for me:

(all in light years)

What is the diameter of our solar system?

What is the diameter of our local cluster?

What is the diameter of the supercluster we're located in?

What is the diameter of the universe? (which seems to be answered here; about 760 billion light years across?)

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Back to the mobius strip theory, that doesn't answer much, because you can still have something outside the mobius strip. Try and picture this, its strange, what if our universe IS one of many, an atom if you will, that joins with many others to form a molecule, which in turn form an object, then a universe. A universe of universes. Hmm. Now imagine the opposite. Nothing, imagine there was nothing, anywhere, no universe, no matter, no dark matter, no anti-matter.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I believe this sort of answer about what is beyond our universe will become apparent when we start understanding the other dimensions, other than 1D, 2D, 3D and Time.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Angloshot: Already been said.. by me and EarthScum..

ThunderCloud: No, the Universal diameter is approximately 156 Billion light years, it was 1 Septillion, 482 Sixillion Kilometers - quite a bit smaller than 700 Billion light years..

Relex: We do understand quite a lot about 5,6,7,8,9,10.. and, well, debatable whether its really 11D. It's called String Theory, my friend.

Go Strings!

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gvret
Just read an article by a Professor Neil Kolreich from the university of Montana, who claims that he has established the actual width of the universe at 721 billion trillion light years!

Not an Atkins friendly universe, huh?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Just reported what I heard from this professor thats all.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I remember my college astronomy prof mentioning a theory about there not actually being a mesurable distance to the edge of the universe.

I think the theory went something like this:

If the shockwave from the big bang is the edge of the universe it is still expanding away from the epicenter of the explosion. However seeing as at the time of the big bang all of the demensions (up to 7 if you believe the string theory) were bent around the ball of matter that became the universe, so it is at least possible that the bending continues, evidenced by things like black holes and spacial rifts. Then it could be concluded that the measure of distance becomes more clouded as one moves towards the shock front, making even basic dimensions of time and space flux.

~Astral

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
"The findings eliminate any chance of seeing our ancient selves, however, unless we can master time travel."

i thought there was something suspiscious about that sentence....MASTER time travel....that would mean they already can time travel and alll they need to do is MASTER it....so in conclusion i say they have already tried time traveling.......just nobody ever came back....just my thought

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join