It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viacom's MTV to Launch Gay Cable Network

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NATURAL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe that means something your BORN with.
Just because YOUR not born that way does not make it wrong.
Seriously..........some folks are born without appendedges (arm/leggs) and some folks are born with ADD......or MS...........these things are NOT something we might desire to live with but some folks have no chioce. It does NOT make it WRONG...come on!
Some folks are born gay...they just are.........accept it and STOP trying to make everybody be JUST LIKE YOU. Flippen war monger control freeks.

(In my earlier post I for got to add that this channell would probebly show alot of Will & Grace episodes..........and I mean.......ALOT)

I dont lert my child watch any kind of sex on TV.....and its easy anyway because he says "ewwwww kissing! BLECK!" and leaves the room...even when Cinderella kisses the Prince in the disney cartoon.

I EMBRACE diversity! I would be happy to know there was a gay channell for all the folks that wanted it! Just because something EXSISTS on the planet does not mean you PERSONALLY must bring it into your own home. You can choose to not buy the velvet painting and hang it on your wall...you can choose to not watch a gay channell on TV...very simple really.

Choices are wonderfull!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I will take this a step further, I hope my son doesn't turn out gay, not because of some antiquated religious belief but because I hope he doesn't have to deal with this homophobic world, that has NO clue. IT'S NOT A CHOICE!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
WHO THE HELL CARES?!?!

If you don't want to watch, or don't agree with it, don't friggen watch the channel, or block the channel!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Goddess, you are wonderful. I bow to you. Your kids will do well.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacKiller
WHO THE HELL CARES?!?!

If you don't want to watch, or don't agree with it, don't friggen watch the channel, or block the channel!

Ignorance is rife as far as this topic is concerned, and what is our goal? Thats why.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hey West Point 23:

OK, Ill agree to leave Freud's Theory of Human BiSexuality (1902) out of this discussion.

So take a look at what happens in the Animal Kingdom. Have you ever actually" in person" seen TWO ADULT MALE RAMS engaged in literally slamming their horns into each other's heads---literally jumping towards each other in one of those male superiority battles?

Now...Did you ever KEEP ON WATCHING to what ACTUALLY happens after they finish and one of them "wins"? huh? Yes or no?

Well...let me tell you what happens more than half of the time....

The dominant male Ram anally sodomises (with actual penile penetration!) the weaker one after the match is over. A similar thing happens with Chimpanzees and Urangatans. And most children have seen male dogs sodomize other male dogs in the street.

Nature is actually full of gay activity among higher mammals and even birds. Look at doves. Certain species of dove mate for life. It is not uncommon to see two male doves coo-cooing for years having made the "mating commitment", but obviously no little ones come of it. The nest is empty obviously in these cases.

Ditto for two female doves. Once two doves decide to pair off, that's it. And at least 10% of the time, its same sex marriages all the way!

Most of these dove species of course are heterosexual (90 percent) but like humans, 10 percent of them are homosexually paired....

So take a CLOSER look at Nature before you make generalisations....

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Here I go again adding my two notes to the psalm...

1) Wouldn't it be great if MTV still stood for Music TV? What ever happened to the Music part? Now all you see is The Real world, and numerous other non music shows. Thats why FUSE is kicking some serious MTV b*tt.

2) In order to make a society more accepting of an alternate lifestyle it is vital to make it part of the mainstream. It never helps to make it one of those things that "they do".

3) With the high percentage of gay people in all aspects of the entertainment industry the only surprise left is that it has taken so long to come to this.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Miss Pickle I dont want to devulge the contents of my discussion which i did in this thread(feel free to commment):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I start my ranting on page 33.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by TACHYON]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Tachyon, you will not regress into that thread. It has been put to you that gay activity exists in the animal kingdom, ONCE AGAIN. Google it. Are we wrong? YES OR NO.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I look at the boards today.

All I see are topics about homosexuals and marijuana.

What are these boards turning into???

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
intrepid they are most likely abnormalities. Once again look at the thread and follow my ranting. I will have provided defense for every one of my comments. Scientific or otherwise.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by TACHYON]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Tachyon, you will not regress into that thread. It has been put to you that gay activity exists in the animal kingdom, ONCE AGAIN. Google it. Are we wrong? YES OR NO.

I have heard this arguement before whoever says animals are not gay wasnt raised on a farm......LOL

There was even a famous racehorse, I forget the name, that was bought for stud after getting too old to race and they had to take the sperm because he didnt like girls

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Sorry Mac, this is unfinnished business. Do you find National Geographic to be reputable? If not, you won't see any other view. If you do:
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

(In my earlier post I for got to add that this channell would probebly show alot of Will & Grace episodes..........and I mean.......ALOT)

I'm a lesbian, and I hate Will & Grace
I would much rather see all the networks accurately reflect an open-minded, truly free society. Where black people aren't always portrayed as criminals or rappers, or the token oreo. Where men aren't always amiable, incompetent doofuses, constantly bailed out by their long-suffering and ever so common-sensical wives. Where gay men are more than fashion savvy drag queens. The media marketing stereotypes are as endless as they are stupid.

Keep the gay channel and the gay marketing campaigns, and give me the boring gay couple that lived down my street. They collected Corvairs and took walks to the park every evening. Give me the filipino/white mixed couple next door who threw a monster pig roast for their daughter's first birthday. And the "gangsters" who always walked past my house to the corner store. Yes they were buying 40's, but they took the time to chat with a 30-something white woman about my 67 Impala.

Debuting a gay channel seems destined to cause more of a divide than to mainstream a "lifestyle" to heteros. It makes being gay an other, a separation to point at or avoid, and that's a shame.

--Saerlaith

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well.... *counts how old he is*...

I've been a subscriber to the National Geo. for 15 years now, my mom wanted my to have a lifetime collection

I guess I do find it a quality source

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saerlaith
Debuting a gay channel seems destined to cause more of a divide than to mainstream a "lifestyle" to heteros. It makes being gay an other, a separation to point at or avoid, and that's a shame.

--Saerlaith

You must be young. All in the Family did SO much for women and non-whites. Just laughing at Archie's idiocy worked. Haven't we already breached the gap? How close is it? Or am I just so old that I GET IT?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You must be young. All in the Family did SO much for women and non-whites. Just laughing at Archie's idiocy worked. Haven't we already breached the gap? How close is it? Or am I just so old that I GET IT?

I'm 38. I grew up in a multicultural family, in a very poor neighborhood, and my parents were hippies. I experienced and witnessed a lot of discrimination first hand. I think most of the lessons taught by that era of tv show have been forgotten or not passed on to a lot of folks. There is the PC, legally enforced version of diversity, but I think the way it's been handled has made a lot of people anti-PC when they can get away with it. And a lot of urban youth don't see white folk as benign, just people to figure out so as to get ahead in life.

I also think the icon of Archie Bunker has morphed into something more like Fred Flintstone. On All in the Family, his views were actually challenged. In fact, current events and socially relevant issues were common on the show. Now that seems taboo. People don't like sitcoms that make them uncomfortable with their stereotypes. And everyone may know the male protagonist is a boob, but instead of challenging him, they indulge the poor breadwinner.

I grew up being taught one lesson from my parents, that everyone means well, treat everyone as equals and with respect, but what I learned from experience is that difference = abberant/wrong/evil to lots of the people one reaches out to in friendship.

--Saerlaith

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Just some random thoughts-

1. Prior to this generation there were few out gay characters on television. The majority of people over 30 did not regularly see gay people (prior to MTV - I suppose Elton and Bowie did show up on talk shows). So this says to me that media cannot dictate sexuality...I mean watching straight people on TV did not turn me into a queer, I don't think straight people watching queers will turn either.

2. I firmly believe in freedom of speech, but with that freedom comes obligation. I do not expect people to give me applause or pity because I am who I am. I accept that many people out there feel that I am either evil or misguided. What I ask is that when one posts their 'facts' on gays and lesbians that they back it up with logical data and be open to other interpretations.

3. I would totally support straight white guy television. Straight male bashing is becoming just as socially acceptable as fag jokes.

4. I don't think gay people would be "freaks" (I think that is the terminology I saw) for wanting to watch a different kind of television. Are African Americans freaks for watching BET? Or Spanish people freaks for watching television broadcast in their own language? The reality that queer people live from day to day is different, so the logic, sense of humor and stylistic differences would be reflected. Maybe this makes them a little different than you, it does not account to freakishness.

5. Many animals are gay. It is documented.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
MB, that is extremely lucid. Thank you. I am not putting this forward because I'm gay, I'm married with 3 kids and raising them with tollerance AND exceptance to other lifestyles. Why should we look at other people different because they happen to be gay? I just don't get it.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

do you mean with this, that it's ok if your son were young to watch straight sex then?? I doesnt matter if you are young. You should not watch any sex, gay or straight.

No even if it was straight sex I wouldn't let him watch it but if he did i would be upset. Also i just want to make one point clear I don't mind lesbians I have no problems with lesbians but gay men bother me.

That kind of makes you a hypocrite. It starts being offensive and wrong when it stops being of interest to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join