It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liz Cheney Knocks Harry Reid's Racism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hi all,

What is your opinion.

Liz Cheney claims that Harry Reid's comments about President Obama are racist. This she connects to the liberal allowance of racism, saying Harry Reid and other liberal elites may talk to each other in this way, but she doesn't excuse it.

Link

So is he a racist?
Opinions vary but it will be interesting to see reactions at ATS

Thank you

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Just as racist as Trent Lott's comments that forced him from the leadership position.

But as usual, the Democrat gets a pass.

Reid's political career is over anyway, as he will be defeated in a landslide in his 2010 re-election bid.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

Sounds like Liz is deflecting talk from all the crapola Dad's been spouting as of late....The Cheney's are nuts.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

If I am correct isnt Liz Cheney a Gay Democrat?

Nope I checked it out its the other daughter Mary I think.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Having worked with her, I can tell you Lizzy is as Republican as they come. She spent more time planning fund raising activities for the GOP then she did working on her assigned projects. Liz is just trying to deflect criticism about her father's comments about President Obama.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Ugh - It isn't racist. Bigoted, but a far cry from racism sorry. I have already expanded my points on this in two other threads concerning the highly misused word that has now no meaning and lessens those that are truly racist (like I don't know....Hitler) into being someone that just says something bigoted, racially prejudicial, and ignorant.

I don't like Harry Reid's politics, but I will say that the remark said isn't racist.

Edit-....oh hi ya Ziggy

[edit on 11-1-2010 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Ugh - It isn't racist. Bigoted, but a far cry from racism sorry. I have already expanded my points on this in two other threads concerning the highly misused word that has now no meaning and lessens those that are truly racist (like I don't know....Hitler) into being someone that just says something bigoted, racially prejudicial, and ignorant.

I don't like Harry Reid's politics, but I will say that the remark said isn't racist.

Edit-....oh hi ya Ziggy

[edit on 11-1-2010 by ownbestenemy]

Hi Ownbestenemy,

Good to see you. Good response.

I agree it was ignorant to say it, not racist, could be bigoted, but I's hard to say. I think anyone that is racist, should be taken to task if they spout it. I don't care what people think. It's their right to think whatever comes to mind.

Doing it is another story.

Thank you

Ziggy

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I highly doubt Harry Reid believes that because of his race, he is superior to President Obama....that is a racist.

Sometimes though and I see it a lot of people of younger age, is the inability to understand where and when a lot of these people, who are in their 50-60-70s grew up.

For them, the culture was such. Vernacular and dialect were part of that culture. It doesn't excuse such things, but allows us to understand why such words would come out. Watch Gran Tarino, probably the most perfect example of a bigot, but also why he garners bigoted thoughts.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Just as racist as Trent Lott's comments that forced him from the leadership position.

But as usual, the Democrat gets a pass.

Reid's political career is over anyway, as he will be defeated in a landslide in his 2010 re-election bid.

Hi Carseller4,

Thanks for posting.

Nobody gets a pass, least not from me. He was stupid to say it, and suspect of being bigoted, not racist.

As many have pointed out, a Racist believes his race is superior. A bigot is an ignoramus that makes assumptions, and prejudges people.

There are more bigots than racists, both are wrong, but there is a difference.

If he loses it will have nothing to do with this.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Sounds like Liz is deflecting talk from all the crapola Dad's been spouting as of late....The Cheney's are nuts.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Signals]

Hi Signals, Thanks for posting.

I agree. It's pretty transparent. Liz wants to follow Dad's footsteps. Pretty bizarre.

Lott, Thurman = Reid, Obama hardly. But I don't have illusions about consistency from the right.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
For those of us who aren't American and who don't watch American talk shows, would someone explain Cheyney's daughter's relevance in US politics, please ?

Also, could the allged 'racist' remarks be posted, so we can see what the alleged 'racist' actually said ?

thanks

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Too many people are currently applying the wrong use of "Racism" to define remarks made by elected officials.

The KKK is allowed to utter all kinds of bigotted and prejudicial remarks. They can even print the crap they believe, but they are not racist just because of what they say or print. However; the moment they hang a black man and set his body on fire just because he was black would be a murder that a was also an act of racism. Crime and Race equal racism.

Begin bigoted, discriminatory or prejuditial as ignorant as it may be is protected speech. Or at least is was the last time I checked. The magic line that has to be crossed in order to be called a racist is when someone who may be bigotted or discriminatory uses their prejudice against any race and acts on that race basis and commits a crime against someone because of race. No matter the type of crime, any crime against someone because of race is being racist.

The last thing mucking this whole subject matter of Senator Reid being a so called racist is that I will admit that no employee of some corporation or elected leader has a right to express his bigotted ideologies and discriminatory remarks and expect to get paid for it. In fact I would then give the corporation board or in this case, Senator Reids constituents the ability to decide if they want to pay someone who openly remarks about racial indifferences in such an insensitive disregard. While his remarks up to this point have been insensitive and out of date with society, Senator Reid did not commit an act of racism because no crime has been commited.

If we have moved into the arena of calling someone a racist to imply he does not like black people then just remember that an employee or elected representative is resposible to who pays him or elects him.

Citizens can say what they want whether you like what is being said or not. They arent on anyones payroll and as such unless you are a talk show host who one day says something rude and crude the average citizen does not have to answer to the will of what the media think is racist because so far the media has proven that they cant be trusted to be factual or truthful.

What we are seeing in this Senator Reid circus is just an excuse to continue to undermine our language and the definition of what words really mean. More proof of the dumbing down of society and manipulation of the talk show hosts serving the public airwaves to achieve that dumbing down affect where saying you dont like someone or some racial quirk as being racist.

Lastly I would say that we currently live in a society where not understanding another culture and remarking in insensitive ways can get you branded a racist. Combine the lack of informed public and you have the ingredients necessary to restrict speech by not only citizens but by those in the corporate culture as well. We need to get back to what is real and until we do this Senator Reid circus is just that, a circus with too many clowns in the act.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

M - If we have moved into the arena of calling someone a racist to imply he does not like black people then just remember that an employee or elected representative is resposible to who pays him or elects him.

Z - Not liking Black people just make you a bigot.

M - Citizens can say what they want (snip)

Z - Yes but you wear the badge you earn for being a bigot or some other kind of antisocial person.

M - Race+Crime = Racism

Z - No Einstein, thinking your race is superior makes you a racist, your equation just makes you ignorant, and a racist.

Ziggy Strange

top topics

join