It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Suicide Epidemic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This is my first thread and if I am posting this in the wrong place, I apologize. But this does seem quite above the normal.

There has been a string of teen suicides in a small town, almost all of the teen's had some kind of connection (friendship/blood relation). Here is the link with the full story.

www.newsweek.com...

It literally seems like something out of a horror film. Any idea's as to what could be going on?
Could it really be just some online suicide pact? Or do you think there is more to it than that?

-BryDaws

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Brydaws

This is so sad - these teens are always online and responding to what they are told online. I believe this may have been an agreement.

Computers may be a great invention, plus cell phones etc - but nothing can replace face to face relating with people - and we are losing that.

I think this was because young people are so impressionable.

And probably their parents are too removed, or they are told by their mates to ignore their parents.

Technology has cost us the world as we know it.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Very Very strange indeed.
Extremely

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by learningtofly

Very true.

I mean some of them have been getting praise from their peers! How insane is that? If I had any idea one of my friends was suicidal, I would try my best to convince them that they are important to me, not that they should do it and ill be in line right behind them.

It is very sad. and confusing.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Brydaws

OK, great, but how often do you relate to your friends, on a face to face basis?

I mean, not via cell phones etc?

Would you ever say to a mate "I love you?" face to face?

The reason people were saying go for it is because the younger generation has been switched off by tv, computer games, cell phones and everything else.

And I think the reason is, because if they are drafted into war, or asked to kill their neighbour, they will no longer be sensitive enough to refuse.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Unfortunately, that is not the only place it happens... Where I live, we have the highest suicide rate in Canada and nobody seems to care. It's "almost 10 times the rate of the city of Montreal"...

Suicide in Nunavik

Rep ort on Inuit Suicide

The stats are from 2008, as I couldn't find anything more recent...

It's always sad when people kill themselves. There is one thing the article in the OP mentioned that really struck me.

"I've been on some of their personal pages on Bebo, and they were talking about 'I don't think I can cope with it,' and 'I'm going to end it.' I didn't think they'd really do it." His friend George adds, "It's like it's the fashion or something."

"It's like it's the fashion or something." I'm not saying that people are killing themselves because it's fashionable. One possibility that I am thinking of is that because of the rise of diagnosed cases of ADD, teen depression, and other various mental illnesses, teens believe that they are stigmatized and give themselves an "excuse" to do it. Another is the possibility that over medication is causing the teens to become suicidal. Remember that anti-depressants have side effects, including suicidal thoughts...

I am just throwing around ideas here. I really have no clue as to why teens in the particular place mentioned in the OP are committing suicide, I don't have all the facts about the actual village.

As far as the Inuit population committing suicide at a rate varying from 120/100 000 to 160/100 000 (depending on the area), I can tell you that where I live it's mostly a mix between alcohol problems, high abuse rate (sexual, conjugal, child), under diagnosed depression, and severe economic and social issues because of drastic culture changes in a very short period of time (some places only 50 years from stone age to modern time) just to name a few....

I don't think there is anything we can do to stop people from doing it. In my experience, the ones who call for help before doing it by saying they will do it, are the ones most likely to be saved. I unfortunately find the quiet ones when it's too late...

Now I'm depressed...

Magnum

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Someone has to step in and save these kids.

Who?

Technology seems to be a suicide machine.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by learningtofly

The main problem is not "who?" but "how?". If I take someone who is suicidal to the Dr. for evaluation and he/she tells the Dr. that everything is ok and that they were just speaking out of anger, or it was just something that flew out of their mouth, the Dr. can't force them to get help. The person can waltz out of the office and do whatever they want. I've seen people get sent to the hospital in another village because they were literally psychotic: seeing the devil who is telling them to kill themselves (this place is very religiously brainwashed) and the next morning they were out because they either refused treatment or refused to admit that they have a problem. As long as there is not IMMEDIATE danger for them (now, not later or tomorrow) then they have to let them go!

If we were to try the court order road, we'd have nobody left in town; they'd all be committed.

It's sad, it's ludicrous, it's horrible, but unfortunately my reality...

Magnum

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

What can I say - I am so sorry that that is your reality.

All I can reiterate is that people need to communicate on a face to face basis - and, I know, try telling that to kids.

What can we expect - we have removed the world from our children - they live through another dimension - a bad one.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Brydaws

Very strange that these have occured all in the same area and by the same method, my first thoughts are that maybe it isn't suicide?

I wish I had no knowledge of teen suicide, unfortunately we attended a funeral 2 weeks ago of a 15 yr old who shot himself. No warning signs, he was an A student, band member, had lots of friends,loving family, and had just celebrated his birthday.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Sad indeed.

I think its probably a combination of factors. Off the top of my head:

-The poor economy creates stresses for everyone, including kids.

-Children these days seem, for the most part, raised in very unnatural environments, surrounded by technology and computers...its not what our nervous systems are constructed to handle.

-Many kids are overmedicated from a young age, too, popping all kinds of pills for ADD, etc...in my day they'd just snap at you to simmer down, or else bring out the belt (not saying that's better, of course).

-Parents and children have strange relationships...kids seem to be either nearly "feral" and ignored by their parents, or else pushed into all these highly organized activities like lessons for this and that, tightly scheduled "play dates, etc." What happened to lazy summer days with a fishing rod and a good book?

-The whole "self esteem" movement -- "you are a special shining star," -- well, not always. And that's OK. But there is this weird obsession with "fame" among the young that probably comes from lack of sufficient contact with real people, family and otherwise. Many seem to conflate love and attention with garbage like how many MySpace "friends" they have, etc. Many seem raised with the expectation that you are either a millionare music star or a worthless "loser," and no inbetween. Its got to be hard to wake up to reality after a childhood of that nonsense.

I'm sure there are millions of decent, great kids out there, so I'll add the obligatory disclaimer that I'm not tarring-and-feathering an entire generation here...just noting some trends.

[edit on 1/10/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
i remember when this started, by the sounds of it, the town like most in england and wales has no prospects for the young, no clubs jobs anything.
i know whats its like i lived in a town just like it but luckily for me i moved but some people just dont have tht option.
i remember being very suicidal at one point.
even when i go back you can feel the depreswion and helplessness.
alot of people are alcoholic and rely on alcohol there.

its terrible when you feel there is nothing let but death its a shame people arent doing more in these towns across the world to help

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The town in question was once a prosperous mining town.
The mines shut down resulting in massive unemployment/poverty,which in turn led to more domestic violence/alchohol and drug abuse.

I wonder if there is a lack of natuarally occuring lithium in the water supplies there,which may heighten the risk of suicides.
(That does not mean I think its acceptable to add lithium to the water BTW).

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Living in Wales myself,I would imagine the weather is would be detrimental to anyone suffering from severe depression.

Side note:I wonder how long before someone will blame this on "secret government mind control rays."
Won't be long knowing this place

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

You mentioned the weather being detrimental. Is that because there is almost always overcast in that area? Makes sense, isn't sunshine (or the vitamin D that it provides) a part of the process of people who are suffering from depression?

I understand that this isn't the only case of a town having a lot of suicides in the world. Because as some of you have said, the economy and the state of the world is in a bit of a slump and everyone is a little down right now. But its just the little details that have struck me odd.

The manner of the suicides. They ALL hanged themselves. I am not saying there is a right way to do it. But they did it in a fashion where you would basically suffer and feel your life slipping away slowly. Why?

Also, the other kids seem to encourage it, and praise it. It just seems out of the ordinary. I bet there are towns with much higher suicide ratings. But the fact that these are all so closely related and similar is what is baffling me.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
are mind and mood altering techniques used against mass populations? i hate to sound so conspiracy theorist, but i have recently been struggling with some strong urges...to say the least. i have not had any problems like this for years and years and nothing happened to make me feel this way this time. its completely irrational.
anyways, i'd like to think it is something outside of myself that has brought this on. :/

have these kids taken tamiflu recently? '

lithium in water is naturally occurring? strange.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
are mind and mood altering techniques used against mass populations? i hate to sound so conspiracy theorist, but i have recently been struggling with some strong urges...to say the least. i have not had any problems like this for years and years and nothing happened to make me feel this way this time. its completely irrational.
anyways, i'd like to think it is something outside of myself that has brought this on. :/

have these kids taken tamiflu recently? '

lithium in water is naturally occurring? strange.

dont quote me on it but im sure the first lot of suicides happen before hte swine flu/ tami flu happened, i think the first suicide started in 2007

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Valley communities in Wales are usually very close knit because of the way our history has played out over the years(mining communities, lack of opportunities to break class boundaries, chapel on a Sunday being the only source of education for most in the 1800's etc). Of course things are different in this day and age but the strong sense of community is still very strong amongst most Welsh towns and city's. I'm wondering, as most of the victims either knew each other or had connections through each other if it was just a shock wave effect. A sadness that spread through the community as each individual gave up their life. I also agree that the weather could have had a helping hand, its usually raining in South Wales. Last summer we had a a week or two of hot days and the rest was usually overcast and rainy.
There are so many explanations for this, I don't really think its anything to do with the paranormal. Technology has changed the way we think, behave and interact. This paired with irresponsible people like the individual mentioned in the article who offers advice to minors on how to commit suicide is just a recipe for disaster. Just my opinion on the matter.
Matt

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Nerf]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I remember this occurring in a small town close to where I live, over the coarse of a few months I think there was over 25 teenagers who committed suicide...many of whom I was friends with. I'm not saying the two are connected but this was around the same time there was a lot of rumors being told that Warwick (the town) was slowly becoming the witchcraft capitol of Australia.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I can offer only two explanations:

1: A suicide pact: These young people all agree to commit suicide.

2: The subsequent suicide victims were saddened by the loss of their first friend, enough so to commit suicide themselves.

Either way, it is a tragic waste of life.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Something very odd is going on.

I don't believe its a suicide pact or a domino effect. Its not easy to actually bring yourself to kill yourself. 17 dead all from hanging. Not one of them messed it up, showed excessive depressive signs, was caught in the act or couldnt go through with it and broke down to their parents ? They did probably know each other its a small town but hanging ? Hardly easy or painless.

Something else is definately going on. Cult sacrifices maybe ? Some kind of gang murders ? Maybe mind control shouldnt be ruled out.

<<   2 >>

join