It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Grid appeals for more gas as imports fail to arrive

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that UK stored gas reserves had fallen to six hours. After further briefings with National Grid, we understand the figure is actually seven days. The discrepancy resulted from a misunderstanding of how the supply data was presented. We apologise for the error

Probably the Guardian in a hurry to get some sensational news out before any one else and some dumb ass still has to use their finger to count

But you never know - it could be back peddling of the most frantic order.

Edit: I know I've stepped up my calorie and fat intake just in case the gas goes off - I hate being cold!

[edit on 11/1/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that UK stored gas reserves had fallen to six hours. After further briefings with National Grid, we understand the figure is actually seven days. The discrepancy resulted from a misunderstanding of how the supply data was presented. We apologise for the error

Probably the Guardian in a hurry to get some sensational news out before any one else and some dumb ass still has to use their finger to count

But you never know - it could be back peddling of the most frantic order.

Edit: I know I've stepped up my calorie and fat intake just in case the gas goes off - I hate being cold!

[edit on 11/1/2010 by Now_Then]

Lol, yer, but I've not known the Guardian to be sensationalist in the order of the Sun.. which this headline was.. many times on the Comments section a ping pong match ensures over the way the editorial team take great care in ensuring the headline and bylines fit the newspapers agenda.. even if it does not match the article! so this one I find bizarre, but mistakes do happen ;-) especially by the person who gave out the wrong or right figures.

Edit to add: I guess we will find out soon enough tho if there is only 6 hours reserves and with imports not arriving in the quantity we need.

[edit on 11/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

No argument there, the infrastructure is flimsy at best, my station is at base load (flat out) and we’re using our GT’s (Gas turbines, run on red diesel) on top of this output, and this is the time of the year when most stations are all available, all the outages for upgrade and refurbishment have been done during the summer, so if we’re running and producing as much as we can it says something about the current demand, my station is due to close in 2013 with a gas fired station proposed to be built on the current coal plant, but this will still not replace the MW’s produced by the large 2000MW coal station, so other plant is in the process of being built throughout the UK. While the Gas shortage is a worry no doubt about it, alternative fuel’s are still being used, my station can run on Gas, Oil, bio-fuels and Coal, so while the nation is short of gas at the moment I think we’ll be ok as home heating takes priority over electricity production.. Like you say though, time will tell if the Gov have messed up…

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Cool, thanks for the details :-) I do hope the new plants are multi-purpose, since that would make sense as a back up to the wind turbines, I understand our wind turbines produce 5% of our energy and yet are currently only producing some 0.2%.. the shortfall will need to be picked up somewhere in the system, especially when multiple issues hit at once..

Some fall over and resilience would be good.. I've managed a few DR projects and I see this gov approaching these things like a gambler walking up to a poker table.. It's almost as tho they live their lives with their fingers crossed.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Cool, thanks for the details :-) I do hope the new plants are multi-purpose, since that would make sense as a back up to the wind turbines, I understand our wind turbines produce 5% of our energy and yet are currently only producing some 0.2%.. the shortfall will need to be picked up somewhere in the system, especially when multiple issues hit at once..

Some fall over and resilience would be good.. I've managed a few DR projects and I see this gov approaching these things like a gambler walking up to a poker table.. It's almost as tho they live their lives with their fingers crossed.

Nope
most proposed stations are singular fuelled stations, i.e. Gas (CCGT) Clean Coal or Nuclear, the station I work at was built in the 60’s and has since been upgraded to burn other fuel’s, your right though it does make sense to have stations that burn multi fuel’s, but it’s not in the portfolio for another like the one I work at to be built.

Ha!
“gov approaching these things like a gambler walking up to a poker table” ya not wrong there either, that’s almost exactly what they do when it comes to buying gas supplies for electricity production too…. Oh man don’t get me started on those corrupt bunch of incompetent asses… does my head in… I just wish we could meet demands with renewable energy or like one poster put forward as a theory “free source energy but I can’t see that happening in my lifetime, in the mean time Nukes, and clean coal is the only way we can meet demand…

top topics

<< 1   >>

join