It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two More Earthquakes In California.

page: 1

join
share:
la2

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The first Earthquake was a 4.3, just outside Palm Springs

Magnitude 4.3
Date-Time

* Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 02:36:08 UTC
* Monday, January 11, 2010 at 06:36:08 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 33.967°N, 116.876°W
Depth 7.1 km (4.4 miles)
Region SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances

* 4 km (3 miles) NNE (27°) from Banning, CA
* 10 km (6 miles) ENE (62°) from Beaumont, CA
* 12 km (7 miles) WNW (302°) from Cabazon, CA
* 17 km (11 miles) ESE (114°) from Yucaipa, CA
* 33 km (20 miles) E (82°) from Moreno Valley, CA
* 127 km (79 miles) E (94°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.2 km (0.1 miles); depth +/- 0.8 km (0.5 miles)
Parameters Nph=122, Dmin=10 km, Rmss=0.24 sec, Gp= 11°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source

* California Integrated Seismic Net:
* USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID ci14571828

la2

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The second Earthquake was a 3.5 in the same place as the 6.5 a few days ago

Magnitude 3.5
Date-Time

* Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 02:53:34 UTC
* Monday, January 11, 2010 at 06:53:34 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 40.516°N, 124.999°W
Depth 9.4 km (5.8 miles)
Region OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances

* 63 km (39 miles) W (264°) from Ferndale, CA
* 64 km (40 miles) WNW (290°) from Petrolia, CA
* 71 km (44 miles) WSW (251°) from Humboldt Hill, CA
* 77 km (48 miles) WSW (247°) from Eureka, CA
* 373 km (232 miles) NW (307°) from Sacramento, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 4.7 km (2.9 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters Nph= 23, Dmin=56 km, Rmss=0.12 sec, Gp=302°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=3
Source

* California Integrated Seismic Net:
* USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID nc71339301

la2

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Is this activity possibly the fore-runner to something alot bigger?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by la2

i sure hope not...last thurs i felt a 4 point something here in silicon vallet california...ive only lived here for 3 years and is only the 2nd earthquake ive felt...not sure how i would handle a "big one"...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
i really hope not, because if it is its very scurrrry.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
These are reported in the Quake watch thread, i'd go check that out first because there are some very knowledgable people in there that can give you your answers

EQ's in the Mag of 4's dont really need their own threads
(and i'm not trying to be rude, but they are always reported and discussed in Quake watch 2010 almost as soon as they happen)

la2

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
its more worried me how the 3.5, on a different fault occured just 10 mins or so after the one further south, as if the faults are letting go of tension like the domino effect.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't want to keep posting in multiple threads, but the 3.5 is probably not remarkable, it's an expected aftershock from the 6.5 the other day. Timing did come right after the SoCal quake but I don't think there's any relationship. We should expect more aftershocks, which is completely normal.

That SoCal quake had some foreshocks that I commented on about an hour before the main shock (or what we hope is the main shock.)

Anyway, yeah you should follow that thread.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Although I do not wish this to happen at all, If the big one does strike, we wouldn't know about it till at least 10 mins after. First of all, it would be a really big one and we would feel it as if we were having an earthquake (ok we being the people living in the states that boarder Cali.) As for the rest of the world we wouldnt know till A. someone posted it online, or B. some breaking news happened on TV. (or in the rare occasion we are speaking to the person in Cali just as it hits. but even then we may just chalk it up to the line cutting.) The Cali poeple would be too busy saving thier own lives to worry about posting online saying OMG we are having the big one! So granted it looks bad having this 4.something quakes and all, we dont know if it has already struck or at least we wont know till someone (sadly most likely the government run news outlets) tells us. I am happy I live in Canada, We will know of it 20 minutes after it happens. maybe even the next day. depending on the size of the town we live in. I pray that it doesnt happen in my lifetime, but If it does I dont know what I can do to help. I hate feeling powerless to help and that will be exactly the possition I will be in. So here's to wishing for the Big one to stay small and meaningless.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
On the contrary, I think we would know right away. (Although an official report would take a bit.) You would be amazed how many people immediately whip out their mobile devices during the first few seconds of a quake (when communications wouldn't be down yet.)

It typically takes less than a minute to hear something on Twitter and 5-10 to hear anything from the USGS. Use an online Twitter client like Tweetgrid and run an ongoing "earthquake" search, results come in near real time.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
These were simply the most anticipated and predicted after-shocks.

Back to the conspiracy garden on this one gang.

LOL.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by anubis9311
Although I do not wish this to happen at all, If the big one does strike, we wouldn't know about it till at least 10 mins after. First of all, it would be a really big one and we would feel it as if we were having an earthquake (ok we being the people living in the states that boarder Cali.) As for the rest of the world we wouldnt know till A. someone posted it online, or B. some breaking news happened on TV. (or in the rare occasion we are speaking to the person in Cali just as it hits. but even then we may just chalk it up to the line cutting.) The Cali poeple would be too busy saving thier own lives to worry about posting online saying OMG we are having the big one! So granted it looks bad having this 4.something quakes and all, we dont know if it has already struck or at least we wont know till someone (sadly most likely the government run news outlets) tells us. I am happy I live in Canada, We will know of it 20 minutes after it happens. maybe even the next day. depending on the size of the town we live in. I pray that it doesnt happen in my lifetime, but If it does I dont know what I can do to help. I hate feeling powerless to help and that will be exactly the possition I will be in. So here's to wishing for the Big one to stay small and meaningless.

Yeah i agree with the poster below you on this one, plus Equake updates within 15mins, and twitter, almost on the minute - we will know. I check every morning on equake in case i've missed it.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Guys although still very unprepared CA has been planning for the big one for a very long time. I don't think the big one would be as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I just wonder who all these so called earthquake proof buildings would handle a big one. I think many houses would be fine. But it's older towns and areas of cities that would be hit most hard.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Guys although still very unprepared CA has been planning for the big one for a very long time. I don't think the big one would be as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I just wonder who all these so called earthquake proof buildings would handle a big one. I think many houses would be fine. But it's older towns and areas of cities that would be hit most hard.

If it is the "big one" then most of the buildings are goners. If they don't fall down then the stuff in side them will do enough damage to people inside them. The old buildings will collapse. Houses would crumble. What didn't fall down would probably be hit by a giant tsunami.

If you are talking around a 6.5 again or a 7 then if it hits the right area you would still have massive devastation that would be in the 100's of millions of dollars to repair damage. That alone would cause chaos that we have not see yet.

At least this is my opinions from what I have learned over the years.

top topics

join