It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many around you seem suddenly "befuddled" ?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Here's the bit of info from my earlier post that I thought was a potential cause:

Exposure to mobile
phone radiation decreases the preparatory slow potentials in certain
regions of the brain (Freude, Ullsperger, Eggert, & Ruppe, 1998)
and affects memory tasks modulating the responses of EEG activity
approximately 8 Hz specifically during cognitive process (Krause et
al., 2000).

Thought it might be of interest to you, PT, and to everyone that uses cellphones and possibly wifi (though not in all cases). I better step back from posting, my brain is hurting.

[edit on 1/11/2010 by seentoomuch]

Thanks for that information friend, I am surrounded by constant wireless cellular bombardment.

I also live less than two blocks from a major Electric Power Substation, it's great for getting your power back quick when the Hurricanes blow through but there is no way to tell just how much EMT exposure I have and what the full and total effects of it might be.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticantiseptic

I absolutely agree with this one (as well as the other post's to this thread). I used to have a near-perfect recall of any book I had ever read as well as a great memory for names/dates/etc. I used to be able to play along quite well while watching gameshows like Jeopardy! and the like. No, I have a hard time recalling things when asked. I have also started to forget peoples names that I have known in the past, as well as famous peoples names when discussing movies and TV with people. I also have had a hard time with spelling and grammar lately. I used to be above average when it came to spelling and syntax, but now I find myself questioning every sentence I write wondering if it sounds grammaticily correct and if the spelling of words are correct (like grammatically, which I just looked up to make sure it was right, it wasn't). I also have been using the wrong words such as new for knew, or wear for where, etc. I usually catch them but not always. I just feel dumber most days and I try to stay pretty active mentally by reading, writing, puzzles etc. I do not consider myself old enough to be having "senior moments", as my Mother calls them, as I am only forty. Also, there is no cases of mental diesese or disorder in my family so that cannot be a reason for this.
(After I typed that last sentence I realized how bad it sounds grammatically. It should read "Also, there are no cases of mental disease or disorders in my family so that is most likely not the reason.)
Still, the corrected sentence doesn't sound right, and I want to rewrite it.
I have no rational explanation for why my mental capacities seem to be declining except for perhaps stress. I know that stress definitely seems to exacerbate it as it seems to get worse when I am stressing about something, but I cannot say that is the definitive cause. I get regular check-up's and such and nothing seems out of order health wise so I am not sure what to think. I do take some prescription medications daily and have been doing so for about two years now and as of late I have been wondering if that has something to do with it. Who knows?
I have good days and bad days but one thing is for certain, I do not feel as though my mind is as sharp or quick as I know it used to be and I miss that.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
OP here.

Thanks for all the replies, which have far exceeded my expectations in quality and honesty, despite the disturbing implications of this.

If you feel yourself being "dumbed down," there ARE ways to fight it. In addition to carefully considering your food and water sources, as well as potential conspiracy theories, remember: the mind is a muscle that can move the world. And like a real muscle, it can be improved with conscious effort. Pay extra attention to your spelling, grammar, and diction. Rely less on spell-checkers and take the time to grope for those forgotten names or vocabulary words, even if it seems embarrassing. Force yourself to read longer, harder material, and to slow down and take your time. The brain retains neural plasticity up through your 60s and 70s. This means that it can "rewire itself" by force of will. In many cases of neural damage, the brain can actually train different parts of itself to re-learn lost aptitudes -- if the subject is willing to put in the effort.

Let's all keep thinking, keep questioning, and let's use our stronger, healthier brains to suss out the root cause(s) of this problem and put a stop to it.

Best wishes for all of us!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

I dont watch TV

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I have definitely noticed my self becoming more and more slow. I seem to forget things a lot easier than I used to and it takes me reading things more than once to understand them sometimes. I thought maybe it was me aging and having taken a break from college....but I'm only 23! I have noticed that those around me are becoming more and more stupid as well. It seems that the communication between people around here has become so very simple.

It's those HAARP things at it, I tells ya!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Very strange that so many are feeling this.
I asked around today, seeing if others felt this as well. General conclusion has been that the majority felt slower, more forgetful, were making more 'bad decisions', etc... I have noticed that many drivers seem completely out of it, too.. more than usual.

Perhaps it's the texting at the wheel, who knows... but the driving seems incredibly worse, ahah.

I have also noticed my close friends, relatives, co-workers, etc. displaying strange changes in behavior... and usually not for the best.

One could say it's the stressful time most people are going through right now, or that it's the electronic signals from all our little gadgets runnin' through our body, or we're purposely being dumbed down by what we consume, and watch each day. Either theory could be right, but I think we can all agree that something just doesn't feel ... "normal" right now.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
All I can say is, alchohol no longer has any effect on me at all.
And that just not right!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I've been listening to Stuff They Don't Want You To Know on iTunes, and they have episodes on Fluoride and Chemtrails. Apparently dentists get blackballed when they criticize fluoridation?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I would not say so to speak, we as a whole in the CIVILIZED, world has been dumbed down. I think we are at a technological, period in our history of man, where it has become our demise. Most people in the civilized world RELY on technology, from the alarm clock, to the calculator, to the computer to the car, the blackberry, to the ps3 etc etc etc..

When we begin to not utilize out survival instincts within our being we become out of shape, when technology substitutes basic prime mental function, the mind begins to goto waste. I am sure this can be debated, yet let us go back in time and look in amasement for just a moment..

The Egyptions.. They had no computers, no digital technology so to speak, and did not understand the theory of electricty, yet mathematically egineered one of the greatest wonders of the World.

Lets look at the greeks.. The Romans, etc. etc. etc.

At the same time the influx is information. We have access to more information then ever, at the flick of the wrist. As appose to actually researching things ourselves via, thru experience or taking the actions to READ a book about it, we have made it so simple to access information I do not beleive we feel or get what we used too from the easy access..

These are just examples, I have not gotten dumber over the years, I am much wiser I beleive. I do not forget much, yet as far as memorizing telephone numbers that is diffacult these days simply because I store everything in my cell, and highlight the name to call. If I lost my cell phone I would have a problem..

Information age The golden age or the Cursed age?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I recognize many of the complaints many of you experience. I experience them also. Typing and spelling is a good example.
I think also that electronics play part of it. We're literally bombarded with radiation.
Like Radio and TV waves,
WI-FI,
GSM,
UMTS,
Flight Radar,
GPS,
Remotes,
etc. etc.
Here in Europe, everything is 60 Herz, I recently noticed that most devices at home buzz at the same annoying frequency. If I use my coffee-machine while running my dishwasher it sounds almost exactly the same like the light buzzing of my refrigerator. Even my amplifier has exactly the same buzz because of bad grounding.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
When was the last time you saw a real knockout drag out ass whoopin'..?
like we had every week at my high school, I noticed people are well less like people. I just thought it was me, but no... there really is something to this masses are playing it dumb a heck of a lot more than they use to. somebody is running some mental crap on us... you can tell.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I noticed this just the other day. I watched as 4 friends of mine would rapidly jump subjects and seemed confused about how they had gotten there. Then would get aggravated at something very small or just out of confusion.

It was a real eye opener.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I put all my befuddled moments down to the choice of herbs I inhale, I'm in a permanent state of befuddlement. So at least ive got an excuse, but i have noticed in others too, quite weird seeing everyones responses to the thread.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Yes, but I also know some people who are severely overly entertained, have mental health issues, and indulge in sci-fi to block out reality of how much existence currently sucks. That would be me. By the way, I misspelled existence and spell checker told me it was misspelled. We have technology to blame for very many of our problems. Cell phones emitting radiation next to our brains. People frying in tanning beds because they think it makes them more attractive. This is in the USA alone.

That said, I also know some people who are quite intelligent and responsible and possess clearly a better life than I have. Some are older. Some are younger. So, whatever you think is in your water or food, isn't affecting everyone...so I don't see the connection on how these chemicals don't affect our minds the same. That's why I laugh at chemtrails and fluoride. I think genetics make up more of the picture.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Hi, im in Queensland too. Though i dont drink the town water so dont get flouride, i wrote to Ms Bligh telling her not to do it, she did it anyway of course.

But i do notice people seem to be getting dumber. Now i really notice, people are obsessed with tv programs, thats all they can talk about. also i went to the mall recently for lunch, looked around me and 98 per cent of people were either drinking coke or pepsi.

maybe thats whats doing it, as well as the flouride? Cant be helping.

But yeah, no one thinks anymore; people follow the herd, and if you say anything thats not on tv or on the news, people think you're crazy.

tv has replaced thought for everyone.

they work, they sleep, they shop and htey watch tv. thats their source of info. scary.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think people are getting dumber simply because people care less. I think people want to be comfortable. Once people are comfortable, they don't need to do anything. They have nothing.

I like being comfortable, don't get me wrong. However, it makes us weak. I'm much weaker than I was. AND YET, I'm still the strongest, fastest, and smartest person I know. This is the real interesting issue.

I am 25 years old and now I have a 1 month old son. I'm not supposed to still be physically superior to all of my peers. I spend 4-6 hours a day on this dang laptop. I haven't kept a physical fitness schedule in 4 years. I work a job where I do repetitive lifting and climbing. But speed isn't as much an issue. I still have a faster reflexes (by far). When sparring with my friends, I pull off 4 moves to their blink. I couldn't take on a chinese master, but I am starting to realize that PEOPLE are getting slower. I'm not getting faster.

And I think it is because people care less. People ARE in fact, careless.

Did I mention that I smoke cigarettes? How is it that I beat out everyone I know running and jumping and lifting? Yet, half of the people I know do not smoke!

Did I mention that I eat and drink relatively balanced but I love whole milk and donuts? I eat brownies, cookies, and the like. I drink beer. I drink sodas. I am not really limited as to what I can eat or drink.

I am noticing an effect from smoking, but that is about it.

I have been to the doctor twice in my life. I have been to the hospital once. I have been to the dentist twice in my life. I do not have nor do I need regular check-ups. I know what being dehydrated means.

I do not take medicine. I have taken acetimenophen about 50 times in my life. Ibuprofen I have taken about 50 times in my life. I did illegal stuff back in the day, but not much.

I do not have cable or satellite television. My wife and I buy DVD sets and watch those. WE have exhausted our collection 10 times over.

I play games on this laptop even when I'm not here paying attention to Abovetopsecret.com.

I feel a little dumber... a little slower... but nothing to the extent that people here are saying.

I think it is because I care. I am honest and I love life. God is good.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

yeah i notice every generation gets stupider and stupider i myself have trouble remembering words and stumble on certain words sometimes i know what i'm tryin to say but sayin it and thinkin jus dont seem to fuction in harmony sometimes i think its them chem trails as the governments preparing us for the new world order and intelligence is its greatest adversary get enough of the world dumb and stupid and you can control them easier with little resistance especially if you take freedoms away with excuses that to a dumb person would seem viable! and just like that i didnt use to put much effort into what i'm syaing or spelling but anymore its like i forget

[edit on 12-1-2010 by metalholic]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
everyone dressing like there from the ghetto confirms this to since when have you came across someone with there ass hanging out and pants down around there knees that could actually hold an intelligent conversation

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I blame technology for part of it...by which I mean I blame everyone using technology because it really didn't force anyone to use it. A lot of people have difficulty doing basic math like 467 x 45 without a calculator. I used to just do that kind of thing in my head, but then I stopped because everyone else was being lazy so why not? I used a calculator for everything from 1.8322243 + 6^4.332 to 12+5...and yes, my basic arithmetic suffered. Eh.

The same for reading. IPOD, computer, XBOX! Oh yeah, how come my vocabulary is getting worse? My grammar? Oh! I don't read at least 1 real book every few days. I don't mean Angels and Demons or Harry Potter, but a book with substance. If you want your brain to work, then you need to train it! Just because school ended doesn't mean you can stop all real learning (except all the AMAZING things you learn on ATS, of course

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Um...so what you're saying is that those people here who are feeling ill just don't care?! I agree the average person may be indifferent, but ATS isn't really the norm in that department. I think your superior logic needs a tune up. In my view, you've won the lottery. Most everyone I see over the age of about 24 is quite rundown unless they're doing extensive work to better their selves nonstop.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join