It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Theology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I was thinking of maybe writing a bible like volume with different people writing different books within it. It could be something like an Atheist Bible. I've come up with some material (including my signature... lol...). Here it is :

As the old atheist saying goes from the  book of Specious 5:9-12  "Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me alone."

In his book, Candor also talks about who god is, in 7:3-4 "When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself."

The real answer to the big bang theory? It was a practical joke played by god on his second infamous son Jeebus, who lives in his basement drinking beer and watching Canadian football, according to the book of Spurious in 3:2 "And God said 'Pulleth my Finger'".

I think it could be fun... Maybe I'm just delusional... lol

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It would be stupid. A lot of ignorant people already think atheism is a religion.
If there was an atheist 'bible' they would all go SEE YOU HAVE A BIBLE, ITS OBVIOUSLY A RELIGION!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Then if bible sounds too religious or may send the wrong message, it could be a "collection of Atheist thoughts and morals"...

Magnum

[EDIT] syntax

[edit on 10/1/10 by Magnum007]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

There are plenty of those already.

Manifesto

Portable

Quotable

To name but a few.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ok... Never mind then...

Magnum

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
Ok... Never mind then...

Magnum

Don't give up man.
If you really want to write a book or collection of quotes then do it... don't let a few comments on the internet stop you

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Don't despair, just write.

I saw the title and did a "huh?", but then when I noticed it was in the Short Stories forum I thought "Right on!"

I'm no atheist, but the theology behind antheism could be interesting and fun as well. I hope you carry on with it.

[edit on 10/1/10 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I was just thinking that it could be a book for people who have questions about what to do, or have no direction, but who don't want to follow a certain doctrine. Like a book of logic. Something that many people can put together where, based on their life experiences, they came out with a logical answer/solutions to their woes. Each person can write a "book" about life lessons, or how to cope, or so on, that can touch people who are of different faiths and those who do not have any at all. I just want to come up with something with different people to show that we are all human, and that logic is a good start to solving our problems...

Emotional breakdowns, fear of change, fear of being rejected, are some of the many obstacles to clear decision making. Maybe there should be something out there that doesn't mention God or supreme beings dictating what to do. Maybe WE HUMANS should be the ones to help other humans in finding the answers.

Am I asking for too much?

Magnum

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I don't think so.
If you mean it as a serious endeavour, then start the ball rolling, give us a few examples.. I'm guessing the fart gag in your OP is not the kind of thing you mean, so perhaps show us what it is you have in mind.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm not an athiest, but I'm not militant about insisting that everyone adopt to my beliefs,either, and I have no problem with other people being athiest, if that's what they choose.

I thought the original post was funny as hell.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I agree, I'm not an atheist, but if you were to seriously write this, I would probably read it. So here's to motivation! Good luck with it if you do decide to write it, I'll be on the lookout for it, just make sure you release it as an E-Book and an Iphone app, that way people know it's safe to read, and it actually gets read. :/

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

For example, when I was younger I had a hard time "letting go". I would hang on to relationships that were obviously over for a long time, and I know I am not the only one. Someone who has had experience in this, let's say who has been married for a long time and divorced, could write about their experience and show that letting go is hard but possible.

It would be a book of lessons learned, knowledge earned, and experience acquired. This would be the direction I am aiming for. Of course, in my short quarter century life, there is no way I could write about the many subjects that I have yet to experience. I am hoping this could be a collaborative experience.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I was just thinking that it could be a book for people who have questions about what to do, or have no direction, but who don't want to follow a certain doctrine. Like a book of logic. Something that many people can put together where, based on their life experiences, they came out with a logical answer/solutions to their woes.

Well, that's way too realistic and sounds more like a thread for Conspiracies in Religion. I've tons of reasons to turn my back on religion but that wouldn't account for my resistance to atheism. I just plain don't accept it.

Atheism, imo, has become a religion all to itself and I just plain don't like religions because it's 'group think'.

Coming up with a plausable series of 'scripture' for an Atheist Book sounds like fun:

21. On the Altar of Nihilism, at the middle of the day, as the sun casts no shadow, thou should expose fifty fat worms tied together securely by a long blonde hair. They shall hence be left exposed to the birds of the air and the small creatures which hide in short grasses.

22. Should worms escape their bonds, upon the priest who secured them shall be shewn scorn and ridicule and become rejected of his robes and stature among the host.

23. If the worms are accepted by the birds of the air and creatures of the short grasses before the sun has set, the priest shall be exalted and within his hand shall go the nectar of his choice. And the fellowship shall rejoice in the achievement and become steadfast in the deed well done.

24. For the birds of the air are well fed and peck no crops. And the creatures in the short grasses will feel no hunger and eat no grains from the bin.

Maybe WE HUMANS should be the ones to help other humans in finding the answers.

Yeah. Kinda too serious. Maybe another forum would be better than this one.

[edit on 10/1/10 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Sounds cool then.
I'd be happy to chip in when you've set the theme and so on.

I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. Please move it where it needs to be.

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I've already started something on a blog that I hope to use in the book. It's mostly my story living and working in Northern Canada. I want to take some of those stories and put it in the book, but the most important thing is the collaboration of others. There's no way I can do this on my own.

TranscendencyNow:

Thanks for the info! I was planning on making this a free or nearly free e-book. The Iphone App idea is great, thanks!!!

Peace,

Magnum

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You misunderstand me.

I'm all for you writing your thoughts here in Short Stories and even getting collaboration from other members. No problem. From the OP I thought you were embarking on some fiction in the name of fun. The title alone had me chuckling.

As for moving this thread into another forum, that would go against principles, because I'm involved in this discussion.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I started writing a book about 20 years ago, i called it "The eye of be Beholder", its basic content was literally taking biblical events, and converting them in to a form that i could understand and believe, the only problem to do that meant that i had in include alien technology to make it work, but one i did that i could explain pretty much anything.

I had studied the Bible with the intention of becoming a Christian, but the more i looked in to it the more and more unbelievable it became. I found years later that i was not the only one doing this, as can be found on youtube and other internet sites, so i only got to about chapter 10 and then sort of gave up, i thought where was the point in putting it out there when there were far more important and recognisable people doing the same thing other than me, but the idea is a good one IMP, being that there is no book as such to cover all the subject matter one would have to, to make it worthwhile.

new topics

top topics

join