It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope slams gay marriage as 'attack' on creation

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The problem I see is that the bible upon which the Catholic church is based, has a ton of conflicting information. One of those items, which is a basic tenet of EVERY religion is the Golden Rule. Do unto those that which you would have them do unto you.

Basically, treat people with the same respect that you want to be treated. Then it's fire and damnation for people for eating shellfish and you can own slaves and all the other mumbo jumbo. I'm a former catholic, so I know what the ideas are, but I can't reconcile it vs my common sense, ethics, and morality.

I can disagree with someone and get along with them just fine though. I just hate when people preach and don't live by the tenets that their religion dictates.

I was a good catholic, but I'm a much better agnostic I think. I live a more moral life just based on common sense and not playing by the rules of a flawed book. I'm borderline atheist just for the fact that if there was a God that loved everyone, he wouldn't let people suffer like the way they have been suffering or he would stop people who are committing these horrible acts in His name, but still, it's silence from the holy front... Hard to follow an absentee God.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Now that's a nice way to give a response without even touching the substance of the matter.

Bless your heart!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
You know what, why is it that the General population and the Church think that they have a say in this.
I mean really whom are they to have a say on who this person or that gets to sleep with.
And agreed The church really should be looking in its own back yard before it starts throwing stones. (Biggest bunch of Paedophiles in the world all converged into one little group... why dont they get arrested)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Seeker
You know what, why is it that the General population and the Church think that they have a say in this.
I mean really whom are they to have a say on who this person or that gets to sleep with.
And agreed The church really should be looking in its own back yard before it starts throwing stones. (Biggest bunch of Paedophiles in the world all converged into one little group... why dont they get arrested)

Well, they have a say because they live on this planet too. I don't think the argument is about gays loving each other, it's about gay marriage.

I don't have a problem with giving them the same rights as anyone else. I personally think that there are better things for the church to work on than things like this. They're throwing stones in a very large glass cathedral.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

In all honesty, marriage is a religious way of expressing the union of a man and woman. This union has always been with a male and a female, as was stipulated in the religious texts in question. Two dudes can't make a baby, nor can two chicks. It's just "science" lol.

If they want to be together, that's fine, but they have to understand that as marriage and it's laws are based on religion and the fact that it is only between male and female, they cannot be "married" as such, merely "together".

Doesn't mean they can't live happily together! just means that if they want to be married, it will be outside the concept that marriage was originally created in. HArsh realities im afraid.

Who says that they need to be married to be happy anways? surely a state of mind akin to being "partners" would suffice, as it does for many people across the globe.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WARBREAD
The pope should pull the spoon from his a$$. He's a closet homosexual anyway.

No offense to gay folks, but "marriage" is a religious ceremony. If whatever religion doesn't want you married, why would you want to par-take in their ceremony? Pretty whishy-washy if you ask me.

Civil / legal unions for gay people should be allowed. They deserve the same rights as anyone else, wedding ceremony or not. The fact that they can't be married flys in the face of the constitution. Separation of church and state.

Considering the state of marriage among straights, I don't think a commited gay couple would as a group do much worse. That includes Catholics. Your certainly right that religous organizations have the right to be bigots. I never saw the attraction of being married in a church, temple, etc. that does not hide the fact they hate my guts. But I guess for some people they want a religous service. But like a corporation (which they are), any religous institution has they right to deny you service.

But there still remains certain advantages, such as inheratince, being able to speak and act for a spouse thats incapacitated. In many situations, a civil union may not give a gay spouse those rights. That has to change. For me? (and I have no intention of getting married anyway), as long as there is TOTAL EQUALITY between marriage and civil unions, thats good enough for me. I just will not hold my breath for the Catholics and right wing Christians. Don't waste your time with them.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Lately one of the things that has bothered me the most about this world is unwarranted hate. Hatred is a very powerful emotion and should be used with extreme caution. I believe it is a fatal ideological flaw common with humans to create divisiveness in the one. Who is the pope to say he knows the correct path for creation. Gays could all be part of the plan. Everything that should be is.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by grahag

I would have to respectfully disagree with the excuse that "they live on this planet so they are entitled to an opinion". It doesnt affect our planet with regards to whom people sleep with, who they love or want to get married to. So IMOO they is no right to but in and pass judgement and say this is right or this is wrong. Especially when they cant even clean up their own act when it comes to their sexuality.
When it comes to the point where it affects our lifestyles then yeah its ok to have a say. But this is peoples personal lives, and they are not harming or hurting anything so no, people do not get to be the judge and jury on this.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by The_Seeker]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
Those who disagree with same sex marriage are ignorant fools.

It's time to grow up and become civilized beings.

Way to go buddy thats away to converts over to your side call em names, rascists, or bigots, something you leftys are good at.

Just because I support marriage means I'm a leftist?

Odd.

(I'm a Libertarian btw, dear.)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
www.news.com.au...

POPE Benedict XVI has called laws ignoring the difference between the sexes an "attack'' on creation just days after Portugal moved to legalise gay marriage.

Really? Like the laws that gave women the right to own property? To vote? Etc?

This pope has no idea how to choose his words. I respect the man, but this is simple bigotry coming out of the mouth of someone who is supposed to be above everything else, not getting mired in it.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm Catholic so... Might as well dip in my opinion.

The Pope is right! BUT! He is also wrong!

Bawhaaaa?

Well it's simple, let me explain.

Gay marriage is against creation in the sense, God or no god, it goes against the fundamental purpose of life.

But the Pope has tied humans to animalistic tendencies, and forgotten that Christ forgives you if you are sinful but devout.

It is simply a fact that God would chose a Gay guy married who's faithful and loves God over a Christian who, let's say, burns crosses and hates blacks.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Aww how sweet. I hope no gay folks have to change his depends.
Of course I could say that the gay community condemns the pope for supporting child pedophiles and psychological torture but, I will be nice today.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Why are so many people questioning why the Pope is commenting on this? Has everyone forgotten that marriage is a sacrament? It's his job to comment on these issues. If the pope isnt commenting on religeous sacraments, then whats he supposed to comment on?

Just because you want gays to be allowed to get married doesn't mean that the pope isn't allowed to voice his opinion. No one is telling you that you have to abide by anything. Relax guys.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

oops

[edit on 11-1-2010 by spinalremain]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Why are so many people questioning why the Pope is commenting on this? Has everyone forgotten that marriage is a sacrament? It's his job to comment on these issues. If the pope isnt commenting on religeous sacraments, then whats he supposed to comment on?

Just because you want gays to be allowed to get married doesn't mean that the pope isn't allowed to voice his opinion. No one is telling you that you have to abide by anything. Relax guys.

The Pope get a say on nothing till he fixes up what is going on in his own back yard.
How can a Pope, whom does not punish those within his church for their wrong doings, lay down the law when it comes to this type of thing. Sorry but that is rather hypocritical!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeralMonkeyMagic
reply to post by whaaa

In all honesty, marriage is a religious way of expressing the union of a man and woman. This union has always been with a male and a female, as was stipulated in the religious texts in question. Two dudes can't make a baby, nor can two chicks. It's just "science" lol.

If they want to be together, that's fine, but they have to understand that as marriage and it's laws are based on religion and the fact that it is only between male and female, they cannot be "married" as such, merely "together".

Doesn't mean they can't live happily together! just means that if they want to be married, it will be outside the concept that marriage was originally created in. HArsh realities im afraid.

Who says that they need to be married to be happy anways? surely a state of mind akin to being "partners" would suffice, as it does for many people across the globe.

Exactly right. Marriage is a religeous sacrament. It is not merely about being together. The whole ceremony is religeous in nature. For without the religeous overtone, there's no reason to get married LOL. Thank you for posting that. I don't think people are realizing this.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Not all wedding ceramonies now days are based on religion. I know mine certainly wasnt.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Seeker

This way of thinking is even more ignorant than thousand year old church doctrine. So a priest molests a boy and now the pope is the evil antichrist. Wow.

He called it an attack on creation. The same way that you would call me chopping down a tree an attack on the forest. He didn't say that gay people deserve to rot in Hell for eternity. He is protecting creation. You know, what men and women do? I think people are being way too defensive. Just my opinion. I dont agree ewith all he says, but I respect that it's his job. Just like the president.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by spinalremain]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

No that is not what I am saying at all.
What I am saying is that he shouldnt be in the position to pass judgement on those whom want to get married when he cant even clean up the mess his church has made with regards to basic human and childrens rights.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
An attack on creation, please, can someone please tell the pope christianity is an insult to our species intelligence.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join