It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulsar bursts move 'faster than light'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Quote from source:

Every physicist is taught that information cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light. Yet laboratory experiments done over the last 30 years clearly show that some things appear to break this speed limit without upturning Einstein's special theory of relativity. Now, astrophysicists in the US have seen such superluminal speeds in space – which could help us to gain a better understanding of the composition of the regions between stars.

Superluminal speeds are associated with a phenomenon known as anomalous dispersion, whereby the refractive index of a medium (such as an atomic gas) increases with the wavelength of transmitted light. When a light pulse – which is comprised of a group of light waves at a number of different wavelengths – passes through such a medium, its group velocity can be boosted to beyond the velocity of its constituent waves. However, the energy of the pulse still travels at the speed of light, which means that information is transferred in agreement with Einstein's theory.

Now, astrophysicists claim to have witnessed this phenomenon in radio pulses that have traveled from a distant pulsar.

Interesting to say the least. We now have evidence that particles can move faster than light. I guess all those people who have said this before where on to something....

Any thoughts?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
also from the article

The cause of the anomalous dispersion for these pulses, according to the Brownsville astrophysicists, is the resonance of neutral hydrogen, which lies at 1420.4 MHz. But like anomalous dispersion seen in the lab, the pulsar's superluminal pulses do not violate causality or relativity because, technically, no information is carried in the pulse.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Where does it say particles, it says waves. Where is the original article? I believe someone said that light at smaller wavelength can travel faster than normal light.

Nothing with mass can travel faster than light, because by definition mass is "a vibration of core energy curving space around itself," and I believe any vibration of core energy with mass or curves space has to follow that curved space, thus taking longer than something that doesn't curve space, i.e has no mass.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by np6888]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by np6888

I am asking because I have no idea, but how is it possible that something has no mass? I thought that would be impossible but I'm no scientist...yet.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Mass is defined.as something that exerts a gravitational force. Basically, it is a force. When an "object"(photon) has no mass, it means that they could not detect any force from that "object."

Light can't escape black holes can be explained by the fact that it follows the curved space around the black hole, and that curved space does not "lead outside."

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by np6888

Mass is defined.as something that exerts a gravitational force. Basically, it is a force. When an "object"(photon) has no mass, it means that they could not detect any force from that "object."

Light can't escape black holes can be explained by the fact that it follows the curved space around the black hole, and that curved space does not "lead outside."

I see, I did not understand that photons had no mass, quite interesting actually. Thanks for the explanation.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't want to confuse the issue, but photons have no resting mass -- meaning if a photon was at rest it would have no mass. The only thing is that photons are never at rest -- they always move the speed of light.

HOWEVER, because photons are moving, they have a relativistic mass, which is caused by its momentum -- i.e., a photon's momentum gives it force, and force = mass.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

--i always figured thet something that travels faster then light would just be a. of what u see--and the faster it is going over the light speed the farther out in front it would be-invisable in its real time- only visable in its past--but still there--make sence???na--we will find out when they try it at bonniville----------

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks for clearing that up! I was wondering the same thing, I was also wondering if we could possibly tell that a photon has no resting mass as they are never resting. I also thought it would be impossible for some thing to have no mass.

I also thought that photons are waves and particles...I thought they couldn't put them into one class.

Pred...

top topics

join