It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gods, Monsters, Ghosts. Why do we believe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
Why the brain?

The better an organism is at processing information from its environment and acting on the results, the better its chances of survival and reproduction. Hence the brain. But the above is true only for fairly large, complex animals. Generally speaking, the smaller the animal, the less the brain, and plants have no brains at all. If you can't move, there's really isn't much point in having a brain.

How much thinking can a liver fluke do?

Depends on what you mean by thinking. All organisms process and act on information from the environment. That's how your poppies know when to open in springtime.

Are the ants thinking?

Thinking that mass suicide feels great, maybe.

Belief might be an actual tool – used to push, pull and prod us in different directions.

That is exactly what belief is: a means of influencing behaviour.

It would all also seem to be involved with creativity in general

I'm not sure how you connected this up. Could you explain?

The Collective Unconscious - maybe for real?

Oh yes, though nowadays we call it instinct.

As for all those wondrous archetypes and imagos Jung invented, it perhaps makes sense to see them as projections into consciousness of instinctual drives. This could explain why archetypes present themselves in different ways to different people in different cultures while still remaining essentially the same. They are part of our genetic heritage, created in everybody by the same neurophysiological processes, yet modified in their expression by environmental influences, or cultural ones if you prefer.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
reply to post by karl 12

I do agree with you. There is alot of evidence. Also alot of science to back it up.
So I wouldnt classify it as paranormal, per-se.

But what about other things? Things that seemingly do not require evidence..
Example: People believed in ghosts long, long ago. Before video, or cameras, or EVP.

Hey bud, I think you're right about that one - there have been some pretty interesting scientific papers written about the UFO subject -this one about electromagnetic interference effects by NASA's Richard Haines is a good example:

FIFTY-SIX AIRCRAFT PILOT SIGHTlNGS INVOLVING ELECTROMAGNETIC EFFECTS
Richard F. Haines, Ph.D.

As for ghost encounters, I honestly don't know what to think and remain completely open minded -like UFO reports they appear to be global in nature and, as you say, have existed since recorded history began.

Some of the ghost testimony is very intriguing and in certain cases I certainly think something happened to these people -its just what that something is.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

It would all also seem to be involved with creativity in general

I'm not sure how you connected this up. Could you explain?

I can try :-)

I took what you said earlier:

Or perhaps there's no benefit to humans from belief; perhaps the benefit is to the belief itself. Maybe the god-meme or yeti-meme or alien-meme or what have you is good at manipulating humans to keep itself thriving and reproducing in the meme pool--the same way that parasites manipulate the physiology and behaviour of their hosts for their own benefit. Now that's an idea worth thinking about.

Gods, monsters and ghosts are mental parasites. They live inside people's brains. And when they take control of a host, they change the host's behaviour. They make the host talk about them, and try to convince other people they exist. If they succeed, then the parasite has reproduced itself inside another person's brain.

Of course, natural selection operates among these parasites, too. The ones that can't replicate themselves compellingly enough (convincingly enough, creepily enough, memorably enough) die out; the rest live on, thriving, multiplying and evolving.

Us poor humans. Slaves to our own genes. Slaves to other species' genes. Slaves to determinism and chance. And now, slaves to our own ideas.

then I just ran with it – of course it’s possible I misunderstood

I was struck by this idea that we aren’t individuals at all – but city-states around a citadel

we come into the world with governments, laws and blueprints – including our beliefs – already there. Symbolism – language – all locked up inside us – not learned – just let loose.

so – maybe the reason art makes sense to us is because the sense is built in. The feeling that we’re each an individual is an illusion – just a type of nationalism

not very scientific – yes – I know :-)

what you’re saying here is what I meant when I asked about the Collective Unconscious:

Oh yes, though nowadays we call it instinct.

As for all those wondrous archetypes and imagos Jung invented, it perhaps makes sense to see them as projections into consciousness of instinctual drives. This could explain why archetypes present themselves in different ways to different people in different cultures while still remaining essentially the same. They are part of our genetic heritage, created in everybody by the same neurophysiological processes, yet modified in their expression by environmental influences, or cultural ones if you prefer.

so – if the images and symbols are part of our genetic heritage – to me it seems it would explain much about our creativity – communicating and working things out through art

and through religion – with all our monsters, demons and spirits

you asked how I connected this up – I read it at first glance as concocted

concocted is probably the better word

:-)

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
what makes me believe ? when you die your soul goes somewhere. when you die a tragic death , it stays there because it is often haunted by being tormented so much . thats how i see it .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join