It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would it take to erase evidence of our times?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I strongly suspect that ancient civilisation 5000 years ago and prior had achieived modern levels of scientific and technological development. But something happened that erased most evidence of this civilisation. Something so cataclysmic that it wiped out almost all evidence of such a time ever existing.

What if the same happened to our times? What would it take to erase virtually all evidence of our civilisation ever existing(our buildings, our books, our machines) so that the surviving people on this planet are back to stoneage type of civilisation with only a myth about prehistoric times(our times) Do you think such an erasure is even possible?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Somthing including a pole shift that would have current land masses switched with current ocean land masses. Putting whats on land in the water and whats in the water on land. SMH why always back to stone age what for? What is accomplished by this continous set back game, as if forbidden to procede. The question should be who could cause this????????????????????????????????????

Or a simple planet change, lol

[edit on 1/11/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A glacial stage would take care of most of the signs....

Glaciers theselves would remove most of the signs, and the increase erosion due to lower sea levels would take care of anything close to a major river or coastline. Some signs would remain - it would take several thousand years to cloase up all mine shafts and other openings, and certain open pit mines would remain.

If the glaciers didn't cover the Black Hills then Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument would remain with just weathering they lifespans measure in the millions of years..

If you included some active volcanos to wipe out some cities located in arid regions, you could pretty much wipe out most evidence.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I've often thought the same.
The trouble is everytime you get even remotely close to an answer it only brings about more quesstions...

I quite often ponder, and am in the current stage of collecting and archiving a whole bunch of information. For example.
How to make crops, how to grow crops.
How to make glass, how to mkae light.
How to make energy, how to make a circuit.

I know this might sound a little much, but just think about it.
Do you really know how to mkae glass? How to make energy/light?

Well probably not. Considering our generation is fed everything on a golden platter the majority of people really don't know how to do anything, except on their computers, maybe!!! And yes, this includes me.

I figure, like many are preparing seeds, food supplies and water, someone will need to prepare information - only this time information is to be shared and passed down from generation to genertaion.

I often wonder if the cave art and similar is a basic notation of what technology that had at the time they lost it all, as like us I'm sure if they'd reached a point of amazing advances in technology (which aren't currently being used to our benefit by the way), then they too would have essentially become a dumb down time and really not know how to do anything, besides whatever their field was.

This is why I feel ALL information should be freely available to ALL. ANYONE in ANY country should have the oppurtunity to LEARN and MASTER a field of their choice.
Science and technology should be taught, but more on how we got there and they be taught how to get there themself, to be self sufficient if you please!
This is why I'm trying to be a gatherer of information in ALL fields and ARCHIVE as much of it as possible, on PAPER. For if the internet goes down, then so does information on different servers, and valuable it is.

So all I could suggest, become like myself, collect and learn information in all aspects of your life. If you don't know how to make power or light, then learn. If you don't know how to make bricks or a circuit, then learn and ask until you're comfortable with what you've been taught!

WOW, I hope those of you who read this understand to some level that information truly is the most important thing, apart from love and peace, in order for us to advance in society. I can only hope if I don't make the jump that this information will be used like the GNU project and freedom of information to ALL!!!

EDIT:
To answer the original question/s:
I do believe it is possible and I believe it has happened before.
Look at Atlantis, just ONE example.
I believe Nibiru and have since I first read about it as it rang true DEEP WITHIN and the more I find answers to this the more questions I get....it goes very deep and well...even if it isn't true, then there is still many many ways this could happen. I think in the end it will be a mixture of EVERYTHING!!!
S&F

[edit on 11/1/2010 by kingdogol]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Huh? Land an ocean doesn't switch during a pole switch, the poles reverse, yes, but that causes other problems.

Well, plastics for one are extremely durable, as are ceramics, and will last a very long time.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Huh? Land an ocean doesn't switch during a pole switch, the poles reverse, yes, but that causes other problems.

Well, plastics for one are extremely durable, as are ceramics, and will last a very long time.

cool

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
ignore this double post

[edit on 1/11/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I think this would pretty much do it-

And a higher probability than gamma ray burst, asteroid, pole shift, planet x, etc...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
I think this would pretty much do it-

LOL, love the War Games clip...hahahha, I don't think this is what will happen though my friend, though highly probable, it would render the planet unusable for at least a couple of years... therefore it would be something else if some of us were to survive!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
In our Plastic and Silicon age, all that it would take is time to erase evidence of our times. Both have a short life-span, and wouldn't take long to disappear.

Even concrete, in wet or temperate climates, doesn't last long before it breaks down to dust.

Most importantly, all it would take is one powerful solar flare, or one nuclear bomb detonated in low-orbit rather than at Ground Zero to create an EMP that would wipe out everything Digital, everything Electronic. We are seriously that precariously close to a Dark Ages.

There are some of us who have copied books by hand and placed them in jars in mountain caves in hopes that if such ever happened, a testament of our times could be found by future civilizations. There are also both private and military facilities that exist 25 stories below ground that have done the same on a larger and more futuristic scale. However, it would take a society more technologically advanced than our own to rise up to ever have a chance of discovering those storage facilities so far beneath the surface of the earth.

Besides, it takes but 3 generations for things to be forgotten and turned into myth and legend. After but 60 years without our civilization we will have become forgotten, tales of our civilization being nothing more than just parables like Atlantis, thought to be legend as the Pyramids once where when the sands of the desert covered them for 1600 years.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
They have a show on either discovery or history called life after man. It goes into this exactly and although some stuff takes a very long time most is fast.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kingdogol

How to make crops, how to grow crops.
How to make glass, how to mkae light.
How to make energy, how to make a circuit.

I know this might sound a little much, but just think about it.
Do you really know how to mkae glass? How to make energy/light?

1st Questions:
How to make crops? How to grow crops?
You would have to know the area you are in, climate and soil conditions for instance and then also observe around you what is growing. These are the basics before you can even think of cultivating the area and growing crops.

2nd Questions:
How to make glass? How to make light?
What type of glass are you trying to make, plate glass, blown glass, etc? There are different methods for different types of glass.
What type of light, Fire is quite easy to make. Lighting as in light bulbs, florescent lighting, you will need metal work and glass work and in the case of florescent lighting, gases, and of course a electrical circuit to make it work.

3rd Question:
How to make energy? How to make a circuit?
You don’t create energy, you utilize it. Which source do you want to utilize would determine what device you create to utilize it. Water, you would create a generator that would take advantage of rushing water to turn the generator, a similar process would be used for wind, and for the solar power, you would obviously create solar panels.
What kind of circuit? Do you just want to provide power for the light, if that is the case it is simple, you want to make sure your power output from your generator or solar panel would not fry your light. Once you have determined that your power would be sufficient but not be too much you would connect your bulb either in parallel ot series, depending on how you wanted the bulb to function, of course I would throw in a switch so you could turn on and off your light.

To answer your final question:
Do you really know how to make glass? How to make energy/light?
Yes I know several techniques for making glass and several ways in which to harness energy to power an electric light.

I also know how to make several different things, the reason being if a catastrophe ever does happen, I don’t want to be dependant upon others, I want to be self sufficient and maybe even help others if needed.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I have often wondered myself, that if I went back in time into a stoneage type culture, would I be able to reinvent things like light bulbs, cars, computers, motors etc? In fact the more I think about it, I think I wouldn't even be able to invent myself some clothes. In all likliness I would forget everything and have to adopt a stone-age life.

Even very basic technology such as a light bulb requires a vast array of industries to work together to build it. It requires glass, therefore you need people who can manufacture glass. It requires somebody to work the glass into a bulb. It requires somebody to mine metal(tungsten etc) and then work it to create a filament. It requires somebody to generate electricity using most likely a motor(if you want constant electricity) this in turn requires somebody to manufacture the parts of the motor which in turn requires somebody to mine the metals and then somebody to work the metals.

In other words a single individual could not even create something as basic as a light bulb from scratch, nevermind computers. Every bit of technology requires an entire system of established industries of different skill sets working together. In the event that this system collapsed, technology would be very hard to create.

In the event of a major nuclear war such a collapse could take place. Afterwards, technology would be the least of peoples concerns. The most important concern would be survival. This would mean even a highly technological civilsiation like our own would be forced into hunter-gatherer and agricultural lifestyles. The main form of education for a newborn would then not be science, but basic survival skills. If this kind of lifestyle continued for generations than it would result in the complete loss of our hi-tech civilisation. All we would have remaining of it is legends and myths.
Our devices via which we can talk to and see anybody in the world, our machines via which we can fly into space, would begin to sound like magic.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Repeat Post.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage

I also know how to make several different things, the reason being if a catastrophe ever does happen, I don’t want to be dependant upon others, I want to be self sufficient and maybe even help others if needed.

That was the point I was trying to make mate. I know there are different things you need for different purposes and different conditions for crops as well as glasses and energy.
I was merely generalising in order to try and get people thinking whether they know how it all starts and how to go about it.
Like a very basic one you suggested was fire, another would be water, do people know how to make water/collect water from various places.

you sound like you're already on the right path. AWESOME! I just hope others see the post as a generalisation rather than specifics, as there are so many things I didn't include or cover.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

Our devices via which we can talk to and see anybody in the world, our machines via which we can fly into space, would begin to sound like magic.

That's exactly right. Only if we can all try and learn as much about as many different filelds as possible we will hopefully be able to re-create some very useful technology very quickly. Like lightbulbs.

After you see the point I'm making about stoneage and the vast majority would have no real 'technology skills' it would become a question of do we want to travel down that path again or just enjoy the land and become spiritual and evolve naturally over time.
I myself believe both go hand in hand.
For example, telepathy, which I'm already experienceing quite often on different levels, like when a VERY CLOSE MATE is going to contact me, about a week before this happens I 'know'. Same as telephone calls and what people are going to say.
Therefore are we better off without such devices as the internet and letting natural telepathy take place so there are no more secrets?
Is this the natural stage/event that takes place every so often in order for us to naturally advance in natures intended way? (The cataclysm you are suggesting wipes all traces of our existence)
Is this era we're about to enter the start of spirituality on a big level and the simple life takes place, or are we going to incorporate that into space travel so we can be like that of Star Wars and Star Trek and visit new places - I
d love this.

So in the end I'm sure you can see how everytime you get an answer, be it thought or factual, you only end up with more questions.
The main one we need to focus on as a race of humans is
Who are we? Where did we come from? Where are we going? Why are we going there?

I believe there are so many unknowns and so many unimportant things, like TV shows, that I love (like the one I just finished watching the first episode of season 3 - Chuck) as do others. Now are we really ready to give it all up in order to live a very basic but content lifestyle of love, happiness, beach, crops, family?
Or do we want to incorporate all this into a future of technology, but where technology is only used to better everyones life.

Sorry for the rant, my brain is constantly thinking about all this stuff, all the time. I'm pretty sure you can see it's mostly on point, as well as how all the stuff we have (and we love) really is of no use, but then what is life for (fun, happiness, adventure, to meet other races/galaxies or just to be plain peaceful and evolve naturally)

[edit on 11/1/2010 by kingdogol]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't know how long it would take to erase all evidence, but what I find interesting is to think what people would make of the bits of our civilisation that they may find.

I'm talking archaeology here I suppose. We make conjectures all the time about what life was like in previous ages based upon fragments of evidence combined with conjecture, speculation and "logic" based upon our own experiences of the world. We put forward theories on the nature of relics such as the pyramids and stonehenge, but what theories would a future people put on our "relics" if records were lost?

I think a fantastic example would be traditional Christian places of worship. Traditionally, the main body of a church would be aligned east to west. Would this suggest a sun worshipping cult? I think so. How about the iconography of a man being killed in a horrendously torturous way; crucifixion! Pretty much every church has icons of the cross and many supplement this with Christ upon the cross. Would this indicate a religion that practices human sacrifice?

Makes me wonder how far off we might be with our accepted history based on archaeological finds.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

What if the same happened to our times? What would it take to erase virtually all evidence of our civilisation ever existing(our buildings, our books, our machines) so that the surviving people on this planet are back to stoneage type of civilisation with only a myth about prehistoric times(our times) Do you think such an erasure is even possible?

* the Earth colliding with another planet (not 100% guarantee of complete obliteration)
* the sun swallowing up the Earth (100% event, eventually)

Anything short of that will always leave traces.

Advanced civilizations don't happen when someone falls out of the trees and decides to invent nanotechnology the next day because she's tired of nuts and berries. More advanced civilizations are built on earlier civilizations, early civilizations are VERY hard on the local environment (large garbage dumps, for instance) and will reuse technology and artifacts from earlier ages (reusing older quarried stones).

Roadways and pathways are visible for thousands of years (even covered up by other things).

If an advanced civilization from the stars landed here and formed a colony some 100,000 years ago, it'd be blindingly obvious from the mining of mineral resources around the globe to terraformed areas (traces of farms (there's a change in the soils), to genetically manipulated animals and animals (huge changes in short periods of time all occurring during the same 1,000 year time frame) to full buildings or more built very durably (nobody wants a house that will collapse into dirt in 4 years... and once you have a house, even if the original inhabitant dies, other generations might want to live there.)

I did see a very BAD "science program" on how civilization would disappear in a few hundred years. The writers didn't do much research and were focusing on Dramatic Things and forgetting that our mines and garbage dumps and chemical signatures and uranium storage facilities and the like would be around for hundreds of thousands of years. The pyramids and sphynx wouldn't crumble to pieces without humans around (in fact, they might do better without the pollution from Cairo.)

If there had been an earlier advanced civilization, there'd still be traces of it (in fact, we find lots of sites where humans lived some 20,000 years ago)... and there would be traces of the civilizations leading up to it.

For instance, they've just fond paint-decorated shells made by Neanderthals that date to 40,000 years ago and they find their bone needles (biodegradeable) and other artifacts that weren't made out of stone.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I have often wondered myself, that if I went back in time into a stoneage type culture, would I be able to reinvent things like light bulbs, cars, computers, motors etc? In fact the more I think about it, I think I wouldn't even be able to invent myself some clothes. In all likliness I would forget everything and have to adopt a stone-age life.

That's sort of an "if I don't know how to do it, nobody does and therefore we go back to hunting and gathering."

People live in packs. I couldn't weave cloth to save my life, but I know people who know how to gather fur and weave it into cloth and I know people who sew. I can't make anything out of metal, but I know 2-3 blacksmiths. I can't work on cars, but my brother-in-law is one of millions who can scratch build and fabricate parts for cars. I can't garden and have no clue how to raise and slaughter a cow or chickens, but I know people who have this skill. I do know how to make paper, however, and I know about wild foods that are safe to eat (so someone else could cultivate them.) I know a little bit about smelting metal, and I know how to find and identify metal ores.

Almost everything you own was done not by a single person, but by groups working cooperatively to make paper, build houses, install plumbing, put up power sources, etc, etc.

We as individuals might be ineffective, but people as a pack have a surprising number of talents. We could recreate the things we love within a decade.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Its a question that Plato alludes to in "Timaeus"

classics.mit.edu...

Thereupon one of the priests, who was of a very great age, said: O Solon, Solon, you Hellenes are never anything but children, and there is not an old man among you. Solon in return asked him what he meant. I mean to say, he replied, that in mind you are all young; there is no old opinion handed down among you by ancient tradition, nor any science which is hoary with age. And I will tell you why. There have been, and will be again, many destructions of mankind arising out of many causes; the greatest have been brought about by the agencies of fire and water, and other lesser ones by innumerable other causes. There is a story, which even you have preserved, that once upon a time Paethon, the son of Helios, having yoked the steeds in his father's chariot, because he was not able to drive them in the path of his father, burnt up all that was upon the earth, and was himself destroyed by a thunderbolt. Now this has the form of a myth, but really signifies a declination of the bodies moving in the heavens around the earth, and a great conflagration of things upon the earth, which recurs after long intervals; at such times those who live upon the mountains and in dry and lofty places are more liable to destruction than those who dwell by rivers or on the seashore. And from this calamity the Nile, who is our never-failing saviour, delivers and preserves us. When, on the other hand, the gods purge the earth with a deluge of water, the survivors in your country are herdsmen and shepherds who dwell on the mountains, but those who, like you, live in cities are carried by the rivers into the sea. Whereas in this land, neither then nor at any other time, does the water come down from above on the fields, having always a tendency to come up from below; for which reason the traditions preserved here are the most ancient.

This work of Plato's is also the origin of the story of Atlantis. Interesting, if you have never read it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join