It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nose Breathing Has Many Benefits Over Mouth Respiration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Some interesting info I found on nose vs mouth breathing.

Ive had a blocked nose for several days because of this nasty cold (man flu) and Ive been feeling rather thick headed and worn out, then I wondered if that was partly to do with the fact Ive only been breathing through my mouth lately?

Breathing through the nose has many benefits. Breathing through the mouth, many negatives. There are some researchers who believe that mouth breathing and associated hyperventilation causes or exacerbates asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, and many other medical problems. Always better whenever possible (deviated septum and small nostrils may make it impractical but still nose breathing 24 hours a day is extremely important for those who desire the longest and most healthy life.

Breathing.com

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Very interesting article. Especially considering i've always been told to breathe in thru the nose and out thru the mouth to regulate breathing and heartbeat during/after strenuous activity. Definately something to look into.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thanks for the link. I grew up with allergies to almost all environmental factors, causing asthma when younger. I also have a deviated septum. Kind of a one/two punch when it comes to breathing through the nose.

I can say numerous items on that list I see daily like the thirst and a seemingly higher body temp.

I rarely if ever get sick except for nasal infections. I always wondered if it was my higher than average body temp. My skin is always radiating lots of heat. I had a body thermal imaging done once and it did not look standard to the others that were done at the same time.

Thanks again for the post. I will look further into the laser surgery for the deviated septum. Now I just have to see how to pay for it.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemicalSubstance

Im surprised that people dont inherently know to breath out of their nose. Ive noticed since I was a young child that if I tried to breath out of my mouth alone, I would get a sore throat and feel dizzy. Look what comes out of your nose everytime you blow it, thats a collage of the things in the air that you are constantly breathing in. Thankfully, our noses help to filter the air.

Excuse me for being frank, but is there a conspiracy in this post I'm missing somehow? Is nose breathing above top secret?

Just givin' ya a hard time, thanks for the info

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Oh brother while I agree with what's being said I think people nowadays have a lot more important things to worry about when it comes to their health. Mouth breathing is hardly going to be the death of anyone when cancer is one the rise, diabetes, etc. and people are eating like crap, more stressed out, and getting less and less exercise.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Although I always knew it was important to breath in through the nose and out through the mouth, I never knew there were so many benefits, I was just adding a bit more info to the knowledge base

Thanks for the replies guys.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by ChemicalSubstance]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I too have always thought it was odd that proper breathing is not an innately born autonomic process, but rather a learned autonomic process.

I was always taught by my parents to breathe through my nose, and noticed ever since youth a social stigma that is levied on those who breathe through their mouth (i.e., ever hear the term "mouth-breather" used as a derogatory term to denote those of lower social status?).

However, as I started delving into Eastern spiritual practices, I discovered many of the benefits of nasal breath (as well as breathing in through one nostril and out the other). Even then, it still takes much effort to learn to breathe deeply at sustained intervals instead of quick shallow breaths as Westerners generally do.

Besides the health benefits noted in this article, there are mental benefits (and thus indirect physical health benefits because of them) that are not noted in this article. Breathing in and out through the nose creates a greater sense of calm, peace, and greatly reduces stress. There is a reason why we tell our children who misbehave to "take a Time Out!" or why in Lamaze we are taught to encourage our life-partners to breathe during childbirth. We have the tendency to hold our breath, or breathe erratically through our mouths when we are stressed, whereas breathing through our nose can reduce that stress.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Oh brother while I agree with what's being said I think people nowadays have a lot more important things to worry about when it comes to their health. Mouth breathing is hardly going to be the death of anyone when cancer is one the rise, diabetes, etc. and people are eating like crap, more stressed out, and getting less and less exercise.

Actually I believe that "Mouth Breathing" is both a symptom of - and a reinforcing cause - of disease in the body.

I do not believe any Human can truly reach their full potential if they do not learn the power of how to breathe properly.

Study this - put it into practice - and I think you will come to the same conclusion.

It is tied into meditation and the ability of one to exercise full control over their mind and body - a big reason it is emphasized in nearly every martial art form.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemicalSubstance

There is a reason why you have nasal hair. It filters out harmful particles that could enter the respiratory system, like influenza. So it makes more sense to breath through a filter than to breath through your filterless mouth.

Besides, mouth-breathers are just unattractive......

-Dev

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I totally agree with this article. I get panic attacks sometimes due to stress and I refuse to take the medications they try to shove down my throat. Instead I learn't to stop the attacks in their tracks by making myself breath through my nose to stop from hyperventilating.

Another important way to breath is deep in your stomach instead of your chest. It helps to expand your lungs to their full potential and ensures your body is getting the maximum ammount of oxygen possible.

I saw an interesting video recently that described breathing with your chest as "fearful" breathing. When people are stressed out or scared they tend to take shallow breaths, or breath with their chests. This is some kind of defence mechanism that is ment to keep you in a hightened awareness for a short period of time and is probaby a throwback to when humans had to use more of their instincts to survive.

Because of the constant stress of modern life, many people live in this state for extended periods of time with out even realising it, and are unknowingly taxing their bodies even when they think they are resting.

When I find the video I will post a link for anyone who is interested.

new topics

top topics

join