It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge of same-sex marriage ban begins in Calif.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Just to make my personal opinion clear:

I don't believe couples of any sexual orientation should be receiving benefits and privileges at the expense of taxpayers if they do not intend to have or raise children.

What about the other legal protections, like inheritance, the right to make medical decisions and to visit the loved one in hospital, etc? (someone, I forget who just now, included a good summary of the state and federal privileges of marriage vs civil union on about page 2 of the thread)

What about the right to be covered by the partner's health insurance?

EDIT: it was tothetenthpower who posted the lists, in this post.

[edit on 1/13/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
What about the other legal protections, like inheritance, the right to make medical decisions and to visit the loved one in hospital, etc? (someone, I forget who just now, included a good summary of the state and federal privileges of marriage vs civil union on about page 2 of the thread)

EDIT: it was tothetenthpower who posted the lists, in this post.

I understand where he is coming from and agree that those things should be a reality for two people that are in love and want a uinion of some kind.

But WHY does the concept of MARRIAGE need to be altered by the wishes of a minority? Allow the same benefits that you have described, just don't call it Marriage because it is NOT Marriage! Change the law if you want to state that "Garriage" or "Civil Unions" carry those same benefits you mentioned earlier.

Marriage is a concept that rests on the foundation that two people can procreate independently of the people who live around them and create a family in the process.

[edit on 13/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbatWhat about the other legal protections, like inheritance, the right to make medical decisions and to visit the loved one in hospital, etc? (someone, I forget who just now, included a good summary of the state and federal privileges of marriage vs civil union on about page 2 of the thread)

[edit on 1/13/2010 by americandingbat]

what about platonic "partners"- what about two sisters who live together all their lives.

This is just attention seeking from some gays in my opinion, more "LOOK AT ME, WE ARE NOT GOING AWAY, BUT PLEASE LOOK AT ME, TREAT ME AS NORMAL, BUT PLEASE LOOK AT ME" etc

They have official recognition of a "Union"

<< 2  3  4   >>

join