It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 7 in 10 Afghans support US forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Poll: 7 in 10 Afghans support US forces

news.yahoo.com

KABUL – Nearly seven in 10 Afghans support the presence of U.S. forces in their country, and 61 percent favor the military buildup of 37,000 U.S. and NATO reinforcements now deploying, according to a poll released Monday.

Support for U.S. and NATO forces, however, drops sharply in the south and east where the fighting is the most intense, the poll said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yeah, but, only in the North and West. I don't trust Polls usually, and this one is no different, but, the fact that they'll spew these numbers out, appeases (or, tries to) the Anti-war crowds....somewhat, I think. Well, I see it as the goal.

Do YOU believe the poll #'s? Do YOU think polls like this serve the truth or the image being presented?

Cuhail

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I believe the poll numbers. Until I see otherwise I tend to believe the simplest theory and that that the poll numbers are on the up and up and accurately reflect the will of the Afghan people.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
These poll numbers are not accurate.

If 7 in 10 people supported the USA, the Taliban / extremists would have no place to hide.

But aha, they do have places to hide, a lot of them.

So...is this a case of fake poll.

Or a case of people answering the poll nicely so they don't get merc'd?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So far, it's 2 out of 3 on ATS that the poll is disingenuous.

@ Funsized- Why do you think the poll is accurate? Do you just allow the MSM to possibly drop in your lap "The truth"? Or, do you have insights into it's authenticness? (Not a slight, I'm really curious how you stand on it.)

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Obvious fake poll is obvious.
A poll from a mainstream media source saying 7 out of 10 Afghans support the U.S. when it's one of the most dangerous places on Earth.
Also take into account we invaded their bloody country.

I'd look for information elsewhere if I were you.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
didn't you see the disclaimer??

"This poll brought to you by Halliburton"

Dead giveaway! lol

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
You could easily find 7 out of 10 people who support the US government and the direction our country is headed. That doesn't mean it's the truth.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

If you hold them at gun point.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Wait.

What if the poll is actually true?

And they simply asked a few dozen super wealthy "Afghan" bankers, industrialists, and drug warlords this poll question.

And 7 out of 10 said Yeah its cool.

The catch is, they just did not clarify exactly "who" these "Afghans" whom were polled actually were in context of everything.

A lie wrapped in the truth!

Or a truth wrapped in a lie!

Either way, that's my theory

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I just posted this in the other thread -

This is hard to believe....unless the poppy farmers are happy with US/UK troops guarding their crops....I could see that angle.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Frankly, I don't buy it. Wish it was true, but just too many negative things going on.

Afghanistan Military. Totally unprepared to take over despite 8/9 years we have spent training them.

The report, intended for military commanders and not for public distribution, concludes that Afghanistan's National Army is rife with corruption and incompetence, and that it will take far more than a year to rehabilitate the country's security forces.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Government corruption. Speaks for itself.

Reporting from Kabul, Afghanistan - Afghans have a name for the huge, gaudy mansions that have sprung up in Kabul's wealthy Sherpur neighborhood since 2001. They call them "poppy palaces."

The cost of building one of these homes, which are adorned with sweeping terraces and ornate columns, can run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Many are owned by government officials whose formal salaries are a few hundred dollars a month.

www.latimes.com...

Taliban regaining ground. US military can't secure the area by itself. Needs help from Afghan army and police as well as other NATO forces.

Afghan officials cut the police force here by a third two years ago and again earlier this year. Security was left to a few thousand German peacekeepers. Only one Afghan logistics battalion was stationed here.

But over the last two years the Taliban have steadily staged a resurgence in Kunduz, where they now threaten a vital NATO supply line and employ more sophisticated tactics. In November, residents listened to air raids by NATO forces for five consecutive nights, the first heavy fighting since the Taliban were overthrown eight years ago.

www.starbulletin.com...

Propaganda war. When Taliban hurt civilians, it is viewed as no big deal. When US hurt civilians, it makes headlines.

As well as internet sites, the Taleban produce magazines, dozens of DVDs of attacks and hundreds of different Taleban song cassettes — mournful chants promoting Taleban heroes and martyrs. There are even downloadable Taleban mobile phone ringtones. On the ground in southern Afghanistan, Taleban fighters leave “night letters” in villages and wandering preachers propagate the Taleban message.

So successful have the militants become at propaganda that many analysts doubt that the group could have achieved the transformation alone.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Reality is that no matter how much the US military tries to help Afghanistan, it will all go unnoticed and/or overshadowed by the problems highlighted above.

Unfortunately, the troops, rather than policy, will continue to get the blame.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I saw a report with Christiane Amanpour , who sat down with Tribal leaders and towns and there children where education for both boys and girls was prominent , and it seemed very genuine they agreed with our invasion only if the talbain was an extremely oppressive regime. I think what you have is , Radical Islam, Does not like us there. Normal Muslim, sees us as the lesser of two evils, I will try and find the report , but it was pretty revealing

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail

So far, it's 2 out of 3 on ATS that the poll is disingenuous.

@ Funsized- Why do you think the poll is accurate? Do you just allow the MSM to possibly drop in your lap "The truth"? Or, do you have insights into it's authenticness? (Not a slight, I'm really curious how you stand on it.)

Cuhail

The normal response to polls here on ATS - unless people agree with the results - is that "they didn't poll me". There are a lot of anti-war people on the left here posting, so that will skew your own ATS "poll" results.

I would hope the results are accurate, because it could mean progress is being made which would lead to getting out faster.

new topics

top topics

join