It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not ignorance, not ignorance, not ignorance.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Ok, I'm sick and tired of all these idiots calling people ignorant just because they have some conservative view-points. Take me for example, I've considered all sides. I have things from conservative view-points, same as liberal ones. I'm sick of people calling me a "blind follower" because I believe in God, and Jesus. The war in Iraq and George Bush are perfect example. Everyone who is for Bush is supposedly "ignorant", and everyone against him educated. They mention things like the poor guy choking on his pretzel, they don't mention that Bush's economic plans are actually doing somewhat well. My friend the other day tried to set me up. He was asking me if I was a conservative. He said "Are you against abortion". I said "Yes". Then he said, "Are you for the death penalty?". Now, it was pretty damned obvious that he was trying to set me up for this and say "Congrats!!! You're conservative!!" So I said, "Yes, if someone rapes and murders a bunch of people, they do deserve to die...after some suffering. But babies in their mothers womb have done nothing wrong...yet". He told me to answer, "yes" or "no"... I believe some things that would be considered, "out there" and I also believe some pretty conservative things. Such as the war in Iraq, I think America might not actually be doing stupid evil things there. My uncle is a green beret, first hand experience. He has told me about things that he has seen. I'm sick of people pulling things out of their a$$'s, like that we "Planted" those WMD's there before pretending to discover them. Then they call me ignorant because I prove them wrong simply by asking them where they got this random idea from. It's usually just hear-say. Things aren't always as simple as black and white. Just because you believe alot of wild things, doesn't make you open-minded and intelligent. I know ALOT of people who are very close minded, and I could even call them ignorant because they ONLY believe the BAD things about America, and the wild and crazy ideas about space and the paranormal. They don't consider ALL sides of the story (Hint: there isn't always just two) For example, I think we may be doing good things in Iraq "liberating" these people and such. On the other hand, we do do some stupid things, such as firing on a wedding ceremony. Rarely am I ever 100% on one side of something this big. Another thing is God. I do believe in him, and that Jesus died for my sins, but I do find many contradictions in the bible. Sometimes I even argue points against things that are said in the bible, thinking it's possible that the bible was screwed with during the middle ages. So, liberals and other people that believe many things that are considered, "Wild" and "out there": Please stop calling people ignorant because they have conservative view points, only if the refuse to consider other possibilities are they every really ignorant. Some people have already considered everything that they find valid, and have settled on a belief.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Damn.

Looks like that's been on your mind for a while.

Why do you care what people think anyways? I have my views and personally I could give less than a shyte if someone thinks im ignorant. I don't care because I know Im not. So It's not even worth worrying about it.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
maybe it's a problem of; "if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem" ?

Personally I say to hell with everyone ^^

edit: transmission failure, brain override.

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow, I even had to take a deep breath after that one!
Be yourself, be true to yourself, and don't let people get to you. We all tend to get a little pieved sometimes at people who try to tell us how to be, or that we are wrong or pin lables on us etc. And thats ok, people are entitled to thier opinions, and the way they see things, and so are you.

Sometimes you just want to

Great rant!!

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I feel like I know exactly what Herman is talking about. I am amazed when people are horrified that I don't see the obvious truth of THEIR side. They cannot believe any wholesome person could disagree with them.

Well, let me tell you all something. Maybe I, I am the liberal. Because I am so much more tolerant than any of you. I have to listen to whining zombies cringe about the fact that America isn't drowning in a cesspool of indolence and vice. You have it easy. You get to attack anyone who thinks differently, and still tell yourselves that you have the moral high ground.

I don't even call my opponents names in my signature.

See, you can disagree with me and not automatically be evil, or ignorant.

But if you think I'm wrong, then I must be stupid, as well. I must be an unknowing lout from the fly-over states. There is no way I could know other languages, or run a business, or have multiple degrees and still be conservative, right?

I mean, every GOOD person lives just like you, right?

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I'm having the same problem.

It even seems like my family sold me out to become a liberal (except my dad).

Not like I care, but I get ganged up on and stepped all over when I try to speak.

Seems I'm a radical because I think we should be "free" to dictate where our money goes, mind you we did earn it and all.

I'm and extremist because I am not afraid of people buying legal guns. WOOOOOOOO, scary.

Who cares though. I know I didn't just jump into these views, and actually I have a few that are liberal, but I am 90% conservative.

I feel your pain, just create unbeatable arguements. They take a long time, but are worth it.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well, it's not just what people think. They can think what they want I guess... What gets me is the people that I actually talk to that try to tell me this crap. It's not just their opinion, they try to force it on me. For example, (imagine this in a very quick, snappy strident tone) "Ok, our (America's) medical systems are the WORST in the entire world. Did you know that (insert my name)?? THE WORST!! (insert my name), They are the worst and more expensive in the entire f@$ world.." He's a complete idiot. He has no proof of that. My mom is an nurse, that's pretty offensive to me, and wildley untrue. Then if I try to tell him that they aren't, he calls me ignorant. He's the ignorant one because he has no damn clue what he's talking about and when I present him with facts he ignores them. Ignorance, root word "ignore" (I think, could be wrong but it sounds like it) Then he tries telling me "Nursing is just a job that these lazy a$4$'s take because they want a little extra cash for $9 an hour" That stupid F-- head. My mom went to college for over 4 years to become a nurse. She makes well over $20 an hour. I told him this and of course he ignores in and says "Well...I bet your MOM is some kind of...SPECIAL nurse right!? I'm talking about these regular nurses, (insert my name). The ones that just work at normal hospitals and stuff. Those are the lazy people and that's why our medical systems are the worst in the world" So I say, "She's an RN (meaning registered nurse). He says, "See?? that's what I mean. Not the special kind like your mom, I mean the REGULAR ones." "Sure we might cure something, but then we cause a butt load of other things" He is constantly in my face talking about other stuff he has no clue about, yet since it's a different opinion, he is the educated, intelligent one and I am ignorant and naive.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Sounds like a typical spewer. Probably just parrotting some nonsense he's heard and then when you don't instantly cave under the power of his "argument", there's nothing to follow up with. All show, no blow. Best thing you can do is ignore people like that unless you like being aggravated, because that's all they're going to do for you.

Sometimes I just nod and say "You're absolutely right, tell me more!" and they'll often fall for it and keep blathering until they realize I'm screwing with them. All depends on whether you're in the mood to tussle. Mostly just try not to let it get to you. Used to bother me until I realized that whether they agree with me or not... whether they realize they're being idiotic or not... whether they make sense or not.. the sun will rise and life will go on as usual. Every moment you give to being frustrated over someone else is a moment of peace you deny yourself.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Well, it's not just what people think. They can think what they want I guess...

I've found something completely childish works in a situation like that.

Here's the trick:

1) Do not argue

2) Seem to be interested (you don't have to win an Academy Award or anything)

3) The magic words "Prove it" followed by "Show me".

Rinse and repeat until they are broken down.

If that doesn't work, resort to Plan B.

A big freakin body slam (although a nice clothesline works well too).

Let me know how it goes.

new topics

top topics

join