It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope slams gay marriage as 'attack' on creation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

POPE Benedict XVI has called laws ignoring the difference between the sexes an "attack'' on creation just days after Portugal moved to legalise gay marriage.

Creatures, including humans, "can be protected or endangered'', the pope, 82, told the Vatican diplomatic corps in a traditional January address focusing mainly on environmental issues.

"One such attack comes from laws or proposals which, in the name of fighting discrimination, strike at the biological basis of the difference between the sexes,'' he said, citing ``certain countries in Europe or North and South America''.

Portugal's parliament last Friday approved plans to legalise gay marriage, and a final vote could occur before a visit by the pope in May.

Also last week, two men became the first homosexual couple to legally marry in Latin America, in the southern Argentine province of Ushuaia.

Far be it for me to attempt to advise the Pope but perhaps il Papa should be addressing issues within his own flock before he comments on the outside world.

www.crimemagazine.com...
www.pbs.org...

[edit on 11-1-2010 by whaaa]

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Far be it for me to attempt to advise the Pope

I think you should stick it to the pope as often as you please. That guy is not a "holy man," or a special man, or gods butler on earth. He's just a regular, old, fallible guy -- no different than you or I.

He might be a little crazier than either of us, sure, but other than that.. he's just a normal guy -- pretending to be something he's not.

Criticize away, I say.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
You know what is really funny? The Catholics themselves seem to favor things such as GBLT rights. So much so that Six of the eight states where 50 percent or more of the public supports gay marriage are the states with the highest proportion of Catholics.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

perhaps il Papa should be addressing issues within his own flock before he comments on the outside world

I agree with this elegant statement

and like the OP, I would say the same regardless of whether the Pope were a garbage collector or famous scholar and am not taking shots at the Pope because of his position, or at Catholicism

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

That guy is not a "holy man," or a special man, or gods butler on earth. He's just a regular, old, fallible guy -- no different than you or I.

Agree with this remark also

although to be honest, I tend to be less generous in my estimation of the person under discussion

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
My silly brain immediately finds this humorous in a roundabout way.

If this is an issue for the Pope, perhaps he should look a bit further. In the Bible he follows so devoutly (>.>) God created man in his image. Man, not males. So God created males and females in his image. Would that make God a hermaphrodite? If so, why would different sex organs matter at all?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I guess that makes the pope a bigot.That's what I'd be called by my fellow members.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Another excellent comment on this matter

and proof that the average person has far more sense and compassion than those who presume an official capacity to lead and advise us

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I just find it strange that anyone would presume to know what is best for the planet in reguards to creation; then in turn cover up, deny, and minimalize a problem that devistated so many lives. Pedophelia

Pedophelia isn't an "attack" on creation? sheesh!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nothing surprises me coming from this evil man that was given the magical Pope hat to wear.

He was Cardinal Ratzinger before became the pope.

What was this particular cardinal in charge of before he became pope? Covering up the child abuse in the Catholic Church. He was active on every continent in this capacity, and did a damn fine job of burying the bastardisation of children by Catholic priests and others on a global scale. In doing so, I should imagine he uncovered a lot of dirt on the power players within the Catholic faith.

So THATS how he became Pope.... nothing to do with being an aspirational figure then....

He could do with being bumped off in my view - make the world a better place.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
And so the Church continues its gradual slide into obscurity.

After the Pope completed his speech, he informed his second in command that he was most displeased with the apparent lack of progress on the Death Star and that the homosexual rebellion must be squashed immediately.

He then began plans to kidnap Nancy Pelosi and destroy her home planet of San Francisco.

When is the Church going to wake up and elect a real leader instead of desperately clinging to outdated ideals? Secular marriage laws have absolutely nothing to do with Church laws, so respectfully Emperor Palpa - Er...I mean Pope Benedict, please stick to funny hats, lace robes, and pseudo-pagan rituals and leave the secular world to those who wish to live in it.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Avenginggecko]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
Nothing surprises me coming from this evil man that was given the magical Pope hat to wear.

He was Cardinal Ratzinger before became the pope.

What was this particular cardinal in charge of before he became pope? Covering up the child abuse in the Catholic Church. He was active on every continent in this capacity, and did a damn fine job of burying the bastardisation of children by Catholic priests and others on a global scale. In doing so, I should imagine he uncovered a lot of dirt on the power players within the Catholic faith.

So THATS how he became Pope.... nothing to do with being an aspirational figure then....

He could do with being bumped off in my view - make the world a better place.

Parallex.

Wow... So the guy disagrees with your views on homosexuality.

And so you think he should be "bumped off".

So what, if I am against homosexuals now I am a target to be "bumped off" too?

Is it still a hate crime if it's the homosexuals attacking a heterosexual ?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Does the Romish pope feel left out of the worlds politics that he needs to make these kinds of remarks??

He appears to be sounding like all the other extremists groups wanting to be heard in the media..

I did like the last one tho.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

No, those who are against nature should be helped to understand it better only.

And yes, it is.

oops, were you not speaking to the board in general? Apologies.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
And of course, it suits the agenda of many a cabal and individual to have this non-respected creature hold the most senior position within the Catholic church

Same cabals and individuals would .. if they could .. place Hitler in power in the West, for the same reasons

If we exercised our imaginations for a moment or two, we could visualise how much GOOD a half-decent Pope could effect right now

Imagine a genuine Man of God in the Pope's position. Imagine what he could do. Imagine the hope and optimism he could inspire. Imagine the power for good he could exert within the faithful and within world-affairs generally

Imagine we had a Pope who would stand up against the War Industry .. against War Mongers .. against Big Pharma and its evil child the Fear, Fear Industry

Imagine a Pope who would slay the Whore Media and its pernicious agenda

Imagine a Pope who pulled politicians into line and exposed their mendacity as fast as they could plot their next lie

Imagine a Pope who welcomed ALL people .. ALL seekers of spiritual sustenance, regardless of their official religions

Imagine a Pope who stood like a colossosus above the pettiness and corruption and assured people everywhere that God lives, God cares, God will provide and protect

Yes, imagine if humankind had a Pope worthy of the title 'God's Emissary on Earth'

Oh .. but if there existed a Pope like that, the foul mafia which is 'politics' worldwide would find it so much harder to perpetrate their endless insane agendas

which is probably why international politics continues to put ineffectual, corrupted little creeps in the position of 'Pope'

aided and assisted of course by the criminal cabals who now control the Vatican

People need to rise up and sack the Pope and the slugs who wax fat on the luxuries provided by their Vatican stronghold. All sitting Roman Catholic heirarchy should be tossed out onto the street and made to wear hair shirts and carry a begging bowl for the rest of their lives. Their secret bank accounts should be rifled and that vast wealth distributed amongst the poverty-stricken faithful and all those pathetic child-mothers in South America and Ireland who were forbidden by the 'Pope' to have terminations of pregnancies caused by their being raped at age ten by their fathers and uncles

The rest of the unimaginable wealth held fast by the Roman Catholic heirarchy should be spent at street level and on education, instead of sitting there in greedy strongholds and guarded by vile NON Catholic freaks in frocks

It will happen. And God will smile when it does

Then, a new Church will rise from the old, and when it does, it will be the LIVING word of God and not the farce it's been allowed to become

(I'm not Roman Catholic by the way, but I still believe in the inherent superiority of its teachings as compared to the other major religions of what we these days loosely call the West )

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Dude.... did I mention homosexuality in this context? No. So take a hike.

He helped priests get away with molesting children. Not many things are worse in my view.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Because there out dated to you does not make them outdated forevery one. I for one am Not a catholic but, I think gays are vile disgusting creatures. BUT, since my god teaches me that it is not my place to decide another mans fate, but his and his alone, I leave that to him.... And if I am wrong oh well nothing happens... If I am right well lets say that Some of you wont be around for me to say I told you so=)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

wow. You're a bit confused aren't you? I do understand.

I take it your God has nothing to do with any type of compassion, kindness, tolerance, and Christ-like ways spoken of in the Bible?

Or anything to do with basic human ability to differentiate between right and wrong?

yes, I do truly understand.

Excuse me, I feel a need to shower in bleach now.

But first, something to ponder: If you ARE wrong, do you honestly believe your God will smile on your vile ignorance and lack of human empathy? Personally, I give your God more credit than that.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by cjcord]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

How is that me thinking gays are vile creatures make me inhuman? Bleach your brain while you are in the shower as well.

If I am wrong God will not smile on me because there is no God, hence the nothing happens thing. If I am right do you think he will smile on people who have twisted his words to their liking? I have said it once and Ill say it again two queers want to get married do it, I dont care I will not be answering to God for your sins, you will not me. I can think Gays are Vile creatures, but I would not hamper, hurt, or not give them aid of any kind if they needed it... So thats the Compasion the Jesus has that I have learned.

I am also not perfect but he is.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Gays generally are NOT 'vile and disgusting', imo

It's the focus on their sexual practices which fosters such condemnation amongst the ignorant and brainwashed

My advice for anyone who believes 'gays are vile and disgusting' is to actually get to know some, at work, in the neighbourhood, etc. It might alter your views. Most probably, like me, it will cause you to wrestle with your conscience. And it will set you a personal challenge. We could all do with a few more personal challenges of conscience .. some challenges to our ingrained ignorance

I've seen 'big, red blooded heterosexuals' (that's generally how people tend to describe themselves when the issue of homosexuality arises) totally change their opinions re: homosexuality, once they develop a relationship with one or more gays. They find they actually DO like these people, despite knowing they're gay. At which point, they're forced to wrestle with their prejudices. They usually emerge as far better people for the challenge. And they're then far less likely to pass their own prejudices down to the next generation

No. I'm not gay. I'm a 'red blooded heterosexual' .. LOL. Nor do I have any close relatives who're gay

But .. I did have occasion to employ several gays some years ago, and discovered they are NO different, basically, to anyone other employee

Just as our heterosexual employees ranged the spectrum from lazy and dishonest to 'fantastic' ----- so did the gay employees

Just as our heterosexual employees stole or took many days off and evaded responsibility, etc. ---- so did the gay employees

And just as some of the heterosexual employees were a great asset to our businesses --- so were some of the gay employees

No difference, as employees or as 'people' generally

Now we have a gay couple as neighbours. They're no different to our heterosexual neighbours

My daughter works for a gay boss. He's a great boss, according to her. Sure, he looks like a good-looking man, but he's attracted to men. But isn't that HIS business ? Does it affect his performance at work ? Does it or SHOULD it affect the way colleagues regard him ?

Being gay isn't something most gays have chosen, it's simply the way they are -- in the same way some of us are smart or not, tall or short, fat or thin, predisposed to an active or sedentary lifestyle, etc.

The majority didn't choose to be heterosexual any more than gays chose to be gay. Our personal sexual preference is largely automatic, be we gay or otherwise

Time we learned to accept and stopped believing we have any right to judge

and the best way to adopt this attitude is to get to know some homosexuals and to discover that first and foremost they're people, just people

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join