It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glen Beck having trouble paying his taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The following is from an article at Politico. Amazingly, GB has had trouble keeping up with his own taxes even though he's been extremely critical of Politicians who haven't...and rightly so IMO.

What if it's Beck with a tax 'accident'? Read more: www.politico.com...

No one has been less forgiving than Glenn Beck when it comes to Democrats with tax problems. Not just the well-known ones like Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner but also less serious ones such as Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, whose husband only recently paid off $6,400 in tax liens on his auto repair business, and Nancy Killefer, who withdrew her nomination to be White House chief performance officer, citing a $946.69 tax lien on her Washington home. Read more: www.politico.com...

Mercury, a private corporation that lists Beck as chief executive officer and his wife, Tania Beck, alternately as vice president or secretary, since 2007 has fallen behind on its New York City business income taxes and has been cited for filing errors related to its obligations under Texas franchise tax and New York state workers' compensation insurance rules. Beck was not available for comment, and Mercury’s president, Chris Balfe, declined a requested interview. But a source with knowledge of the situation said that Mercury’s tax issues were minor, stemmed from bureaucratic confusion and were rectified quickly once the company learned of them. Read more: www.politico.com...

www.politico.com...

Please actually READ the article before commenting as I know many will just come in here to slam him which always happens.

I'm just curious as to how you feel about GB messing up his taxes when he's been so highly critical of others doing the same...whether they did it purposely or not. I don't think he would have done it purposely as he would be setting himself up...but nonetheless....it did happen. One wonders if he will address it.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Now this is a very different situation. I'm not a huge Glenn Beck fan, but he does not lie on his shows. Anyways, he is only critical of people who just don't pay taxes because they think they can get away with it, or because they believe they are above it. He on the other hand only made a mistake, which means he had every intention of paying his taxes. So you can't bash him for this, every makes mistakes.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

He on the other hand only made a mistake, which means he had every intention of paying his taxes. So you can't bash him for this, every makes mistakes.

BUt what if the ones he has criticized made a simple mistake? Will he apologize to them?

I doubt it. It's going to be difficult for him to defend. Yes, he can talk about how ridiculous our tax laws are...but those he has criticized (except for the few who actually have written tax laws) could have the same excuse.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingoftheworld
So you can't bash him for this, every makes mistakes.

Oh sure we can! In fact we can do it in GB style!

GB made an innocent mistake? I don't think so. I think he was deliberately dodging his taxes.

when I think back to what this country once was, commentators being truthful, (sob) honest, (snif) loyal,
it just makes me, you know, just chokes me up inside to see this happen!

Basically just another person in a glass house throwing stones.

[edit on 1/10/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well I say stuff happens, Beck's corporation screwed up, I assume much of the tax issues
politicians face must be similar...

I do not like Beck, I am sure he will proceed with his routine and eventually attack other
for the same thing on down the line, once this has smoothed over.

Glad you are a balanced folk OP, their are many more important things to do with Beck IMO. As much as I would like to turn this into a Birther, Muslim, Nazi movement of character assassination against the SOB I am not into that crap, wish he was too.
He likes his money regardless of how it is made, bully for him.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The only thing I could find on the whole tax issue in the article was this-

Beck was not available for comment, and Mercury’s president, Chris Balfe, declined a requested interview. But a source with knowledge of the situation said that Mercury’s tax issues were minor, stemmed from bureaucratic confusion and were rectified quickly once the company learned of them. Read more: www.politico.com...

Beck is a private citizen, he is not trying to get a position in government.

That being said, with my tax problems, their is no way I would be looking for a position in government.

[edit on 1/10/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Now this is a very different situation. I'm not a huge Glenn Beck fan, but he does not lie on his shows. Anyways, he is only critical of people who just don't pay taxes because they think they can get away with it, or because they believe they are above it. He on the other hand only made a mistake, which means he had every intention of paying his taxes. So you can't bash him for this, every makes mistakes.

Well I think he is the worst kind of liar, being a master manipulator, you give him a pass because he kinda makes you feel funny, so be it. He is an elite and he is above it, don't fool yourself too much... PASS

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

If they made a mistake then Glenn Beck should have never ragged on them about it, and yes he should apologize, if that is the case.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

If he was part of the elite, I do not think he would be totally rallying against healthcare, ragging on Obama and his Admin. the way he is. What he says, and exposes with the ACORNS vids and what not, I have come to the conclusion that he is not part of the elite, but they may buy him off, turn him another way, or just off him.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Was it a mistake or intentional? I'm gonna give him the benefit of a dought...here's why?
Look at how his business has grown over the last year or so...books, political humor tours, radio broadcasts, tv shows-contracts-appearances. Lives in Conneticut, works in NY...the logistics alone must be a nightmare. Not to mention the staff he must have to do the taxes-permits-licenses. Then to do so nationally, traveling and working and paying local taxes per appearance.
A mistake so quickly fixed indicates to me some sense of sincerity.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Beck is a private citizen, he is not trying to get a position in government.

Yes, he is a private citizen...but he's a also a multi-million powerhouse with his own 1 hour show that helps dictate public opinion and has criticized those for doing the same.

Did anyone know that he's in FAVOR of a 2 percent VAT tax? I heard it out of his own mouth.

Geez Beck...why not RAISE TARIFFS ON IMPORTS?

He's a constant defender of the wealthy. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy..but I don't see him screaming about how people are struggling each night either.

He does talk about good things...and I feel he's right on some things...but in other areas he's completely off base. Some of his theories are completely ridiculous.

Also, his blatant support of neo-con Sarah Palin drives me absolutely insane!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

If he was part of the elite, I do not think he would be totally rallying against healthcare, ragging on Obama and his Admin. the way he is.

The man is defending the health insurance industry...which is essentially a bank and provides no REAL health care. They push money in the system....that's it. There is no "real" dollars even changing hands.

THe new health care bill will FORCE people to buy private health insurance. This is not socialized medicine...this is facism.

Where is ol' GB on that? He keep screaming about government health care but it's really nothing of the sort.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

You do make a good point. I get that this healthcare bill is crap, it taxes your existance for Christ's sake! But I believe if he was part of the NWO he would not expose or say the things on his show that he does. If you have proof that he is part of the elite, please by all means let me know about it.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
GB's situation is a bit different, -this was his company not him personally. Like someone stated he has 3 hours of radio and an hour or TV to do each day, so Im sure he is busy. I truly doubt that he takes care of the taxes for his company, he doesnt seem that great with numbers so I would guess that he maybe has an accountant or two.

This is very different from Geithner ( the pick for Sec of the treasury, with a degree in finance) using turbo tax to do his taxes and making mistakes. Or whats-her-face with a lien on their home.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Janky Red

If he was part of the elite, I do not think he would be totally rallying against healthcare, ragging on Obama and his Admin. the way he is. What he says, and exposes with the ACORNS vids and what not, I have come to the conclusion that he is not part of the elite, but they may buy him off, turn him another way, or just off him.

Come on, he proposes market fixes for healthcare

Like the credit industry all moved to Delaware so that they could practice what would be considered CRIMINAL USAURY in all the other 49 states.

Same with healthcare, they would all move to a state that will reduce their standards to entice them and then we will see some good stuff
You wanna see highway robbery, the day that "market fix" is put into place... well you ever read a credit card agreement or paid ridiculous fees and fines, all due to a market fix, being Delaware's
janky ass consumer laws, leaders of continuing the fake money game, friend of the fed and the Elite. Now add the 2.2 trillion dollar Insurance industry and apply this model.

BTW Beck is one of the leading mouth pieces for one of the two most influential political groups on the planet, he plays the roll of Mr. Indy. Yet he single handedly gave the TEA PARTY to the neocon GOPer's, set the bait and screwed a true and proper movement.
I would say he is an Elite media persona no doubt with all the friends and perks that go along with this position.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it wasn't done with intent, as been pointed out by others on here. However, even if it was........could he become a democrat and have it just go away and not have to justify himself ala Rangle?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I'm pretty sure it wasn't done with intent, as been pointed out by others on here. However, even if it was........could he become a democrat and have it just go away and not have to justify himself ala Rangle?

Or a republican Ala Sarah Palin?

That one went away too

Nice

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Not only is he a private citizen, and not to mention the company paid all arrear taxes I just don't see the point of this. If it is Tim Gietner, our treasury secretary who was the only guy capable of overseeing this countries terrible financial problems that is being mention, of course it was relevant to know if he made a mistake using turbo tax. If he is not smart enough to run a simple program made so dummies can file their taxes, surely his qualifications for one of the most important jobs in the country should be looked at. Tom Daschle, if I am not mistaken was the other person who got hammered. He actually had to pass up his position because his "mistakes" were so gross. It's not like we are talking about the Blackeyed Peas or M.C. Hammer or something, the debt has been paid and there is nothing to even point to the conclusion that the mistake was intentional. Just the typical grumbling from the anti fox crowd.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Thank you for proving the Op right. It only took a few posts before this thing spiraled out of control. I dont particularly like Beck, but we are here to debate an issue, not to be bombarded by cynicism and sarcastic commentary

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

Naa, I was mostly joking. It was just too easy a target to pass up.

top topics

join