It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Amazing Photo from Mars!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Not sure about the explanation on these photos. Taking a closer look now. But, regardless of the explanation... the photos of Mars are fantastic!

Hope you enjoy!

Source: Discover
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/160815340e7f.jpg[/atsimg]

But what are those weird tendril thingies?

In the Martian winter, carbon dioxide freezes out of the air (and you thought it was cold where you are). In the summer, that CO2 sublimates; that is, turns directly from a solid to a gas. When that happens the sand gets disturbed, and falls down the slopes in little channels, which spreads out when it hits the bottom. But this disturbs the red dust, too, which flows with the sand. When it’s all done, you get those feathery tendrils. Note that at the tendril tips, you see blotches of red; that’s probably from the lighter dust billowing a bit before settling down.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/71855ad32127.jpg[/atsimg]
Also see here for an explanation for the weird tendril thingies... LOL
Source: HiRise

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here's a picture of an Ice lake in crater located on mars. The lake is 33,000 feet across!
Source:

This image of a crater in near the Martian North Pole was taken by the High Resolution Stereo Camera on the Mars Express orbiter. It shows a large lake of water ice. The temperature when the image was taken was above the sublimation temperature of carbon dioxide ("dry") ice, so the material must be water ice. The lake is about 10 km (33,000 ft) across.

[edit on 1/11/2010 by x2Strongx]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by x2Strongx

Holy Mother of Jesus... that looks like a petrified forest.

These images are going to shake things up a bit, I would dare say!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

What I'm waiting for is for someone to zoom in and find a "Skull" anomaly...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Wow those pics are sweet

Especially the ice lake one from the second post

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Best bet for life. I say, they live underground
! It's coming soon so brace yourselves!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Does anyone know that if a planet like that, that is so cold, was to say be warmed somehow (manmade, what have you) the planet would thaw out all the moisture trapped within it and we would start to see some precipitation?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Maybe that's where we can send all our Carbon Emissions that way we can start global warming there.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

ahahahah, exactly where my head was at. Simply create a giant garbage burning facility on Mars. Transport earths garbage there to be destroyed, this way we are heating up a new planet at the same time. No-one ever thinks well have two, we could save one while creating another.

Yes this is in good nature i realize the absurdity in sending garbage to a new planet because this one has to much, Futurama anyone?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I believe that the planet Mars goes through epic climate changes like the Earth.
Right now, we just might be observing evidence of the "Martian spring."

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Are these real pictures or computer graphics? If these are real wow.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS!

Incredible!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Sorry to disagree with the great Nasa in the sky but those tendrils look like trees to me. Fantatstic pic I tried to zoom in and didn't see skulls just trees. It is exciting that stuff like this is being released to the general public.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I really don't understand how this thread didn't get more attention? I mean, look at that photo! Totally bizarre and freaking incredible!

new topics

top topics

join