It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the outrage from the Left?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Where is the outrage over the comments made by "Reid the racist"? 60 minutes ignored it when they were profiling the very book that revealed his statement. The MSM has virtually ignored it. Al Sharpton forgives Reid. Obama forgives Reid. No big deal.

I have been called a racist countless times in the past year just because I disagree with Obama's policies, agenda and ideologies. I have never made any inflammatory/racist statements to justify the attacks.

Trent Lott lost his leadership position for saying far less back in 2002. Obama even called for his resignation back in his Senate days. Simply because Lott praised the career of a fellow ELECTED Congressman.

The double standard has been bad since the campaigns and this revelation just makes it appear even worse. If this book was not released, Reid would not have apologized nor would we know about his comments.

Funny, the usual defenders of the hypocrisy have been very silent even on ATS. Probably waiting on marching orders from Media Matters. Where is outrage from Janeane Garofalo on this issue? Your fearless leader has been flamed by one of his own.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by jibeho]

la2

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The race issue has been further complicated by Obama being President, it can work both ways, either with people being more sensitive to what is reported as racism or in this case more of a muted responce.

It will eventually explode, and more likely than not over something that really isnt that much of an extreme case, all really depends how the MSM report it.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
They are hoping a Republican will screw up in the next day or two to play the blame game. Nothings gonna happen to him until the elections......the he's gone.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm sorry but if a republican ever used the word "negro" there would be an endless onslaught of left-wing rebuttals. Nice Double standard there Democrats.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I guess you diddnt get them memo you cant be called or label a rascist if you are a democrat.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by la2
The race issue has been further complicated by Obama being President, it can work both ways, either with people being more sensitive to what is reported as racism or in this case more of a muted responce.

It will eventually explode, and more likely than not over something that really isnt that much of an extreme case, all really depends how the MSM report it.

Race would not be an issue if Obama's defenders would stop spewing racist barbs at anyone who disagrees with our POTUS. These defenders have been attempting to make an issue out of nothing. Obama's actions speak much louder than his words and the nation has been waking up to that little fact in the recent months. Sadly, you are a racist by default if you disagree with the man. That logic does not compute.

This free pass for Reid should serve as a cold and chilling wake up call for all of those who still "believe" in "change".

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Perhaps the Democrats outrage is hiding in the same place as the Republicans outrage conderning last weeks "honest injun" remark by RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

www.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Honest Injun isn't directed at any one person. In fact, not really an insult at all. But thanks for playing the blame game. Man, any minute someone will be on here saying it is all President Bush's fault.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
A perfect example of the double-standard hypocrisy embraced by the Democrats. How anyone can lack the common sense to vote for these idiots is beyond me! Methinks the 2010 mid-terms will be a blood bath for the Democrats.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Did you read the article at all? At least one person took this as an insult. Just because you don't believe "honest injun" is an insult doesn't mean many other people DON'T take this comment as an insult. I invite you to visit my friends living on the Los Coyotes reservation and say "honest injun". Have fun with that.

Oh, come on. Quit the partisanship crap. So it's okay for Steele to insult entire peoples, but not for Reid to insult one man? You political party players really do amuse me at times, but the back and forth the dems did this, the reps did this stuff is just idiotic. Members of both parties point the finger at each other and lay claim to a higher ground. BS! Deny ignorance!! Me? I point both fingers at both the major party players for their hypocrasies. Blinders are used to keep a horses attention on one direction. It seems to work well for people, too.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by kyred]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Al Sharpton is more concerned over Clinton's comment suggesting that Obama should be serving coffee than he is over Reid's statement. I guess Sharpton still has something to gain from Reid rather than from Clinton. Sharpton followers take note. Sharpton is always looking out for Sharpton.

The Rev. Al Sharpton on Monday said he was disturbed by condescending remarks reportedly made by former President Bill Clinton about Barack Obama during the 2008 campaign.

Sharpton was referring to a passage in the new book, "Game Change," which recounts the conversation Clinton had with the late Sen. Ted Kennedy when he was trying to convince the liberal lion of the Senate to endorse his wife for president.

"A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee," Clinton told Kennedy, according to the book -- a comment that angered Kennedy, who later endorsed Obama.

Sharpton, speaking on Fox News, defended Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid over a passage in the book in which he said Obama doesn't have a "Negro dialect" unless he wants one. But the reverend would not give Clinton such a pass for his remark.

"I think that's far more disturbing because this is someone seeking to stop Mr. Obama's campaign and making a direct reference -- I don't know the context in which he said it -- but that is far more disturbing to me than even the comments that were made by Mr. Reid," Sharpton said.

www.foxnews.com... 3A+foxnews%252Fpolitics+%2528Text+-+Politics%2529

Sharpton and others should just shut up for a long while.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

are you kidding??? there are news reports all over the MSM on what he said. again, telling lies about the MSM, that are so easy to disprove.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I believe Steele apologized for that statement. That should be good enough eh?

Anyway this thread is about Reid's comments and the lack of outrage or any effort to hold him accountable for them.

It was common in the 19th century, and reflected the skepticism of white people. Indians recruited for scouting were regarded as possible renegades until they had "proven themselves" many times over. When that happened, he was an "honest injun" as opposed to-- well, the rest of em.

That phrase, now politically incorrect, was used for generations. I remember using it as a kid with no intention of disrespect for anyone. I suppose the phrase rose in popularity during the era of the popular Westerns that dominated TV and the Silver Screen. I think I picked it up from "The Lone Ranger".

forum.wordreference.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
reply to post by jibeho

are you kidding??? there are news reports all over the MSM on what he said. again, telling lies about the MSM, that are so easy to disprove.

And still no outrage?? 60 minutes didn't even get near the statement. I give the msm another day before they start faking a little outrage while trying to climb on the self-preservation bandwagon .

Let's see what the the talking heads from the left have to say about this. Maddow, Olbermann, Matthews?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
What is hysterical is another faux outrage from Republicans blaming someone else for racism.

Where was Fox Noise and you guys when Tea Baggers where holding up signs with a bone through Obama's nose?

Republicans complaining about racism is tant amount to O.J. Simpson complaining about Charlie Sheen putting a knife to his wife's throat.

All the evidence you need is right here in this thread...honest injen is not racist? HA! tell that to a native American.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Eh, not really worried about your friends...........yeah it's all dumb. However, the double standard does exist, just a fact.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
"Racism" by definition for better part if not all of the 20th Century, use to have a single definition. In the 21st Century, education has been diluted enough to ensure that the masses repeat what they hear as if its valid and accurate.

In preparing for this posting I was of course shocked when I did a Google search prior to this posting and found that the definition of racism has changed from something definitive into something that is confusing and mostly used in inappropriate manners by both the media, politicians and the public. Take a look at the link to see what I mean.

www.google.com...:racism&ei=1z9LS579JsaolAexyZSKDQ&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved =0CAcQkAE

It use to be that when anyone openly stated that they didnt like this racial group or that other racial different group that the magic marker used by law to denote bigotry and prejudice from racism was not when someone spoke ugly things about one group or the other. In America when people used their free speech to utter ignorance, it was allowed until you crossed the magic line from bigotry and prujudice into the unholy ground of "Racism".

Racism use to be reserved for "CRIMINAL" action that some bigot or prejudical/discriminationatory person or group took that involved actually doing something vs just saying something rude, crude or insensitive to some other racial group. If you stated you hated blacks or Hispanics or Asians, women, you were nothing but a bigot expressing discriminatory remarks with showed you were prejudiced towards those groups you spoke about or against. Racism was when a bigot or prejudicial individual acts on that belief and then actually does something to the person being prejudiced. This action use to be any criminal action perpertrated against another race. Only then was it defined as racism.

The KKK is allowed under freedom of speech to speak their bigoted and prejudical ideology, but the moment they hang a black man and burn his body then have gone from being bigots to committing an act of Racism because it's the crime that defines the racist, not the hate speech.

Therein lies the major difference we are facing today. I just get frustrated that so many are being manipulated into thinking something is one way when in fact its another. Thats what we have in American today and I for one enjoyed it when words were understood and used appropriately whenever engaging in disucussing racial acts and the prejudice that exists in all races for other races unlike themselves.

Oh well, times do change, but I think this misuse of the word "Racism" is being done on purpose to intentionally confuse the public or at least those that dont know the definition of racism. I will continue to use the word as I was taught. Whenever someone commits a "crime" against a group, you have racism. Ugly words and insensitive remarks do not qualify as racism.

Senator Reid may have shown the public and the media that he is insensitve and too politically correct to speak honestly and in doing so he did show signs of "good old boy bigotry" or insensitivity, but he did not commit an act of racism. As such the only thing we truly found out about Senator Reid is that he has spent too much time in elected office and does not know or understand the world outside of Washington politics. As such, what Senator thinks is "Sreet Speak" is actually outdated and insensitive at best.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
What is hysterical is another faux outrage from Republicans blaming someone else for racism.

Where was Fox Noise and you guys when Tea Baggers where holding up signs with a bone through Obama's nose?

Republicans complaining about racism is tant amount to O.J. Simpson complaining about Charlie Sheen putting a knife to his wife's throat.

All the evidence you need is right here in this thread...honest injen is not racist? HA! tell that to a native American.

Actually most of the complaining is about the flaming double standard that exists within the left. The Undeniable double standard!

As for "honest injun" no ever said that the comment was not insulting. The comment was never intended to insult. Our new era of awareness and correctness shined a new light on that phrase. It is a phrase I haven't heard in years.

If you really want to walk down the road to correctness I could hold your hand for miles telling you stories of the insults to persons with a wide variety of physical, developmental and mental disabilities that occurs on a daily basis. Especially here on ATS without even a blink.

Don't even try.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I used to call myself a democrat, independent now I guess, but yes, this was a blatant double standard. The reasons it's getting brushed under the rug? Everyone has Way more important things to worry about than this, at the moment, and we've heard it all before! We are all pretty bored of the missteps of the elite.(and that's a good thing)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Actually most of the complaining is about the flaming double standard that exists within the left. The Undeniable double standard!

So let me get this straight.

Republican racists are peeved off because Reid isn't getting the same share of people being pissed off.

Speaking of double standard, I don't remember you making a thread about the considerable racist posters during the tea bagger idiot parades.

Yet you find time to lambast a comment by a Democrat spoken off the record two years ago.

That's the text book definition of a double standard.

Thanks for playing the fake outrage of the week from the RNC.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join