It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mini ice age starts here

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

As a matter of fact i am, i still consider myself Australian though, i can guarantee you that place is not cooling down. All you have here is just winter, nothing more you northerners need to grow a pair and enjoy it. But then again you guys start up again when 30°c is considered hot.
Its just weather each year is different.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
reply to post by Itop1

As a matter of fact i am, i still consider myself Australian though, i can guarantee you that place is not cooling down. All you have here is just winter, nothing more you northerners need to grow a pair and enjoy it. But then again you guys start up again when 30°c is considered hot.
Its just weather each year is different.

You just dismissing the facts, stop being a sheep.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I propose some new terms: Global Warm-Cooling (for when the world is cooling down a bit with warm spells) & Global Cool-Warming (for when it's warming up a bit with cold spells). Accordingly it can be clearly seen - especially by those of us freezing our nuts off - that we are now in a phase of Global Warm-Cooling, having come out of a phase of Global Cool-Warming.

But whatever of these phases we're in, CO2 is wholly responsible. Especially the extra naughty, but happily taxable, 5% fraction of atmospheric CO2 caused by man.

So if it's too cold, remember you only have yourselves to blame. And ditto for if it's too warm. And if you don't want it to get any colder: pay up. And if you don't want it to get any warmer: pay up.

See?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The last lce age may well have kicked off over a matter of a year or so according to ice core research,so I won't worry unless the UK is still frozen up in 6 months time.
:

Around 12,800 years ago the northern hemisphere was hit by a mini ice-age, known by scientists as the Younger Dryas, and nicknamed the ‘Big Freeze’, which lasted around 1300 years. Geological evidence shows that the Big Freeze was brought about by a sudden influx of freshwater, when the glacial Lake Agassiz in North America burst its banks and poured into the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans. This vast pulse, a greater volume than all of North America’s Great Lakes combined, diluted the North Atlantic conveyor belt and brought it to a halt.
Without the warming influence of this ocean circulation temperatures across the Northern hemisphere plummeted, ice sheets grew and human civilisation fell apart.
Previous evidence from Greenland ice cores has indicated that this sudden change in climate occurred over the space of a decade or so. Now new data shows that the change was amazingly abrupt, taking place over the course of a few months, or a year or two at most.

www.esf.org...

Imagine if that happened now.Scary.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I don't know if it's getting warmer.

Not too sure if it's getting colder,

Mini ice age? That's a story,

I remember Jackanory.

Make things up,

An' scare the people,

Spare no detail

They'll take their seat n'

Eat their wheat,

An carry on regardless. Subterfuge.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It's a well-deserved slap in the face to the MMGW fanatics whose only argument is "Atmospheric CO2 causes global warming!"

As most of us already suspected, the CO2 hoax was all about money, not Science and certainly not about saving the planet. The fanatics' arguments never added up when the discussion shifted to interplanetary warming. Gee, that manmade CO2 hoax just doesn't seem to explain planetary warming on the edge of our solar system, does it?

In short, the Earth's climate is controlled not by atmospheric CO2 content, but by very deep worldwide ocean currents, which are certainly driven by solar radiation.

So much for the Man Made Global Warming Hoax.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/10/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
But wait a second here. mr al gore says the ice caps will be gone in a decade.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
If global warming was real then why in the hell is it so damn cold? I live in Central Florida and saturday i was playing in a softball tournament, so i was out in that crap all day long....and it was brutal. It was 32 degrees at like 5pm...i have never been so cold in my life. During the games is was sleeting and snowing a bit...we couldnt believe it. I'll tell you what, i never really believe in global warming really, but ever since the climategate stuff was leajed out i really dont believe in it....you believers of global warming DO NOT forget about those leaked emails...that should be a wake up call for you guys. All i know is its cold as crap outside and i think and data points to a new ice age....i feel it in my heart.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
A lot of people seem to forget that Global Warming triggers the ice-age. We're beyond needing to assign blame MMGW or whatever. Climate change is happening. Vancouver has been relatively mild this winter due to El Nino and lot's of rain. I get confused when I see that bright orange ball in the sky. I forgot what it is this winter.

Weather patterns around the world are in disarray. The movie "Day After Tommorrow" was based on actual science. Look at Katrina, that storm got big and powerful really fast and well we all know the rest. Nor' Easters' as East Coast North Americans call them are getting stronger and High Pressure Arctic Fronts are getting stronger and pushing further South. We found Mammoths with undigested food in their stomachs! That to me suggests a very steep and rapid temperature drop.

I think we need to be preparing our society and food supply sytems for the coming change. A lot of farmland in Canada and the Northern US are going to become useless for a while and the World depends on those harvests let alone the producing Nations.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I don't doubt that the poles are slowly shifting. Here in Western Canada (BC) it seems the seasons have been starting later. In the 80's we used to get tons of snow, and really long and cold winters, like from Oct - April almost May. In the 90's we started getting the "El Nino" type winters where it was nice an warm most of the winter with little snow. Then in the 2000's its been a mixture of both from year to year. Last year it was brutally cold and lots of snow from Oct til April, but this year it didnt snow until december, and has been relatively mild. Today its +5C . What little snow we have left is melting fast.

The next full moon will bring another cold snap i believe, then the full moon after that we'll be into spring hopefully.

People used to say to me 15 yrs ago that one day they'd figure out how to tax the air and the water. I thought they were nuts at the time, but wouldn't u know it, they pulled it off.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

The gulf stream, but it's nature, is temporary. Do you really expect all that moving mass compressed in an undersea river to not erode the riverbed it is in away? It will die soon enough.

Also, When the world freezes, the equator heats up. What will happen is extremification. Cold gets colder, hot gets hotter. Strip up yer ol' natural selection. By by amphibians and reptiles. This world will be owned by the birds and mammals.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by eArth33lr

It's been rainier than usual for BC anyway

I loved the snow last year it was soo much fun being a transit driver. This city needs to put some money into converting their dumptrucks to winter plow use and all of them invest in some sidewalk cleaners like we had in Ontario. Last year was good for the enterprising homeless. A few that rode my bus were telling me that as soon as we got the 1st dump they begged enough to get a shovel and then started asking businesses if they wanted their sidewalks done. 1 guy said he made enough everyday to get a roof over his head.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DEEZNUTZ]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sam Vimes

Mini ice age is a not a story. It is called the precession of the equinox. You must be a retard to deny this FACT.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
with the jetstream over Gibraltar, and the Atlantic conveyor slowing down, looks like the brits are going to get the same kind of weather as the north Americas are.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK2
reply to post by Sam Vimes

Mini ice age is a not a story. It is called the precession of the equinox. You must be a retard to deny this FACT.

Ah, I see you have missed the point. Never mind. I'm a retard and you are a really nice person. Hopefully in the near future you'll realize that calling someone you don't know a 'retard' makes you look sort of...inexperienced.

I don't know what to believe about all this climate topic, despite how much I try to understand it, and I'm quite happy to settle for 'retard'. Nincompoop.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Good post. S&F.

One question though:

Do you recognize that global warming triggers global cooling?

And that before the major impacts, local weather fluctuations tend to be more extreme and severe, but impermanent?

Thanks,
sofi

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEEZNUTZ

I think we need to be preparing our society and food supply sytems for the coming change. A lot of farmland in Canada and the Northern US are going to become useless for a while and the World depends on those harvests let alone the producing Nations.

starred.

You're right. We do.

Think maybe that's why Britain is pushing GM food products, and talking about focusing on imports instead of local production?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Just so you know, Australia will not be taking part in the upcoming ice age.
40°C+ is all we need.

I beg to differ, I'm on the mid west coast of Aussie, Feb is normally our hottest month and Jan not much better, but this year it has been decidedly cooler.
It's usually 35c+ this time of year, but it's been under 32c for weeks, correspondently cooler at night too.
Never had to put a blanket on the bed in Feb before!

cheers PQ

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Hmmm and here I thought we was suffering from the la nina effect..... I wonder where the dailymail gets in info from......

Besides the world hasnt gotten hot enough to cause the mini ice age....

[edit on 7-2-2010 by loner007]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I can only speak for myself but we had a long hot summer in '09, but now that you said something it was shorter and cooler than the summers of '06-'08. Also this winter we are either at average temperatures or below, in january we did not see 80F once and we usually see 80 atleast 5 days every january. We barely even got in the 70F's but maybe 5 times. Very abnormal winter this year. No complaints on my end though since I love it cold 10F is perfect with a light sweater and jeans.
But I can also say the same about 100 with bright sunshine
But I LOVE the cold, global warming pissed me off
Now global cooling, I can dig that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join