It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The next District 9 / Cloverfield? $300 youtube video gets unknown filmaker $30 million dollar deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
"Some guy on the internet" impresses hollywood and could be making the next big sci-fi flick. Amazing story, who says messing around with a video camera & some CGI programs couldn't be a payday?

The video-

The story-

bookofjoe Link

Consider, for example, an unknown producer in Uruguay named Fede Alvarez, who spent about $300 to make the four-minute long movie (above) depicting a robot invasion of Montevideo, the capitol of Uruguay. Alvarez told the BBC, "I uploaded 'Ataque de Pánico! on a Thursday and on Monday my inbox was totally full of emails from Hollywood studios." Since being posted in early November the video has gone viral, currently approaching 2 million views, and has resulted in Alvarez signing a $30 million deal with Sam "Spiderman" Raimi's Ghost House Pictures to make a full-length sci-fi thriller.

Filmstalker Link

Uruguyan director Federico Alvarez created a short film, less than five minutes in length, that showed the destruction of a city by an invading force of flying machines and gigantic robots. The scenes of destruction and the merging of CG and the landscape around them are superbly done, and the closing idea is interesting. However there's not much else. So it's a surprise that on the strength of that short, which you can see below, Alvarez received offers from DreamWorks, Fox, Warner Bros. and the Weinstein Company, and even more surprising that out of all of them he has signed a deal with Sam Raimi's much smaller production company. Ghost House Pictures doesn't really have the kind of scale you would expect for a film version of the following short, but then it could be akin to Cloverfield (Filmstalker review) for what it would be attempting, and not something like Independence Day – I mean that in terms of budgets, effects and scale of production, not in quality terms! - however if they early estimates are right then the budget might well be a little bigger than Cloverfield. The word is that Panic Attack was pounced on when the video started doing the rounds on the Interflab and Federico Alvarez himself reveals on El Pais through ShockTillYouDrop that he made a deal while in L.A. with Ghost House Pictures and it was a mighty nice one, one million dollars to develop a script based on the short he made and with an intended budget from US $30-40 million. Now that's a little bigger than Cloverfield, which was estimated at around $25 million.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I love tat song!
Looks like it could be a great movie !!!
Thanks for post and inspiration.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
this is...how can i put this kindly...
OLD NEWS!!

You were only a month late.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

[edit on 11-1-2010 by joey_hv]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
This was posted a while back.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Great post, awesome clip, fantastic stuff.

I am happy for the guy and hope he spends all that money in the right ways.

He earned his shot to rock the theaters with whatever they throw at us from all this.

If the movie sucks though, I will boo him for that.

But!

Great clip.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have only one word to describe this video...

FANTASTIC!!!!

For being a $300 production, it is very impressive. The layering effects and everything looked beautiful. Plus the storyline was great, as short as it was. I would offer this fellow a chance too.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
arrrggghhh. Usually my memory of previous threads serves me well.

~Mods, ya know what to do!~

Thx Search Nazi...ahem...I mean Joey

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I hadn't seen the old post on this OP, so thanks for sharing!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
I hadn't seen the old post on this OP, so thanks for sharing!

Me neither but it was posted on my birthday & I was on the golf course all day!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Look out for the Panic Attack movie, about a rowdy baseball team discovers the true meaning of Christmas from a robot cowboy angel! Producers released a statement last week denouncing accusations that the storyline is far removed from the original content.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Is the "$30 million dollar deal" part true?

Not to be a naysayer or a "hater" or anything, but hasn't this been done with "Independence Day" and "War of the Worlds" - there's probably more movies that can be named but I've only seen those two that closely resemble this guy's work.

But don't get me wrong, I DO agree that the video is pretty good, for a $300 budget. I just think the feature film deal is a little far fetched. Unless it's a European, Asian, or other Non-Hollywood film producer/studio.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
As much as hate to spurn on a DUPLICATE thread I feel I need to mention that the $300 figure probably doesn't include the software he had to buy or the $$$$ he paid to learn how to use it from whatever college this young man attended.

Oh and ah...happy belated birthday Signals!

[edit on 11-1-2010 by joey_hv]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
That video is definitely a Hoax! I am no expert but it looks completely staged, with tons of CGI being utilized. Besides, how could they cover up a robot invasion of that scale?

If this video was somehow smuggled out of the city that was destroyed we would have at least heard about it.

I motion to have this marked HOAX and moved to the appropriate forum.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Well, that's kind of the whole point :p If you read the OP, you will see that the creator of this video isn't claiming it's real. The creator is getting a movie deal based on his skills in making that video.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

second the motion

second line

[edit on 11-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
IMO a total rip off of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

new topics

top topics

join