It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate sounds like fun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Im really not sure where to post this as there isn’t any types of these threads in the debate forum and as there is a tournament already under way I thought id post it here.

The debate forum is a great idea and I’d like to try it sometime hopefully although as there is a tournament underway I suppose I should wait till afterwards but im just posting this thread asking if anyone would like to debate something when it is finished?

la2

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
It is a very good idea, but an open debate forum could decend into chaos and mud-slinging.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by la2

No sorry I mean im asking if anyone would like to debate me in the debate forum. Im not asking for a new forum or anything.

So im challenging anyone/everyone out there really
(obviously when the current tournament has finished)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
what exactly are you challenging?????? If i knew i might just take you up on that

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
There is a debate tournament discussion thread with answers to these sorts of questions.

I would suggest contacting the debate forum moderator Chissler for information on this.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

You might want to look through the Debate Tournament Discussion Thread (especially the early part) for potential opponents. There were more sign-ups than slots, if you u2u the members who didn't get a slot in the debate tournament, there's a fair chance one of them might be interested in a challenge match

In general, for people who are interested in starting debating in the Debate Forum, I would strongly recommend reading through a few debates and also through the rules and rankings thread before jumping in (not directed at you, RisingAgainst, just more a general recommendation). It's incredibly good mental exercise and can be a real blast. But it can also take a lot more time and work than people expect at first

Here's the Debate Forum Index to get people started.

(edited in link to Tournament Discussion Thread)

[edit on 1/11/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pajjikor

Anything really? why do you have a subject in mind because i'd probably debate anything at all.

reply to post by americandingbat

In general, for people who are interested in starting debating in the Debate Forum, I would strongly recommend reading through a few debates and also through the rules and rankings thread before jumping in (not directed at you, RisingAgainst, just more a general recommendation).

lol I wouldn’t be offended if it was aimed at me

Yes I’ve read a few of them and it does seem like alot of work definitely but I should be having some time on my hands soon and well I’d want to at least give it a go and see how I do.

EDIT: oh and thank you for the advice aswell

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

im much the same way, but to tell you the truth im might not be the best to choose from right now, i researching topics i posted on a thread right now. but if you want u2u me and we will defiantly have a debate soon. You choose the topic

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Same it’s probably best to wait until the current debate tournament has finished aswell (although i just wanted to express my interest in a challenge match early) so that will be a while probably anyway.

Hmm why not let someone else decide the subject so it’s completely 100% fair then

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

sounds good to me

How do i find out about these competitions on ats?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Just go to the Member Debates Forum

And you can see the tournament is currently in Round 2 so far (all of them are locked which means they are being judged)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
cool actually looking at some of these im surprised they give you 24 hours to reply that alot of time to compile research or a hypothesis

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Yep it seems about perfect to me because some people still have alot of other duties they have to get done like work etc. and don’t have as much time to research topics as much as others.

I know that if we do have a debate it won’t be for a while but is there anything in particular you’re interested in debating over?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

and yeah i understand the 24 hour, just think it alot of time, i got insomnia so i up pretty much all night on my computer anyway

id love to do 2012, seeing as how i think that it crap. but that a losing battle, to many things to battle for. but hell id still try it

But seriously i got no clue ill pretty much have a debate about me if it comes down to it

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I have alot of problems sleeping aswell sadly

Too much weird things in the world to think about lol

Well im kind of edging towards something happening in 2012 so that could be an interesting one since we both agree and disagree on the topic each.

But I don’t mind still if you think it’s a losing battle.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

that just makes it all the funnier to try and defend

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

lol fair enough

2012 it is

Ok I may contact a MOD (Chissler) and let them know were interested in a debate in the future and may aswell keep replies to u2u's now that we have got a match lined up and a potential topic.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

do you think that we need to narrow the topic of 2012 or leave it just as is?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I'll send a u2u and discuss it further from that

new topics

top topics

join