It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White rings around sun´s poles!?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Question
Since the sun is one giant ball of gas, what force holds its consistent shape and size? Why doesn't it expand and burn up quickly?

Asked by: J.J. True

Answer

The Sun maintains its size and shape against the outward pressure of fusion energy by the force of gravity. In other words, its own weight keeps the Sun from growing larger.

It is the stable balance of outward gas pressure vs. the inward pull of gravity that determines the size of any star.

The predominantly spherical shape of all but the smallest astronomical bodies (asteroids, for example) is due to the radially symmetric nature of the gravitational force.

Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A. Physics, Part-time Physics Instructor

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by acpowell

Sorry, I misunderstood your first statement. I always thought though that the Sun was made up from plasma?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by acpowell
reply to post by CaptGizmo

As for the white halos above and below, maybe the sun is colder at its poles like the earth.. (yeah I know silly thing to say but it is the only thing I could think of)

Well, the above is a nice idea and all, but the only reason that the earth is colder at the poles than at the equator is that the sun's rays only graze the poles (due to our 23.5 degree tilt), while the sun's rays hit the equator dead-on. Also, the parts of the earth at the equator move much faster than at the poles, which is requisite due to the current laws of physics. I hope I don't need to explain that any more detailedly, but feel free to PM me if you need more explanation of that process.

Now, on to the pictures. Initially, I was going to say something like "Yeah, it looks like the disc just slipped and revealed a greater portion of the sun.", but now I'm not so sure.

If it was just disc slippage, it makes sense, because on the same axis as the supposed slip, the white discs appear. And even the enlargement of the sun happens on that axis.

The only problem I might have with that is that none of the anomalies are on precisely the same axis. The sun seems to elongate horizontally to the right, and several degrees off the horizontal to the left. While the white discs seem to maintain horizontality, the elongation of the sun does not.

It is most definitely a puzzle.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

well, you are probably correct and so am I but I think there is also liquid iron or somthing like that in there. I am not a cosmos expert by any means.

The point I guess I was origonally trying to make is that our star is just that, a star, and by nature very unpredicable. I know we understand a lot about the star we call the sun, but we have yet to FULLY understand fusion (I might be wrong on that one totally) which is what the sun does to produce the energy we use.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epsilon5

reply to post by CaptGizmo

As for the white halos above and below, maybe the sun is colder at its poles like the earth.. (yeah I know silly thing to say but it is the only thing I could think of)

The only problem I might have with that is that none of the anomalies are on precisely the same axis. The sun seems to elongate horizontally to the right, and several degrees off the horizontal to the left. While the white discs seem to maintain horizontality, the elongation of the sun does not.

It is most definitely a puzzle.

this is a perfect example of what I was trying to make a point of, just better worded!

like I said I only have recently started keeping up with the Sun's activity and it seems like I did at an interesting time. Have there ever been "anomalies" like the rings at the poles of the sun on SOHO?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Check in with the electric universe people.

Eric Lerner's "Big Bang Never Happened"
and you will see electric currents go into the Sun at the equator.
So why not rings at the poles like the Earth has.
We and the planets and Suns are electrical objects.
Cause.
Of Atoms.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
you know I found this image while searching for other instances of these white rings

Notice the dark area's at the poles (coronal hole). Could be a result of the thing we are noticing here. Might be the before or the after.

Could also just be how the artist drew it.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by acpowell]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
First, thanks for all the replys!

Notice (LASCO IMAGES): Due to increased exposure in EIT and Lasco the scaling in real-time images will be different. This is true especially in C2 orange/clear. At a 100 second exposure, there will be saturation along the occulter in the north and south areas. This will produce little "horns" in the left and right direction from pixel bleeding.

Good eye liveandletlive, seems i overlooked that!
Since the first pic showing the rings is from 0:19 they probably changed some settings.
Still wonder why a 100 second exposure causes these rings though. You can clearly see that there is no "aura" on the "poles" of the sun in the EIT images, making "poles" appear darker:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Oh and here is the first pic showing the rings in a better resolution, you can clearly see the pixel bleeding:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

But why rings?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by euleberlin]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

you know I found this image while searching for other instances of these white rings

Notice the dark area's at the poles (coronal hole). Could be a result of the thing we are noticing here. Might be the before or the after.

Could also just be how the artist drew it.

Sure, electrical currents come from the poles and go back in
at the equator.
See the NASA video of lightning bolts forming an expanding ring.
The Sun could be pulsing out currents and making rings.
Sounds like something the Relativistic scientists of Einstein do
not want to let out, its too much like Tesla would have found.
It must be a mistake this ring thing came out.
It should be withdrawn presently.
In fact Tesla researchers think Tesla found out and kept all the
electrical universe secrets to himself to make his Tower and
aircraft and now his secrets are still locked up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join