It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea calls for peace talks, end to sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

North Korea calls for peace talks, end to sanctions

www.washingtonpost.com

TOKYO--As conditions for progress in stalled nuclear talks, North Korea said Monday it wants a peace treaty with the United States that formally ends the Korean War and the removal of U.N. sanctions that are squeezing its anemic economy.

"If confidence is to be built" between itself and the United States, North Korea said
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Don't get all excited....

We've been down this road countless times. It always breaks down with the same old impasse. North Korea wants to negotiate solely with the US while the US stance has always been that the other parties involved must be a part of any negotiations.

In its statement Monday, North Korea said it would not return to stalled six-party talks on nuclear disarmament unless U.N. sanctions are lifted. Parties in the talks are the United States, the two Koreas, China, Japan and Russia.

One can always hope that this will lead to some sort of peaceful settlement.

I'm not holding my breath.

www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
what is it good news day today?

or just a breath of fresh air day?

I really hope this actually happens, lik kimmy belongs in an insane asylum though.

Korea is the ONLY place on earth where I can honestly say "why can't the north be more like the south".

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm so tired of NK's nonsense and this cat and mouse game they play that the world has been forced to become accustomed to. It's crap and yet our leaders keep letting them get away with it time after time after time.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You always here them saying the same thing over and over again. But each time we bend to there demands, they do something else... There like little kids who have a bully father. No matter what happens they know nooone will attack them as long as China is around.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Don't get all excited....

We've been down this road countless times. It always breaks down with the same old impasse. North Korea wants to negotiate solely with the US while the US stance has always been that the other parties involved must be a part of any negotiations.

In its statement Monday, North Korea said it would not return to stalled six-party talks on nuclear disarmament unless U.N. sanctions are lifted. Parties in the talks are the United States, the two Koreas, China, Japan and Russia.

www.washingtonpost.com

It's likely the North is running out of food again, so they will promise to be good, the west feeds the population, Kimmie gets his caviar and it will all go to hell when the food bins are full.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
our leaders keep letting them get away with it time after time after time.

Letting them get away with what?
talking tuff?
is that illegal?

please explain what you meant
thanks

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Well for all those who still believe wrongly that China has pull in north Korea. Remember they are part of the 6 nations North Korea doesn't want in the negotiations.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ee3c836b7b2e.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I agree. You know what they say when something seems to good to be true. To me it seems like a massive back flip for NK. I really can't bring myself to believe that now.. suddenly... Kimmy wants to be a good boy, be friends and play a positive role in the international community.

IRM

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I am actually worried about Jakarta. Its just not right. Its not acceptable behaviour. The development of our countries and the plea to save them should go hand in hand. I dont know alot about politics or religion or the science behind it. I dont really 'get' Earth at all.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
somebody who i was also recently worried about was the Dalai Lama.
I just want to let people know, if anybody ever touches the Dalai Lama, the I will define that person as somebody who would find joy in slaughtering the custest most innocent baby duck. And I will let htem know this in my own way.

I am very protective of the good people of the world. Thats why most psychotics hate me.

And why most psychotics drive me insane. Even though i find them fascinating and like them.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Obama administration officials have insisted that any bilateral contacts with North Korea result in the rapid resumption of the stalled six-country negotiations.

"We are ready to talk to North Korea in the context of the six-party talks with the explicit goal of denuclearization and with a recognition that its previous commitments to denuclearize and return to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, notably those in 2005, remain valid," Bader said.

"We are not interested in indulging North Korea's dream of validation as a self-proclaimed nuclear power," he said.

www.reuters.com...

My bet is that the US and NK will have one on one meetings.NK will portray this as a victory and use it as propaganda. In the end, we are right back to square one.

Would be nice if both sides could reach an agreement in the name of peace.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Yep it's the same old back peddling by NK...nothing new nor can't say we did not see it coming. I guess the question is how will the Obama administration handle this differently than past administrations. Personally I think we should offer to relieve their sanctions if little Kimy steps down and must leave the country. He has absolutely no credibility what so ever.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I just read that the US rejected the N.K offer of talks.
Seems the Admin. isn't buying into the tactics, either.

Ed: link

[edit on 11-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Previous thread posted 10 days ago:
North Korea calls for end to hostile relations with US

The US and North Korea agreed on the need to resume the nuclear negotiations during a trip by Barack Obama's special envoy to Pyongyang in December, but North Korea did not make a firm commitment on when it would rejoin the talks.

My guess is Kim wants mainly American dollars in addition to nuclear recognition.

He is being persistent!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I say bomb the SK-NK border with crates of food then drop an MOAB on Pyongyang.

Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Cough... Cough.. .BS... cough...

They have no room to make ANY Demands.

North Korea seeks Korean War treaty, end to sanctions

he 1950s conflict ended in a truce, leaving North and South Korea without a formal peace treaty. The North now says it might return to six-party nuclear talks if its demands are met.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I dare you to cross this line in the sand!

Okay??? I bet you won't cross this line!

Well??? I know you aren't brave enough to cross this line!

Um? (With his back against a wall) I hope you don't cross this line

How long does this go on? Everyone sas he's insane, but, he sure knows how to play the system.

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Korea is the ONLY place on earth where I can honestly say "why can't the north be more like the south".

Hey now! There's no need to get nasty! (said the Texan)

new topics

top topics

join