It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infectious diseases mutating at alarming rate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

That's silly........there are real and necessary situations in which antibiotics should be given. To take your extreme view of things is childish and irrresponsible. Antibiotics are given during pregnancy, during surgeries etc. They aren't just given for infections but to prevent life threatening infections in emergency situations.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by fraterormus

If indeed true that is a pretty frightening scenario friend.

Will medical science find a way to over come it or are we facing a future of midevel black plaques again?

Thankfully the entire medical community is not oblivious to this happening. There are entire countries where Antibiotics are not used except for as a last possible resort. It has been found that certain diseases are non-existent in these countries, such as Staph infections, because of this. Even in the United States doctors are becoming increasingly more aware and consider alternatives before prescribing Antibiotics, even though they still use prescribe them more than any other nation.

Alas, it is unfortunate, but before such becomes S.O.P. it would take an epidemic caused by the widespread use of Antibiotics before the A.M.A. and C.D.C. were to restrict the use of Antibiotics in the United States, being that the Pharmaceutical companies have too much sway over policy, and it is in their better financial interests for doctors to continue prescribing Antibiotics for everything. As such, you we are guaranteed to see at least one major epidemic occur before current practices are completely changed across the entire industry.

However, ultimately if people themselves take matters into their own hands and start refusing Antibiotics for everything but a last resort, then perhaps it is not too late. If it takes 2 weeks to get over a Bronchial infection, and 2 weeks to get over a Bronchial infection with the use of Antibiotics, then really why would the patient want the Antibiotics to begin with? Most people blindly do what their doctor tells them is in their better interest. When my doctor tells me he is going to prescribe an Antibiotic I routinely ask him what would happen if I didn't take the Antibiotic, or what my alternatives would be. I'm genuinely surprised to find that there is either little or no difference between getting over something naturally compared to taking the Antibiotic. In the worst cases, it is a day or two difference.

Granted, I don't have an immune deficiency or compromised immune system, so being healthy I am assuming no risk in not taking them, but there are some people for which such would be too great a risk to assume. It is one thing to get all idealistic and say that people shouldn't use Antibiotics when you are healthy, but it is another when you realize that for some people there is no viable alternative. If my daughter had a disease for which Antibiotics were her only chance at life, I personally don't think that I have the moral fortitude to stand by my ideals and let her face the risk of death, ensuring the safety of the the masses in the long term, rather than tell my doctor "whatever it takes, make her better" even if I know that doing such could make matters worse in the long run, not just for her but for everyone.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by fraterormus]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

You are right but look at this thread. No one would ever want to see their 70 or 80 year old nanny die from a simple thrush infection or bout of PNA. Trust me when an elderly person is sick in the hospital we throw just about everything we can at them as far as antibiotics. And many for pretty mundane infections. Many of us sit here and complain about how things are but when our loved ones are in a similar position how would we react?

I think it's older people who are using up all the antibiotics that is the problem. We spend SO MUCH money fighting disease and infections in older people who end up dying anyways from other complications. It's a very bumpy ethical road we are on right now in healthcare.

You are absolutely right.

Prior to the Varricella Vaccination only 16 people died on average every year from Chicken Pox in the United States, almost every single one of them over the age of 65. To save those 16 people per annum who were already at the end of their life, we made it mandatory that all children be vaccinated from Varricella. Now, over 165 children per annum die from complications caused by the Varricella Vaccination. I find it difficult to conceive how the lives of 16 elderly people outweigh the lives of 165 children, but that is how the C.D.C. conducts their math when making policy.

I do know that I would be willing to compromise my own ideals for the welfare of my child. If my daughter was the one in the hospital I would be asking for every route to be taken, not restricting it to just alternatives that didn't include the use of Antibiotics. However, if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't want her to ask the doctor to use Antibiotics for me, even if it were the last recourse.

In my mind the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few when it comes to medicine, even if I'm the one who is most at risk, however I cannot make that decision when someone else is at risk. Certainly, the needs of the young outweigh the needs of the elderly when it comes to medicine in my mind as well, although at least in the United States, our medicine considers the opposite to be true. However, the reason why that happens to be true is because those who make the policies and make the laws are protecting their own better interests, being towards the end of their own lives, rather than considering how their decisions may affect the many being the generations that come after them.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by fraterormus]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

It makes you wonder perhaps how much of this Swine Flu scare was used simply to ramp up policies and procedures on how to deal with widescale epidemics of infectuous diseases that they fear will soon be coming down the pike?

Thanks for posting all the great info.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Well if she wants to stay within the allopathic care, talk to her doctor about switching her to antifungals, and ask about bio-k. That's a type of probiotic that hospitals are becoming aware of. If she's got thrush, that's fungus related I think. In that case, antibiotics aren't going to do anything except weaken her more.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

yes, thrush is a fungal infection (candida aka yeast). I assume that the doctors have tried/are trying anti-fungals. I just learned a couple weeks ago though that there has been a big increase in diflucan-resistant yeast infections.

Since we didn't learn our lesson with antibiotic abuse, now we're getting more and more drug-resistant viruses and fungi as well

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I had read that the increase in antibiotic-resistant TB actually started in big cities like New York rather than the third world. The same goes for MRSA.
Terribly sorry to hear about your mother's condition. Our hopes and prayers are with you. Best wishes to you and your family.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ive researched about antibiotics and viruses and bacteriums over the years, on and off. What ive learned is, antibitoics SHOULD only e used sparingly* its not yet understood ia sense, but viruses more than bacteria, WILL eventually quickly, outsmart the antibitoic/mutate. Doctros seems ot give out antibitotics almsot like a placebo or ibuprofen. And thats not counting the antibitoics that are flushed down the toilet into the eco system..that too, to me, can also effect virus mutations* Its just how mother earth, really made things. one little thing can affect everything around it drastically*

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by marg6043

Sorry to hear about your elderly mother, have you research on natural cures to see if that can be used along with the medical care to see if can help?

Sometimes certain toxins in the body (mostly cause by prescription drugs) can cause an adverse reaction in the body rather than help cure or treat but doctors will never let you know and will keep treatment regardless.

I believe in natural cures and also that the body will correct most things on its own given proper rest, diet and time, and that a lot of what modern medicine does is interfere with that process in a way that just worsens and prolongs as well as creates other medical problems.

Most people place their trust in that system though and getting them to switch horses in my own experience is no easy task!

I keep trying though.

Thanks.

I'm with you! I never rely on medication when I'm sick, I trust my body and nature to take it's course. I just don't trust doctors, especially GP's. My mum's GP diagnosed her with IBS to find out a year later she actually had bowel cancer. Luckily it was caught in time and she had a succesfull operation. My dad lived to be nearly 80; he was still working full time, was in general good health and still had a full head of thick (though grey!) hair, and he never took a day of perscribed medication in his life. Unfortunately he died suddenly from an Abdominal Aortic rupture, but he never ever went to the doctors apart from his yearly medical so it was never picked up. At least he died at a good age of natural causes.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Thanks my friend, sounds like a lot of great and worthwhile advice to check out and into.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share it. Hopefully it leads to something good.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
This is such a huge and frightening issue. It's bad enough in places (like the U.S.) where things like antibiotics are so freely prescribed even for conditions they're not effective in. You brought up another point that I've been pondering lately -- what's the effect of over-the-counter sales in other countries.

On the one hand, people in such places often have very little access to regular health care, and being able to treat something like a bacterial diarrhea by just consulting with the local pharmacist is life-saving. But on the other, less oversight seems likely to lead to more antibiotic (and other medication) abuse -- not taking the full course, for instance, or just getting the wrong (or unnecessary) medication.

edit to add: not to mention, as you point out, lower-quality medication to begin with

[edit on 1/11/2010 by americandingbat]

Anti-biotics are definately over used often for things they won't even work on like a common cold.

I think the quality of medication sent to the third world has to be looked at though. Often that is where expired drugs and diluded drugs and counterfit drugs end up.

Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join