It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APNewsBreak: Increase in suicide rate of vets

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

APNewsBreak: Increase in suicide rate of vets

hosted.ap.org

By KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The suicide rate among 18- to 29-year-old men who've left the military has gone up significantly, the government said Monday.

The rate for these veterans went up 26 percent from 2005 to 2007, according to preliminary data from the Veterans Affairs Department. It's assumed that most of the veterans in this age group served in Iraq or Afghanistan.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 11/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Twenty six percent of U.S. Veterans between 18 and 19 committing suicide is a staggering and very troubling number. That is over 1 in 4 young men and women who have served taking their own lives by their own hands.
That’s actually significantly higher than the casualty rate inflicted on them by enemy combatants.

This situation has been brewing for months and actually years with most of the public and U.S. Military playing it down.

At what point do we ask ourselves and come to terms that perhaps the nature of these wars where most of the people killed are not combatants but civilians caught in the crossfire and mistaken identity is just to much for especially still young and developing minds to handle?

The adult human does not reach emotional maturity to 26 years of age on average when their frontal lobes in the brain finally finishing developing.

Are we asking our young men and women to internalize heinous acts that no one should ever have to see and doing it in a way where ultimately they feel responsible for them?

Responsible to the point that they are taking their own lives, while we make excuses for that and dismiss this rising tide via various forms of denial because the truth is simply to inconvenient.

At what point to we stop worrying about everyone and everything else in the world and start worrying about our own and doing something about it?

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The military in recent years has struggled as well with an increase in suicides, with the Army seeing a record number last year. While the military frequently releases such data, it has been more difficult to track suicide information on veterans once they've left active duty.

Proponents of the War on Terror have been continually dismissive of these reports and facts over the years claiming that people such as my self only broadcast them as a means to justify an anti-war stance.

While it’s true that I believe the War on Terror diminishes us all and serves no higher purpose or greater good the plain reality is that the high suicide rate amongst the troops that fight it and the veterans from it is indicative of that.

If the very people involved on the ground of it are rebelling against it to the point that their own lives are no longer worth living to them, what is in fact that saying?

The Militaries recruiting standards and qualification tests are the highest they have ever been in U.S. Military History. Are we really going to pretend that 1 in 4 people getting into the military and fighting in the War on Terror was a suicidal depression case to start out?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I flagged this thread about 3hrs ago and ARE YOU SERIOUS no responses?

This is a MASSIVE number of suicides, troops are both dying in the line of fire and after escaping that fire.

If the people with first-hand experience in this war cannot live with the guilt how can you?

Oh but you say this has always been, even during the vietnam war there were sucides. YES during all illegal and immoral wars there are a huge number of suicides.

Not everyone can convert to the dark side

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Sadly yes my friend, this is a third similar thread I have created regarding these developments in the last year, and none of them have ever recieved any attention.

It seems like if it's something cheering the troops on it gets attention.

If it's something knocking and criticizing the troops it gets attention.

But ironically if it has something to do with genuine concern just for the troops no one really seems to care.

Over 1 in 4 and possibly more young adults fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq are in fact so traumatized by what they see and do over there that they are killing themselves afterwards.

That's a truly frightening and alarming statistic and no one government or public seems to really care.

The world sure is a strange place. Thanks for taking a humane interest.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Bang on the money, shattered illusions. They get to see what it's all about and can't handle it, I feel so sorry for those poor souls. Yet what help do they get, obviously not enough. Because the government does not care, they were expendable resources when they went and they are when they come home. A brutal and simple fact as that sadly.

If they do survive these individuals find it very hard to have a normal life ever again. And for what exactly? Oh yeah the war on terror. Don't make me laugh, it makes me sick to my stomach

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Wars like the ones being fought today are hard on soldiers minds.

They are not your normal , We wear green uniforms, you wear black.

They are fought in cities , towns and homes. The people doing the fighting are

not always men, or very old . A soldier wanting to do his duty may have

had to kill men ,women even young children. That has to play on the mind.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Twenty six percent of U.S. Veterans between 18 and 19 committing suicide is a staggering and very troubling number.

This statement you made is not correct with the reference article that you quoted in your opening post. The article says

The suicide rate among 18- to 29-year-old men who've left the military has gone up significantly, the government said Monday.

The rate for these veterans went up 26 percent from 20ap05 to 2007,

That is an increse of twenty six percent, not twenty six percent.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Wars like the ones being fought today are hard on soldiers minds.

They are not your normal , We wear green uniforms, you wear black.

They are fought in cities , towns and homes. The people doing the fighting are

not always men, or very old . A soldier wanting to do his duty may have

had to kill men ,women even young children. That has to play on the mind.

That's always been a part of war Sean and it has always played on Soldiers minds but the difference is this time around the majority of people are not really combatants.

For example when the Allied troops liberated France of the Nazis sure some people were accidently killed in the fight, there is always collateral damage in war.

But...and this is the big BUT, the French people were happy to be liberated, happy to have the Nazis gone, and happy for the food and medicine and the promise that life would return back to normal fairly quickly and that their own independence would be restored in short order which it was.

This is not the case in Afghanistan and Iraq, large segments don't want the troops there, and don't support the governments that are mostly made of democratically elected but U.S. approved cantidates.

So the fighting never really stops and neither does the collateral damage and more civilians continue to die each day as a result of our presence there.

It's not always us that kills them, sometimes it's their fellow Iraqis and Afghanis but the underlying truth is if our troops weren't there for them to get caught in that crossfire then there would be no crossfire.

The numbers of civilians dying in these wars is much higher than the number of combatants on both sides, so there is just a whole lot, whole lot more for a soldier to lament in these wars than most.

These really are wars of Islamic Attrition, while we don't state it and come right out and say it or admitt it, it is about Islamic depopulation.

The Media here can get around that in what it shows the people here, for the troops on the ground living it up close and personal its a lot harder to hide the ugly truth.

A truth that is driving an incredible number of them to later kill themselves.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I was thinking.....suicide rate amomg vets? What can be the reason for animal docters to kill themselves ?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Twenty six percent of U.S. Veterans between 18 and 19 committing suicide is a staggering and very troubling number.

This statement you made is not correct with the reference article that you quoted in your opening post. The article says

The suicide rate among 18- to 29-year-old men who've left the military has gone up significantly, the government said Monday.

The rate for these veterans went up 26 percent from 20ap05 to 2007,

That is an increse of twenty six percent, not twenty six percent.

Maybe, maybe not, since in reality they aren't stating what the number was that went up 26%!

It could actually be higher than 1 out of 4!

Could be lower, but could be higher, no matter how you slice it, our troops are committing suicide at an alarming rate that is increasing.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I've said before ... here at army base there are about 2 per month, usually they take family member with them. More soldiers die suicide than combat. It is a huge problem.

The saddest thing I've seen is graduations and welcome home parties where no one shows up

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara

I was thinking.....suicide rate amomg vets? What can be the reason for animal docters to kill themselves ?

There beloved sheep runs off with a Ram, or threatens to tell someone just what goes on after hours?

Horse tranquilizer overdoses? Or fear that their hoof and mouth disease is getting worse?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
If I put on my biggest conspiracy hat than the worst possible cause will be some stuff in the air or in the food that make these kids kill themselves. One thing is for sure.....this is not normal.

There must be some abnormal reason for this tragedy. What about other nations soldiers? How about the canadian, english or whatever countries are stationed upthere?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by zatara]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Maybe, maybe not, since in reality they aren't stating what the number was that went up 26%!

They are not giving you exact figures but they are giveing you enough to work with in the material that you quoted in this thread.

He noted that of the 30,000 suicides each year in America, about 20 percent are committed by veterans.
ap

So its 30,000 a year in the U.S. twenty percent are veterans. From there you can do how ever much math you want to.

Edit to correct figure.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by RedGolem]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Most of them are either lucky or smart, as the majority of them are really from the Coalition of the Blackmailed and Bribed, and given the relatively peaceful areas to patrol and camp their bases in.

Since their Governments were bribed by the U.S. to send a token contigency of troops to make up a Coalition of the Blackmailed and the Bribed they are flush with cash to then bribe the Taliban and Iraqi insurgents not to attack them.

We won't attack you, you won't attack us, here's some lunch money, see you on payday.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

They are not giving you exact figures but they are giveing you enough to work with in the material that you quoted in this thread.

He noted that of the 30,000 suicides each year in America, about 20 percent are committed by veterans.
ap

so its 300,000 a year in the U.S. twenty percent are veterans. From there you can do how ever much math you want to.

I would love too, sadly the government kicked me out of school in the 7th grade, I did recently learn that 2 plus 2 equals 3!

But let me try the math here real quick, 3,000,000,000, divided by 2,000,000 divided by 30,000 times X minus Y squared to the second power, minus Z equals 3!

Wow what a relief only three soldiers have actually killed themselves!

Hey if you need some tax help this year I am available!

[edit on 11/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'd kill myself too after signing up with an organization that has to kill afghan children just to make it look like they're doing SOMETHING over there....

cant say they dont have a conscience, well not the ones that committed suicide anyway...

and the percentage is not 26%, it's UP 26% which I'm sure is not 1 in 4 soldiers!
come on now!

not an anti-military post, just callin it as i see it.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by liquidsmoke206]

[edit on 11-1-2010 by liquidsmoke206]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

OK since I am the one who sent up the flag to get your figures right I will do the math.
twenty percent of 30,000 is 6,000.
If the figure of 26 percent increase continues from 2008 to 2010 that number will go up to 7,560.
It should be noted that this reflects all veterans, not just those who served in the gulf wars.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

So people keep telling me, trying to do the math I am coming up with a figure of around 4 percent of the troops involved killing themselves.

Which would be about one out of 25 though it could be higher because there isn't much of a real basis of actual suicide numbers over any length of time versus actual numbers of them deployed, versus the actual overall numbers deployed.

Clearly though it's a problem, thanks for posting.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join