It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US dismisses NKorean call for peace treaty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Yahoo News

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea proposed Monday signing a peace treaty this year to formally end the Korean War, a suggestion that Washington quickly dismissed.

In a move seen as an attempt to bolster its negotiating position, the isolated communist regime said a return to negotiations on its nuclear weapons program depends on better relations with Washington and the lifting of sanctions.

However, U.S. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters Monday that peace treaty talks would only be discussed once North Korea comes back to six-nation nuclear talks and takes steps on abandoning its nuclear programs.

I just saw this not too long ago on Yahoo News. Im in between on this one because, I believe it would be good to offically have peace between us, but again, North Korea has been pretty untrustworthy in alot of their stuff. Either way, I would like to see the countries at peace but as long as theres no shady stuff going on. Maybe North Korea is suffering really bad with the economy and everything now and thats why they want an offical peace treaty?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
How many times has this happened - NK gets desperate and starts begging for peace talks in hopes of getting whatever it is that they want? Then they turn around and bite the hand that is feeding it.

I'd dismiss this request, as well.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Agreed. The last time we had a non-nuclear proliferation treaty with N. Korea they violated it and then came out later and bragged about how they violated it. They can't be trusted so long as Kim Jong Il is in charge.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by sos37]

join