It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wildlife watch, strange behaviour in our wildlife.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Our government and militaries worldwide are using a wider array of radars, sonars and other devices that mess around with the electro-magnetic spectrum. Add to that the absolute ubiquitousness of cell phone towers and I think we've created an environment that is making navigation difficult for many animals. Things like HAARP may also play a role in this, who knows?
They roll out new technologies and saturate the planet before they even bother to test what the effects may be on animal life (inlcuding human).
It has long been my contention that our technology is advancing at a faster rate than our ethics or morality. This is a recipe for disaster and a legacy that will leave our world much the poorer.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but here's a related YouTube I came across some time back...who doesn't love a good video?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
My dogs have been going absolutely bananas for about 3 days.

I have not noticed any shift in bird activity in my area of New Mexico.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
For anyone following my saga with my missing feeder birds, they are back !

They look fine, are eating from the feeders and boy are they eating.

That was nearly 3 days since I saw a bird of any kind in my garden or street.

Respects

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
That's great to hear Captiva!

I read your other thread yesterday where you mentioned the dead cat. It may have been the presence of the cat or several cats that had cused the birds to seek food elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
As for those who have noticed that the birds are no longer coming to their feeders; I has a similar event some years ago. For several days my usual "customers" didn't show up. The answer came some few days later after talking to a neighbor - they decided to put up a feeder of their own. Obviously they were putting out something that the birds preffered to what I was feeding them. Don't worry too much about nature in this way; animals have an amazing capacity for regeneration and survival. If any species is going to go extinct it will be us humans.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
An update on all of this, at least in my neck of the woods...

In an earlier post, I mentioned how none of the feeder birds in Oregon migrated south this winter, even though it has been the coldest winter we have had on record.

Well, apparently the Pelicans didn't migrate to California either. Matter of fact, not only did the Oregonian Pelicans stay in Oregon, but those already in California migrated NORTH to Oregon for the winter!

It is believed that they did so for the same reason the Californian Sea Lions left San Francisco to migrate north to Oregon. The bumper crop of sardines convinced the Pelicans to stay (and Pelicans in California to migrate North to Oregon for the winter). However, now they are facing mass death as the sardines and other fish have migrated to deeper, warmer waters far from the coastline.

Starving California pelicans wash up on Southern Oregon shore

California brown pelicans stranded along the Oregon coast are starving by the hundreds and begging for food instead of migrating south in a rare and somewhat macabre phenomenon.

Dead birds in full mating plumage have washed onto shore, and the normally skittish pelicans have been begging for food from people in places such as the Brookings area, now home to several hundred pelicans, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

"That's a behavior we've never seen before in Oregon," says Roy Lowe, manager of the Oregon Coast National Wildlife Refuge Complex based in Newport. "They're in sad shape."

Typically, the birds migrate south in November toward breeding grounds in Southern California, and no one knows why these birds have stayed, Lowe says.

One theory is that high concentrations of bait fish off the Oregon coast enticed them to remain well into December, Lowe says. When currents pushed the bait fish toward deeper water, it left the pelicans foodless and too weak to forage themselves, he says.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join