It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mini ice age starts here

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

The mini ice age starts here

www.dailymail.co.uk

The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.

Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
summer by 2013.

According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice h
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I was just debating this with a c0b in the chat. I told him that there going to be a progressive cooling for the next few years. Now I can rub this in his face. Not surprising the British are still pushing their global warming agenda. Personaly I'd rather it get warmer, who cares about the poler bears.

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mosesgunner

If some IPCC scientists predict warming and some predict cooling does that mean they are funded into eternity?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Is this like one of those warmer/colder nearer/further games?

Except they have no idea what they are looking for???

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I will concur, it's been freezing (by Miami standards) here in Miami for 10 solid days, with another 5 days in store. We never have winter cold fronts that last for more than three days, and in 15 years of living here no cold front has been this cold where day after day the lows dip into the 40's and 30's and the highs don't even get anywhere near 60.

Normal is about 78 for the high this time of year and 67 for the low.

I have started teasing people that I have fallen through a warm hole to an alternate universe where this Miami is always cold instead of always warm.

I wonder...?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Same deal in Scotland. It was -18 deg celcius the other day. The snow has not melted for weeks and it's colder than anyone can remember.

Funniest thing is, the weather forecasters predicted a mild winter!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

Same deal in Scotland. It was -18 deg celcius the other day. The snow has not melted for weeks and it's colder than anyone can remember.

Funniest thing is, the weather forecasters predicted a mild winter!!!

We were having a warmer than normal winter up until right after Christmas.

I bet you don't have to be careful walking out doors because the iquanas are falling out of the trees!

One poor man picked up four and stuck them in his car to take them to the vet and they thawed out on the way and attacked him!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I bet you don't have to be careful walking out doors because the iquanas are falling out of the trees

Thats crazy!!! this deserves to be a post by itself!! I love animals, but this is one of the funniest things iv'e read ever.

My sides are sore!!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Its absolutely true the colder it gets the more sluggish the reptiles become at a certain point they can't even move and just fall right out of the trees and off the walls.

Even once they fall they can't move so they just lay there, where ever they are until it gets warm enough for the blood to start moving again.

They won't actually die in that state, they just shut down and go into hibernation until the heat warms up their blood again enough for them to move their muscles.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Thats amazing. I've seen some Nature Programmes about this, but to actually see it is another thing.

Someone could make a killing in the Thermal Iguana Jacket Business at the moment!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Iguanas can be tamed but it's not easy, most large lizards will bite, scratch and even eat what they bite.

Handling them is risky, in that state it's best just to push them out of the way gently to a spot they won't get accidently stepped on or run over, and let nature take it's course.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
And here is why they stopped calling it Global Warming and started with the 'climate change' recently.
Now if they can just figure out a way to blame it on us so they can tax us more. Of course CO2 is still poison so we have to keep paying for that, even if it might keep us warm.
This is more fun than a roller coaster ....because it is one!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If it is a mini Ice Age as some are claiming it would be vindication for the scientific community that looked at Al Gore and his global warmers with skepticism, and thus alienating themselves with in the scientific community.
However, that is not what I am getting at, because science and politics should never mix.

If it is a mini Ice Age, that would mean shorter growing seasons and potential food shortages? Thus, leading to, food wars, famine, disease caused by malnutrition weakening the immune system, and shorter life spans. I saw a show awhile back on the History Channel, where they looked at the first mini Ice Age. Some historians and climatologists thought that it was one of the reasons for the fall of the Roman Empire and the start of the "Dark Ages."

With the "Dark Ages," it brought society to a stalemate. They showed that it caused mass starvation and famine. Thus, leading to the feudal system, where the noble gathered up the harvest for themselves and left the serfs who worked the land with the leftovers. This lead to malnutrition among the populace in Europe, and over time, this witches brew opened the door for the devastation caused by the plague that nearly wiped out the European continent. Plus, government instability caused by food shortages around the continent, as well.

They even went as far to say, that the Renaissance only happened because there was a reprieve in the climate conditions around Europe. They said the warmer climate and longer growth periods led to new found interest in the arts, philosophy, and government theory. Before that, people were to weak to worry about anything else than surviving, thus, resulting in a stalemate or bottleneck in the progression of society which lasted over a thousand years. I wish I remembered the name of the show, because it was some very interesting stuff. So, maybe we are on the cusp of a mini Ice Age, or a monster that is even worse, a full-blown Ice Age?

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mosesgunner

I was just debating this with a c0b in the chat. I told him that there going to be a progressive cooling for the next few years. Now I can rub this in his face. Not surprising the British are still pushing their global warming agenda. Personaly I'd rather it get warmer, who cares about the poler bears.

www.dailymail.co.uk

Sorry, but you should never use the Daily Mail to justify a stance...

It's just Arctic Oscillation nothing more....

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm in isla mujeres mexico,three miles off the coast of cancun,directly west of cuba.

57 degrees Fahrenheit here.should be at least mid 70s or so.

a mini or full blown ice age would be the same for us,we only live for so long and a mini one could be hundreds of years long.

better learn to ski folks

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Indeed an ice age could be a lot worse for us as humans than global warming. Forgive me but we all need to gloat a bit now, those of us that never believed in AGW.
Sadly the whole 'science' of climatology has been so badly poisoned belief and support for whatever they come up with just won't be there. Frankly I doubt man is significant enough to directly effect climate on a global scale (perhaps HAARP excepted). But we could prepare for what is coming, if we believed we knew.
Storing food like the ant instead of dancing like the grasshopper.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I believe you may be right in that it's just the negative phase of Arctic Oscillation, which we seemingly haven't experienced much of since before the 70's.

I've been alive since before then, and this weather does remind me of weather I experienced as a child. Much colder winters and milder summers.

I hope it stays like this because I truly hate the horrendously hot summers we've been experiencing for the past few decades.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I think I'll stick to my Farmers Almanac. It has had more than a 90% accuracy rate for more than 100 years. Lets see a talking head beat that

Whatever happens happens. Hopefully within 10 years [if 2012 doesn't get in the way] I'll be able to dig out an underground bunker type set-up on one of my properties that is deep enough to where the above ground temps don't matter. I figure I've got a little time left to research underground farming and irrigation.

Do yourselves a favor, listen to nothing the media tells you. They're all ignorant.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
with the lack of sun spots this theory isnt that far fetched, we had -37 here last week and this was just the begining of winter over here , march / april should be the last cold peak if all goes as planed but its usualy colder then the first peak and splendid times for sauna and rolling in the snow.

if one wants to check for one self just click SOHO and check for your selfs

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Hey "MosesGunner", thanks for posting this article

I was absolutely ecstatic when I saw this, because it DIRECTLY correlates to the graphs which I have been showing folks ALL over the place for years now (Months here on ATS):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seems that the "Mail" finally tracked down the actual scientists responsible for this data, and they made their findings mainstream public knowledge! I am absolutely delighted at this finally being brought forth in such a manner, and at long last, the public can understand yet another piece of just how our global climate actually works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join