It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 'secular' Bangladesh: Country's top court lifts 4-year stay on order banning religion in politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

A 'secular' Bangladesh: Country's top court lifts 4-year stay on order banning religion in politics

www.ind ianexpress.com

The Supreme Court of Bangladesh has lifted a four-year stay on a ban on the “abuse of religion for political purposes” to start a slow walk back to the originally envisaged “secular Bangladesh”.

The order marks Bangladesh’s return to its original Constitutional character, shedding its “forced identity” as a “Muslim country”, which “endeavour(s) to foster further relations amongst only Muslim countries based on Islamic solidarity”.

“Secularism means both religious tolerance as well as rel
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

“Secularism means both religious tolerance as well as religious freedom. The State must not seen to be favouring any particular religion, rather, ensure protection to the followers of all faiths without any discrimination including even to an atheist,

I just had to make this thread.
It's great news after a few weeks of nothing but bad news.

“We want to reinstate the original Constitution. Secularism was a pillar of the 1972 Constitution.”

This is GREAT news!
Hopefully this will maybe, you never know, help tourism somehow.
Equal opportunity employers, more unity and a growing economy.

If this ends up successful, which it should, it will maybe serve as a blueprint to other similar countries to learn of this model.

Teaching by example rather than through the barrel of a gun will forever be more efficient.

www.ind ianexpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Fantastic!

I wish everyone in Bangladesh all the very best. They're continuing their fight for liberty, in all of the most important ways.

Chalk another victory up for secularism.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Ya I saw on asian news alot of people were rejoicing
just goes to show you that the entire "my entire life is religion" group isn't a big one.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Indeed. A small group, with alot of power and noisy PR.

Sounds alot like a 'bully' group.

Parallex.

new topics

top topics

join