It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mini ice age starts here

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

The mini ice age starts here

www.dailymail.co.uk

The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It's about time that some of the scientists involved with the IPCC, and their associate organisations started bringing this to light.

AGW is WRONG, and will continue to be WRONG whilst advocacy is the priority and not science. As usual, the politics and the money-making have taken over, the science just isn't playing ball any more. Cue, the scientists who disagree, and according to this article, the hate-mail they've been receiving from both sides of the debate. The nutters are coming out to play it seems?

Discuss.

Parallex.

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Okay.. well.. Since you seem to be basing your disproof of global warming on the fact that it's cold -- during winter -- then when summer rolls around, if it's still really, really cold, I'll support this.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I was always under the impression that a global warming would include an ice age. I never understood those who insisted that GW means we'd fry, it just isn't logical. I won't go into why it isn't logical, many have already posted facts about gulf streams, weather patterns and all that here before; which only leads me to think the OP's linked article only CONFIRMS global warming.

I do know that here in MA we had only an extended spring, no summer, and this winter so far isn't as bad as past years--which all strengthen my thoughts on a coming rapid cooling time consistent with a **global warming theory.

I am often mistaken though.

**My personal GW theory: Earth changes. That sun sure is bright.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Got to admit that I have felt for the last 20 years that our seasons (at least here on the SE coast of the UK) have been messed up..

so I would not be surprised if we are moving into a mini ice age..

Was rather hoping we would get a little more tropical tho and finally get some sun to my lilly white legs

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I told a friend last week that this was the start of a mini ice age...I was only speculating really,but I HAVE to show him this article,because part of my speculation was that the moving north pole would result in messing up our gulf stream,and leading to much cooler weather.

The pole shift begins!
Stick that in yer AGW pipe and smoke it.
Anned posted this graphic in another thread,which shows the big picture,and destroys what the AGW people are shouting about:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This isn't anything new. Just the un-scientists are starting to notice now.
Poles are in the process of shifting for awhile now. Ocean currents are changing. Redistribution of ice is happening.
If only we could get trees to grow in the Sahara... that would be really cool.
China seeding clouds and changing the direction of rivers isn't cool.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Actually our earth is due to an ice age for quite some time, "The Little Ice Age" which occurred between the 14th and 19th Centuries. Basically, it was a period of cooling (perhaps only a few degrees) which scientists theorize may have been caused by changing warm/cold water currents in the Atlantic Ocean. This cooling, though hardly on par with a major ice age, had a profound effect on Europe.

If anybody read American history one of the most talk topics was the bitter cold that soldiers had to endure during that time in our history, and that was considered toward the end of the mini ice age.

Even Washington crossing the Delaware depict the bitter cold and ice over the river and in pictures.

Yes we are do for another, global warming is nothing but money grabbing scam

[edit on 10-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Star for you:-) (edit: typo)
For a while I implemented EU Environmental directives and was responsible for defining solutions.. but at no point was anyone able to give me anything more than fluffy guestimation of what the problem was for me to define a solution.. It was about corporate finances and profit making schemes, your right about the corporate scam, and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

[edit on 10/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Considering they seem to have trouble working out if it's going to snow in the next day, week etc. then I find it hard to believe this...it makes sense, but I think it simply comes down to a few possible things:

1) Seasons are cyclic by nature and we are going to have some proper distinguished seasons again, which will over the next 20 / 30 years become intertwined again so its hard to distinguish between them (as it has been the last few years) and then it resets and repeats...

2) GW (or climate change) is the cause and things are going to get worse between the summer/winter seasons. (Note: GW/climate change being natural and not man-made).

3) There are changes going on related to space/sun etc. and we are entering a mini ice-age.

Take your pick.

[edit on 10/1/10 by AlwaysQuestion]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Is this like evolution? We change with the climate changes?
Or are the aliens making is snow too much?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
To be honest, England didnt have a summer in 2009, it was so cold for a summer and i can see with my own eyes that the weather is getting colder, i dont need a scientist to tell me that, people need to stop being sheep and believing everything they are told, we are well over due an ice age and you only gotta look around to see how the weather is changing dramatically.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

It's about time that some of the scientists involved with the IPCC, and their associate organisations started bringing this to light.

AGW is WRONG, and will continue to be WRONG whilst advocacy is the priority and not science. As usual, the politics and the money-making have taken over, the science just isn't playing ball any more. Cue, the scientists who disagree, and according to this article, the hate-mail they've been receiving from both sides of the debate. The nutters are coming out to play it seems?

Discuss.

Parallex.

www.dailymail.co.uk

This is a very interesting story... However, why do you feel the need to attach the AGW debate to it?

I believe you may have ruined what could have been an interesting thread. Are there not enough AGW debating threads already out there?

A mini ice age no more proves the AGW sceptic’s argument than the 3 years of drought that California has suffered proves AGW!

No one ever said that global warming would mean that all weather trends and patterns would suddenly cease!!!

It's a shame that we seem to be unable to discuss anything to do with the weather or climate, these days, without being dragged into the whole climate change argument... very tedious indeed

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Just so you know, Australia will not be taking part in the upcoming ice age.
40°C+ is all we need.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

But how can anyone discuss weather without talking about climate change? How is this upsetting? The climate affects weather. Weather is always changing as the climate changes. not "Climate Changes", but natural highs and lows of NATURAL climate and weather patterns.

Now, if we could discuss climate changes without attaching "OMGWTFGLOBALWARMING!!!11!!" That would be peachy!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
To be honest, England didnt have a summer in 2009,

I live in Western New York and all I heard about in Autumn was how we did not ever get a summer in 2009 either.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Actually, Latif's model (from Keenlyside et al., 2008) suggests the 'global cooling' (more a global 'pause' really) should have started in 1995.

Red is Hadley observations, black is modelled IPCC scenario projection, and green is the Keenlyside et al. model.

It was already diverging from actual observations in the latter parts of the hindcast verification. The general idea is that good models should be able to reproduce past observations.

But I like the way the article (and hisself) is bigging up his model as saying more than it actually is. I guess he thinks the observations will start trending down towards their model, lol. Time will tell (2009 was around .44'C on that figure).

Wonder if they took the offer of the 2500Euro bet from James Annan et al?

[edit on 10-1-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Just so you know, Australia will not be taking part in the upcoming ice age.
40°C+ is all we need.

Your not in the northern hemisphere, that is why you are not seing the effects.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Actually we got a summer here on the coast (shame it only lasted until the kids broke up for the summer holidays)

But still my birthday has always been first day of the school holidays and always been the point when it gets warmer not colder as it did this year, it felt like Autumn started in July!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Just to give this thread a little boost of information:

Record low temperatures in Cuba - 8 Jan 10
Sweden braces for near-record cold - 5 Jan 10
Deep freeze to continue across Europe - 7 Jan 10
Britain paralysed by snow and freezing weather -
Facing coldest winter in 100 years - 5 Jan 10
Record snowfall in Beijing could push up food prices - 4 Jan 10
Record snowfall in Seoul - worst since 1951 in Beijing - 4 Jan 10
Some Nebraska cities cut off - 8 Jan 10
131-year low in Key West - 8 Jan 10
Brutal cold hits Midwest, heads South - 7 Jan 10
Blizzard warning - South Dakota - 6 Jan 10
Record snow in Burlington, VT - 2-3 Jan 10
Mini ice age could hit in a matter of months, not years - December 1, 2009

Solar Geomagnetic Activity at all-time Low -
Only "zero" could be lower
wattsupwiththat.com... /

PS: Today - Army has been put on standby as britain braces for even colder temperatures and another 8 inches of snow.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Itop1]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join