It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

agnatheist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DissentFromDayOne
reply to post by Wookiep

People can be whatever they want to be, but I can tell you--based upon God's word in the Bible, my ultimate authority--that being an agnostic/atheist/combo will NOT get you into Heaven.

As someone with faith in God myself, I tend think this way sometimes however, (and this is a BIG however) Just because we may believe what we do, that by no means gives us a right to put God in a box. If we follow what we believe then it's VERY important to understand that our belief structure teaches us clearly not to delve into who gets into heaven and who does not. That in itself is a huge reason why many people stray from "religion" in general IMHO.

Don't look at the church on your street corner or the Jerry Falwell's as your perception of true Christianity.

I do agree. These mainstream "christians" are quite cose-minded and very....superficial to say the least. They tend to make what I believe to be "true christianity" a very bad image.

All you need to be a true Christian is a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ as your savior (w/ a King James bible in hand). You could be in a cave in Borneo and be a true Christian.

I agree, but all too often the bible is used as a tool to *prove* God to an athiest. What must be understood is that the bible is not proof to an athiest as they take it as more of an ancient story book (with the term fairytale tossed around a lot). If I engange in convo with someone who doesn't take the bible seriously, I don't see the need to bring it up.

You do not need one of these false, so-called physical churches. Rick Warren and all these other false teachers are leading you straight into a one-world-religion (hint: you WILL worship at their religion or you will not live....atheists/agnostics will not be allowed) and straight to eternal damnation.

Repentance and Jesus Christ are the only way (this coming from a former sinner's sinner).

It's all about searching for yourself, or as commonly phrased God will search for *you*. In the world we live in, I believe the REAL message was lost a long time ago and corrupted by greed-driven churches (for the most part) and really are the cause of so much angst toward Christianity in general.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
The question now is there a real big difference between an athiest and an agnostic? So far, I'm not seeing huge differences

I wish people (not you) would look up words before they try to apply new meanings to them.

Atheist (Strong): "There is NO God".
Atheist (Weak): "I don't believe in a God"
Agnostic: "We cannot know whether or not there is a God, so there may be or there may not be."
Theist: There IS a God.

It's clear-cut and simple. No ambiguity. Any other beliefs, spiritual, supernatural or otherwise are irrelevant when describing theism.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

The question now is there a real big difference between an athiest and an agnostic? So far, I'm not seeing huge differences

I wish people (not you) would look up words before they try to apply new meanings to them.

Atheist (Strong): "There is NO God".
Atheist (Weak): "I don't believe in a God"
Agnostic: "We cannot know whether or not there is a God, so there may be or there may not be."
Theist: There IS a God.

It's clear-cut and simple. No ambiguity. Any other beliefs, spiritual, supernatural or otherwise are irrelevant when describing theism.

Either way one is having a preference and understanding in either direction and how they want to conceptualize it. One has to be careful though they dont become trapped in the box and become religiously bigotted for their religion of Theism, Atheism or Agnosticism. Because at the end of the day... it is a proven fact that we are all Humans on this planet that share the same individual physical characteristics and emotional traits that make us equal.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

I agree 100%. I fully support the first Amendment and our freedom of religion. I don't argue about religion with people or try to get them to agree with me about beliefs. Beliefs are personal. Each person should be free to have and express their own.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm an atheist, but I believe the universe could have been created, but not by anything that we would recognize.
The universe might be some kind of "computer" simulation. In that case, I don't think we would necessarily be able to understand what lies beyond the simulation.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Tearman]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Epsillion70

I agree 100%. I fully support the first Amendment and our freedom of religion. I don't argue about religion with people or try to get them to agree with me about beliefs. Beliefs are personal. Each person should be free to have and express their own.

Great post, star! I may believe totally different than you, but I'm the same way. why argue? to each their own.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
woops

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Yes, atheists believe there is no creator figure. They are probably there with no leg to stand on.

Agnostics hedge their bets, of course, by saying "Ok, I'll believe it when I see it" - I don't think they have much hope of redemption.

Then you get the believers in God. But these are also the believers in Allah, who loath the believers in God, so I suppose you are OK if you believed in the right one.

So, basically, we are probably stuffed.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
reply to post by Wookiep

Yes, atheists believe there is no creator figure. They are probably there with no leg to stand on.

Agnostics hedge their bets, of course, by saying "Ok, I'll believe it when I see it" - I don't think they have much hope of redemption.

Then you get the believers in God. But these are also the believers in Allah, who loath the believers in God, so I suppose you are OK if you believed in the right one.

One is only "stuffed" if they create an only in the box dogma that ostracizes every other human being and thus become a religious bigot-ism with blinkers on yeah? And we have had that for the last thousand years and we definitely don't want to see that crap again!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epsillion70

Originally posted by learningtofly
reply to post by Wookiep

One is only "stuffed" if they create an only in the box dogma that ostracizes every other human being and thus become a religious bigot-ism with blinkers on yeah? And we have had that for the last thousand years and we definitely don't want to see that crap again!

Hmm see this is a prime example of what very very many people put "God believers" into. It's just as bad as putting an atheist in a box that consists of nothing but being "close-minded".

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I think it's safe to say that not all athiests think alike.

...of course theres diversity among atheists, just like theres diversity among every other grouping in the world...

it needs to be made clear that the common perception of an athiest is: They do not believe in God or the afterlife or anything spiritual. Science and science alone is the key to understanding our universe.

...thats a common misconception held by people who have never picked up a dictionary...

However, after reading some of the replies here, it's not for me or anyone else to place someone in a box.

...surely that doesnt apply to morticians...

I do find it curious why the misperception of athiests is so geared toward having a closed mind. I must admit, most of the ones I have met in life seem pretty closed-minded and I don't know why.

...i suspect it has more to do with the perceiver than the atheist...

The question now is there a real big difference between an athiest and an agnostic? So far, I'm not seeing huge differences, in fact before I created this thread I would have thought most the athiests that have posted here sound like agnostics. I'm very surprised that my view has been challenged.

...atheists do not believe in any deity... agnostics are fence riders... simple...

...about the ghost hunting thang - sure, that'd be cool as long as i can bring a whoopee cushion, a whistle and kazoo...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...surely that doesnt apply to morticians...

LOL I should have thought of it.. great line, star just for that.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Wookiep]

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I consider myself a spiritual atheist. I don't believe their is an omnipotent being out there. Ultimately, there's nobody judging me but myself. I also don't believe in anything supernatural. I think the big bang theory sums up spirituality quite well. We all root from the same source. In essence, we're all one. Besides this, I do my best not to believe much else. Do I get caught up in conspiracy theories that may not be true? Yes. This has more to do with skepticism than atheism, though. I don't rely heavily on the scientific method for everything. Some things are best suited to intuitions and common sense. I'm willing to bet everything I got that the strict atheists are all INTJ's from the briggs-myers personality typology. I'm an INTP. More open to possibilities without having all the data first. Not on the biggest issue. Not with the concept of God. Have seen too much, experienced too much, to accept this. IMO, god is the idealization of man. We created him in our image.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I'm willing to bet everything I got that the strict atheists are all INTJ's from the briggs-myers personality typology. I'm an INTP.

Care to expand on that some? I am not familiar with the acronym.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Myers-Briggs Type

Intuitive-Extrovert
Sensation-Intuition
Thinking-Feeling
Judging-Perceiving

Just a way to understand the mindset of individuals. This system has four dichotomies which people tend to gravitate at one side or the other.

Here's a summary of a stereotypical INTP:

As an INTP, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you deal with things rationally and logically. Your secondary mode is external, where you take things in primarily via your intuition. INTPs live in the world of theoretical possibilities. They see everything in terms of how it could be improved, or what it could be turned into. They live primarily inside their own minds, having the ability to analyze difficult problems, identify patterns, and come up with logical explanations. They seek clarity in everything, and are therefore driven to build knowledge. They are the "absent-minded professors", who highly value intelligence and the ability to apply logic to theories to find solutions. They typically are so strongly driven to turn problems into logical explanations, that they live much of their lives within their own heads, and may not place as much importance or value on the external world. Their natural drive to turn theories into concrete understanding may turn into a feeling of personal responsibility to solve theoretical problems, and help society move towards a higher understanding. ....

THE THINKER

and a stereotypical INTJ:

As an INTJ, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you take things in primarily via your intuition. Your secondary mode is external, where you deal with things rationally and logically. INTJs live in the world of ideas and strategic planning. They value intelligence, knowledge, and competence, and typically have high standards in these regards, which they continuously strive to fulfill. To a somewhat lesser extent, they have similar expectations of others. With Introverted Intuition dominating their personality, INTJs focus their energy on observing the world, and generating ideas and possibilities. Their mind constantly gathers information and makes associations about it. They are tremendously insightful and usually are very quick to understand new ideas. However, their primary interest is not understanding a concept, but rather applying that concept in a useful way. Unlike the INTP, they do not follow an idea as far as they possibly can, seeking only to understand it fully. INTJs are driven to come to conclusions about ideas. Their need for closure and organization usually requires that they take some action. ....

The Scientist

You can take the test here. I've yet to see someone who doesn't match up at least 90% !!

Test

[edit on 12-1-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I'm an INFP. (apparently)

And fall in the Category of "the healer" in the role variants of the Keirsey Temperament Sorter.

The polite, reserved exterior of INFPs can at first make them difficult to get to know. They enjoy conversation, however, taking particular delight in the unusual. When INFPs are in a sociable mood, their humor and charm shine through. Disposed to like people and to avoid conflict, INFPs tend to make pleasant company.

Devoted to those in their inner circle, INFPs guard the emotional well-being of others, consoling those in distress. Guided by their desire for harmony, INFPs prefer to be flexible unless their ethics are violated.
Then, they become passionate advocates for their beliefs. They are often able to sway the opinions of others through tact, diplomacy, and an ability to see varying sides of an issue. INFPs develop these insights through reflection, and they require substantial time alone to ponder and process new information. While they can be quite patient with complex material, they are generally bored by routine

The Idealist

[edit on 12/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Cool. Seeing as you're not a strict atheist, I've still got some change to throw away today.

My best friend was an INFP. We split paths because she couldn't tell the truth to me. She preferred group cohesion so much, and felt so strongly, that she found the need to lie constantly. I found it rather bizarre, called her out, and we split. In my mind a lie is never a right. In her mind, lie away to save the day!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Funny thing is, the last time i took this i think i was an INTP.

Who knows.

But i certainly wouldn't judge anyone on their personality type.
I may try again at some point and see what i get.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I don't judge anyone because of their personality type. That's ludicrous. I judge people by their actions and intentions. I've showed up INTP each time. Have taken the test at least 6 times over the years. Sometimes the J is nearly as strong as the P, but all others are strong.

Well, never-mind. Just took the test. The T was least strong this time! I have been rather sympathetic lately and focusing on clearing emotional issues.

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
67 75 12 33

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Well, never-mind. Just took the test. The T was least strong this time! I have been rather sympathetic lately and focusing on clearing emotional issues.

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
67 75 12 33

Ok I'll try it again and post results

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join