It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the "soul" and what happens when you die?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I can see how people may interpret this as coming from outside of their body. In my view, that's just a delusion. I think it's a common delusion, and exists because people can't rationally explain it...

This may sort of explain the creation process, but it doesn't explain the impact of masterworks of art on otherwise stolid individuals. Something happens that bypasses the mundane neural processes and goes straight to the Soul of the viewer, moving him to inexplicable emotional response (crying, laughing, etc) or simply blowing him away. Even the most rational among us will become inexplicably transfixed on masterworks and even have epiphanies of understanding about the artist and his motivations.

How is that information being conveyed across Time & Space? Most interestingly, why doesn't a copy of a masterwork (a physical copy or photograph, for example) have the same impact as the original masterwork? What is it about the original that impacts the viewer so profoundly?

I think the obvious answer is that the artist imbues his work with some kind of vibe, some kind of energy to which others are sensitive and receptive. Yet this energy does not translate through our mechanical reproduction processes!

That's a phenomenon, in anyone's book.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I must admit the absolutes you use don't help your argument much. Some people become transfixed. Some people have epiphanies.

In my view this original bypass you speak of is basically a savant skill. Have you done research on savants? I only have a basic understanding of this. It usually happens when there is brain damage to the left brain. Neuroplasticity comes in, and the right brain may make unusual connections. It's thought that areas of the right brain connect to the subconscious. In this case, a savant bridges his conscious awareness with his subconscious. Part of what's in the subconscious is our ID, instinctual desires. Basically, I think this bridge is what moves people.

The fact that some people become moved by masterpieces can easily be explained by the fact that we have universal desires, and have experienced past collective experiences. Even if we're not a savant, we still have some connection to our subconscious. When we see something that so strongly represents a part of our collective self, we may experience profundity.

I respect you belief, but think otherwise. Let's just agree to disagree. I look forward to your future posts. Have enjoyed many so far.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LususNaturae

The "soul" is our word for the output of the electrochemical chain reaction that happens in our body from the moment of conception to the moment we die. If we use cars as an analogy, the "soul" of a car is the running engine. When the car runs out of fuel, the engine stops. The car's "soul" appears to have left the car, but all the components of the car are still there, it's just out of gas.

The soul is a religious concept born out of ignorance of physiology.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The soul, mind, and body are both physical and metaphysical.

When the bio-chemical body that you now use to enjoy/experience space/time dies you as an enternal entity of time/space will continue indefinitley. The bio-chemical body is but a denser more powerful body complex. Your mind/body/soul are still quite intact after death.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

The "soul" is our word for the output of the electrochemical chain reaction that happens in our body from the moment of conception to the moment we die. If we use cars as an analogy, the "soul" of a car is the running engine. When the car runs out of fuel, the engine stops. The car's "soul" appears to have left the car, but all the components of the car are still there, it's just out of gas.

The soul is a religious concept born out of ignorance of physiology.

And soon to be reborn again out of the study psychology and the science of light and sound.

The soul isn't the running of the engine, it's the awareness of the one who was driving the car before it ran out gas.

The measure of soul is the measure of "awareness" while we are alive. The Buddha said that just as there are many levels of being asleep there are also many levels of being awake. Some are more awake than others.

It's awareness and consciousness that expands in evolution. The body evolves because of the mind, it is not the other way around. Awareness is endless. "I think, therefore I am" is the old axiom. Awareness, through the mechanism of mind, precedes matter. There will come a time in the future when all we have to do is to think about something and that 'thing' will be produced. Energy equals matter (times the speed of light squared).

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Neo__]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
All your questions can be answered here, www.lawofone.info...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join